New sat Nav, Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm on the search for a new sat nav as my Zumo 550 is now being held together with duct tape etc. I'm posting it here in the Ireland section as I prefer to shop local and have a strong aversion to the river in south America.
I quite liked the Zumo, for all its' faults. Price isn't a major consideration as some other poor b'tard is going to have to pay for it. (Big roundy b'day pressie. :rob )
When I was stuck a while back I used my phone and hated every minute of it. I'm also thinking of getting some wireless ear buds to link up with it and to play some tunes as I tootle along.

Let the wise and noble advice begin.

Edit, just to add, I checked most of the web sites for Irish stores and they all seem to be out of stock or have very limited stock.

that nutty ash bloke has an xt - ask him :D

would a sneaky to the north be in order when it opens soon?

i have a zumo 346 bought in 18 about 6 months after they launched - i never buy electrical tat as it launches

seems ok does the garmin thing of when youre on a nice road sending you off on a small road to connect to the road you were already on even tho its set not to do that :D

tried tomtom but i just find big g easier to use (im old)

Always been a Garmin guy but not sure why - like Hairnet I never buy the latest shiniest thing as the one it replaces has almost as much (proven) functionally at the "remaindered" much more modest cost. Ear speakers I have passed on - one thing I like about the bike is solitude - me, the road & the map on screen is plenty; no blather! But bladder - now there's a thing:pissl

Frodi,
With my experience of the Garmin Nav6 I would go for something else.
Doesn't turn off sometimes you have to take it out of the cradle and do it
manually. As for actually getting a map or route to go somewhere it fails
miserably. My old Nav5 and even the old Garmin 660 work fine in the BMW
cradle.
Awaiting news from BMW as to what they are going to do about it
Regards
Matt

over here in lalaland, the Zumo 346 & 396 are being discounted, presumably as end of line. 250 quid for a new Zumo 396 covering all of Europe seems good value compared to the XT or BMW versions. https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/garmin-zumo-396-lm-gps-689746 but border complexities to consider.

There are some "whitebox" refurbished ones for a little cheaper. Check ebay for sellers in the EU.

Have you looked to see what the German retailers FCMoto or Louis are offering?

I got myself a 396 in the end. It was the only reasonably priced (under €500) Garmin available in the country. Thanks Brexit!
I tried it out last weekend and it does its' job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom