Which Africa Twin pre or post 2020

samsgs

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one but am unsure whether its worth the premium for the 2020 bike. I understand the differences and the new bike seems to have lost weight but I am wondering whether the improvements in the DCT are worth paying the extra for.

Any advice?

thanks

I’m no great fan of the new dash (hate TFTs with a vengeance) and the controls buttons are a joke IMHO on the latest AT. I test rode the (updated) 18 model and it’s a hell of a bike, awesome exhaust and bags of character compared to the rather dare I say soulless LC R1200s I rode back to back. It’s on my shortlist of two for next bike and companion to a Himalayan.

Following with interest, The Pre 2020 AT among others is on my radar next

bought a new 2019 ATAS DCT and did 10k miles in one year (leisure riding only). didnt miss and beat and was a quality well made product - dealer thought he mis-read the mileage as the condition was so good. i wouldn't hesitate in recommending one.

Barry

Other thing with earlier models is (unlike most used bikes at present) it's still a buyers market - there are so many for sale - apparently according to my local Honda dealer because some particular lease company flooded the market with so many at cost price + virtually nothing added some time back?

Other thing with earlier models is (unlike most used bikes at present) it's still a buyers market - there are so many for sale - apparently according to my local Honda dealer because some particular lease company flooded the market with so many at cost price + virtually nothing added some time back?

Your dealer was close...it was in fact another Honda Dealer who did a 25% off list, 0 deposit 0% interest PCP deal in September 2017. Quite how you can flood a market with a load of 'UK bikes' is another thing. (When you look at registrations, there isn't a spike for that quarter)
Back on topic....Obviously a big chunk of the premium for a 2020 model is that it is an 1100 now. I still have my 2017 1000DCT. It has been totally reliable, still looks good and I can't see any reason at all to spunk another £7k plus to get a new one. There are loads of mint low miles bikes out there. (The one that Dorsal Fin had for sale for months is a classic example)

21.5k miles on mine now and still pristine. It’s the first model back in early 2016 and after the switchgear was changed, it’s been perfect. It does everything I need and there’s literally zero out there that would make me change it.

Attachments

• 024556F7-F6B2-4BC9-87AE-DB7932629388.jpg
    024556F7-F6B2-4BC9-87AE-DB7932629388.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 332
DCT is the greatest thing since bread became sliced, fact.

I can only speak for the pre 2020 ATAS and it was a beast, hugely heavy and stoopidly tall but a pleasure to ride. I got rid of it due to its weight and height but the DCT is magnificent.

2018/19 is my recommendation.
Second generation DCT so better than 2016 bike plus dash upgrade but not overpriced like 1100 model.
Love my 2018 ATAS DCT

bda942e6f60ad52da1cc883fe9c340e1.jpg

Thanks. I think what is swaying me is cruise control and I am not sure the 2018/19 bikes had it. Also I like the idea of tubeless wheels, although I guess if I wait enough a bike with it on, may well turn up. I am not too bothered about the tft or all the riding modes to be honest, its more the riding position which I think works for me (need to do another test ride) because in most other bikes, the riding position causes the discs in my back to compress and rub against each other (apparently the fluid stuff between them has disappeared due to piss poor genetics - my ancestors probably next rode bikes!)

Thanks. I think what is swaying me is cruise control and I am not sure the 2018/19 bikes had it. Also I like the idea of tubeless wheels, although I guess if I wait enough a bike with it on, may well turn up. I am not too bothered about the tft or all the riding modes to be honest, its more the riding position which I think works for me (need to do another test ride) because in most other bikes, the riding position causes the discs in my back to compress and rub against each other (apparently the fluid stuff between them has disappeared due to piss poor genetics - my ancestors probably next rode bikes!)

Good points.
My ATAS has Alpina tubeless wheels ,Hyperpro suspension and and Atlas throttle lock.Perfect.

Guess so, lol, but if something good comes up on an earlier model, I may well bite

Did the updated ride by wire 2018 models with all the rider modes not have cruise for sure?

I can only speak for the pre 2020 ATAS and it was a beast, hugely heavy and stoopidly tall but a pleasure to ride. I got rid of it due to its weight and height but the DCT is magnificent.

Cabby

I have owned an R1200 GS, 2 x Triumph Exploader 1200s 2 new Yamaha Super Tenere's found the Exploader's very top heavy. loved both the Super Tenere's, they are a bit on the heavy side but carried the weight far better than the Exploader, on paper the AT looks on the heavy side but carry's the weight far better than all the other ADV bikes I've ridden, the seat height on the non AS version 1 is comparable with all the other ADV bikes in this class (the V1 AS is I agree a bit on the tall side), I'm 6ft 1 for me the none AS is an ideal height.

DCT is brilliant in my opinion, I bought a 2017 DCT (none AS) last August liked it so much I sold it and bought a new 1100 DCT (none AS) 1st of March, just getting used to it, if I'm honest I find the rider modes, setting and changing them confusing, I guess I will get used to this in time. loving everything else about the bike. When I decided to replace my 2017 1000 I had been looking for a low miles 2020 1000 DCT which I am sure I could have been very happy with, though the nice spec low miles 2020s seemed to be only £1500 or £2000 less than a brand new bike hence my decision to go for new.
I would say to the OP if you test ride the 1100 you will want one.

The pre-2020 ATAS isn't stupidly tall if you're a tall rider, it's comfortable.

Whilst actively looking for a GS I still find it hard to dismiss the AT especially when the same money gets you a 4 year old rather than 8 year old and the test ride on one was such a hoot.

Not familiar with options at the time though, what did Honda offer circa ‘17 to ‘18 in terms of standard spec, common options and a la BMW Comfort/Dynamic packs etc? Seems most bikes are pretty standard off the shelf without too many unnecessary farkles?

Only interested in the non DCT and non Adv Sports.

Honda didn't do the 'packs'. They didn't do much at all. Mine came bog standard (apart from panniers) I stumped up £150 for a centre stand and that was it. I've not felt the need for anything in the intervening 3.75 yrs either.
What would you want to add ?

Back
Top Bottom