2002 R1150 GSA ABS2 Reset failure

GS21

Reaction score
Hello All, Newbie here, Had my 2002 1150 GSA for 2 years and is well maintained, was riding other day and got the alternating ABS warning lights, took to my local dealer and confirmed fault 16 ABS piston Failure, using GS911 he reset Abs2 and lights returned to normal, rode off a few yards and immediately started to flash alternately again, dealer shrugged shoulders and said that was my lot.

Now, I have been trying to reset the Abs2 at home, grounding #2 pin and also the alternate way of grounding #2 & #4 pin but both resets will not stop the alternate flashing Warning lights, I have noticed that during the reset procedure both abs warning lights continue to flash alternately when holding down the abs button for 8 secs and other way of 1 min. I have noticed on videos of the abs reset once the abs button is depressed the alternate flashing stops, but not for me!, any ideas?.

Ps, sorry to bring up such an old tired subject!...

By the way, I have checked brake lights & levers function, hand guard rotation, new YUASA battery 2 days.

When was the last time you bled the system?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

System bled and new front & rear fluid 1 month ago, 300 km later got the abs warning and cannot reset, has braided & teflon hoses fitted.

If the lights continue to flash

One of the wires on your abs switch has likely broken off

As soon as you press the switch the lower light remains lit and the top one goes out

Thanks for your reply Dr Farkoff, I was leaning towards your suggestion that the ABS button/switch was defective, as the abs lights continue to flash alternately when ABS button is depressed during reset, I will take switch apart and have a look around, thanks again, also explains why the Dealer was able to reset using GS911, so I know the abs can be reset.

I presume you mean the right handlebar switch!...

I have a 2002 ABS2 R1150GS, my pump started to play up, I had it bench stripped and cleaned and it was OK for a while but it failed again.

In the end my tecchie got hold of a used pump from an RT which needed some recalibration for the system to recognise it. It has worked perfectly since but I recognise that these things have a life span and it will probably fail at some point in the future.

Lots of folk on here have the whole ABS system removed when this happens, it can start to get expensive otherwise.

Yes Retroman, I am kind of resigned already to being abs-less, my local Bmw techie already advised me to forget the abs and just ride. What has niggled me more about the situation was that I have been unable to reset the ABS by conventional methods, meaning that more than just the abs module has problems, last month I replaced the gear indicator switch in the rid unit as it was flashing gears at random, my techie again thought I was mad!..

Every time i had this it was the battery, even new ones as they had been sat on a shelf for ages before you buy them. i was told to charge it so the battery is fully charged before you put it on your bike as the abs is sensitive to set with anything but a full battery . i had it three times but my battery had a drain on it with a faulty alarm but with a new fully charged battery it sorted it every time it just took me three times over 4 years to work it out. just a thought..

I just took mine off in the end. Took me about 45 mins Including bleeding the brakes and making a plate for the electric box.

Thanks Markyt, as soon as I got the alternating abs warning lights I took the GS to the bmw techie who had ordered in a new battery as I felt it must be the battery (even though the existing battery was only 14 months old) he checked the existing battery and told me it was still very good, but I insisted to change for a new battery and I would keep the old as a spare, the new battery was fully charged up overnight the day I arrived, alas is not the battery.

I just took mine off in the end. Took me about 45 mins Including bleeding the brakes and making a plate for the electric box.

The OP has the earlier ABS, not servo abs... The earth wire you’re using when trying to reset must be earthed/held against the battery earth.... there is also a relay which can cause the system to register a fault, it’s hidden in the modulator under the plastic cover where the electrics are located. The cover can be removed by ‘popping’ the bottom and sliding it off

Thank you Steptoe. I have tried the abs reset earthing the wire to the negative battery terminal, no joy. Is it possible that a faulty relay in the modulator will prevent an abs reset?.

Every time i had this it was the battery, even new ones as they had been sat on a shelf for ages before you buy them. i was told to charge it so the battery is fully charged before you put it on your bike as the abs is sensitive to set with anything but a full battery . i had it three times but my battery had a drain on it with a faulty alarm but with a new fully charged battery it sorted it every time it just took me three times over 4 years to work it out. just a thought..

I've got markyt's old GS & that had inherent ABS lights problem, turned out to be a collapsed rear brake hose. There was a slight drag on the rear brake which got slightly worse, looked like the original hoses [all changed to braided] stripped rear calliper [perfect] changed the horrible black hose.....no more ABS lights. I've had this happen on cars but never bikes. Doesn't help you I'm afraid though.

Back
Top Bottom