2021 1290 Super Duke GT - any known issues?

that is an odd one,,,,
i would go back and have a look at the road first,, some very big pot holes around where i am at the moment,, then i think the bike needs a closer looking at,, are the tyres still inflated ? are the calipers tight ? are the pads still in the calipers ? is the chain still on ? etc , would think there might be a clue on close inspection,,
hope he recovers well ,, best of luck :comfort

Or the clocks coming up to meet the helmet, ala an uncontrolled wheelie.

Less likely, as rider's momentum would be going backwards, too, if it was unintended.

Wouldn't an engine seizure lock the rear wheel and cause skidmarks? (stop giggling at the back!)

I have a mate who had one of these which threw him over the bars into a ditch. He swears he was doing nothing untoward and it was at fairly low speed. I seem to remember that the official conclusion was that the brakes had self-applied and that fter an investigation, whilst in no way accepting liability, KTM gave him all his money back...

I have a mate who had one of these which threw him over the bars into a ditch. He swears he was doing nothing untoward and it was at fairly low speed. I seem to remember that the official conclusion was that the brakes had self-applied and that fter an investigation, whilst in no way accepting liability, KTM gave him all his money back...

We have a winner

Read post #12

Thanks for that. I'll forward it to my friend.

Was your mate actually doing an OR at the time, or is that my imagination?

So, do we tell Bernard or not?

Get the ECU examined independently, not by KTM

Thanks Brian. Yes, I've had that discussion with my friend. He's not one to take things lying down. This is a guy who lodged with me 30 years ago when he was the manager of a shoe shop and now owns a chain of pubs, clubs and restaurants and a building company. He's worked his arse off and still works 16 hours a day, built his own mansion from a ruined barn, employs what must be several hundred people and still manages to be one of life's good guys.

I feel a bit responsible for this since I pretty much talked him onto the KTM when his ZZR1400 was no longer comfortable enough for him to ride. In fact he'd just sat on a KTM at the bike show in the NEC before we came across your Guzzi on the stand there.

Medical condition, minor stroke? I was on a bike trip with a group of mates in France a few years ago when one of them had one suddenly while riding, just went down hard like a sack of spuds, (the bike was a write off, no memory afterwards, okay now, back riding.

Can the handguards touch the levers? Even gentle pressure will build up enough heat to apply the brakes violently, although I would have thought the ABS should have prevented wheel lock-up. I once dealt with a DRZ400 that had spat its rider off that way.
It would help to know if the 17m of marks on the road are tyre scuffs (skid marks) or slide marks from the bike on its side.
Good luck to your mate in getting this sorted.

Can the handguards touch the levers? Even gentle pressure will build up enough heat to apply the brakes violently, I once dealt with a DRZ400 that had spat its rider off that way.

A mate bought some fake pazzo's from china, the front brake lever pushed the piston in slightly, locked the front up and spat him over the bars, Gsxr was a right off.

The one & only time I have been spat off a new bike, it was eventually diagnosed as a seizure. Given the sudden unexpected rear lock-up, the fact that I had 2 fingers covering the front brake lever probably exacerbated the crash & added to the mystery of it all, aided & abetted of course by slick new tyres. I felt a right chump at the time, but at least my gear had saved me from any significant injury, just the bruised pride.

It wasn't until some months later, when high oil consumption emerged, that the dealer undertook a top end strip down - 2 of the 4 bores had strange scoring, which proved to be the result of there being no gudgeon pin circlips fitted. Over time the GPs had drifted into the nikasil lined bores, eventually wearing through the coating, so a dry seizure when new seemed highly likely.

Schtum, any follow up on this? Hope your friend is getting better.

Thanks Harry. I've not spoken to him in a while. The last thing he said was that it had been a tough couple of months but he's on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom