Fairing bolts

davy1100

Reaction score
Hi folks I removed the tank panel , 2 side tank panels the front scoop and the 2 black panels below the tank i noticed most of the bolts have a small shoulder my question is does anyone know where the longer bolts with the bigger shoulder go I put 2 in the front of the middle tank panel not sure they are right all help much appreciated

Check out on Youtube - abikething he pulls them apart all the time!

I took most of the bolts out of my front end a few weeks ago

The size of the hole will dictate whether is the shanked or non shanked bolt

I did one side at a time for that reason ;)

Another way to check, if you've done the bolt up tight and there is still movement on the panel, you've got a long shank, where it should be a short shank

I took most of the bolts out of my front end a few weeks ago

The size of the hole will dictate whether is the shanked or non shanked bolt

I did one side at a time for that reason ;)

Another way to check, if you've done the bolt up tight and there is still movement on the panel, you've got a long shank, where it should be a short shank

Yeah I have movement on the 2 long shoulder bolts on front of tank panel was hoping someone might have a schematic showing sizes

If you google the bolt part numbers it should take you to Motorrad-moto.de which shows clear pictures :thumb2

Jon

I’ve just fitted the Denali lights so had mine apart which I’ve done many times over the years :blast

This time I had two big shoulder short torx screws left over :confused:

I can’t see anywhere where I’ve missed them off. Short of taking all panels off again the only place I can think of is the side beak fixings which you can’t see with big plastic side panels fitted :blast :confused:

I took the front panels off mine and had a bolt left over, so I took them all off and when I’d put them back I was missing one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the front panels off mine and had a bolt left over, so I took them all off and when I’d put them back I was missing one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D:D:D:D

One tip....

When removing panels (or anything with lots of different sized bolts) is to stick the bolts through some corrugated cardboard. Not least as it saves muddling them up on the floor, in a jar or just in your pocket. You can then scribble on the cardboard a simple drawing or even a very basic arrow ‘front’ or indeed anything to remind you where the bolt came from.

Take a pic at each location with your phone and the bolt in your hand:blast

Which works really well, right up to the moment when matey boy, who has lobbed maybe 16 bolts into a pot, realises his error. He then holds several up, trying to work out which bolt is which, in several of the pictures.

That being said, taking pictures of things as they are taken apart is, very often, a very good reminder as to how it goes back together.

One tip....

When removing panels (or anything with lots of different sized bolts) is to stick the bolts through some corrugated cardboard. Not least as it saves muddling them up on the floor, in a jar or just in your pocket. You can then scribble on the cardboard a simple drawing or even a very basic arrow ‘front’ or indeed anything to remind you where the bolt came from.

I took a while using up all my artistic talent on cardboard and popped all the screws into their corresponding holes. Then I remembered taking these two screws off (can’t remember where from :blast) and I thought to myself.... it’s obvious where they go and popped them on the floor of garage. These are still unfixed to the bike :blast :D

I’m going to have to take bike apart AGAIN!, :(

Hi folks I removed the tank panel , 2 side tank panels the front scoop and the 2 black panels below the tank i noticed most of the bolts have a small shoulder my question is does anyone know where the longer bolts with the bigger shoulder go I put 2 in the front of the middle tank panel not sure they are right all help much appreciated

I see no mentioning of GS or GSA as well as what year.

However, the realoem.com pages will give you all the details you need.

Here is the link for the GSA, but trace back and select the GS if needed.. The sub chapter is 'Frame and Mounting parts'

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0J51-EUR-01-2019-K51-BMW-R_1250_GS_Adv_0J51,_0J53_&mg=46

Something like this might help.
R1200GS%20Panel%20Screw%20Location-M.jpg

I know you’ve solved the problem now but just for future reference for anyone who does a search and finds this thread, have a look at Jim Von Baden’s YouTube videos about removing bodywork. He covers all the bolts in the GSA LC strip down:

https://youtu.be/kwW2lqC04ls

Back
Top Bottom