Classic 500

He’s great isn’t he?

As Snelly says, he ‘gets it’ and even though a lot of people tell me I’ll be pissed off with it in 6 months I’m not convinced that they’re right with the only note I’d add to that statement being that I don’t think it’s a bike you go out with your mates on because they’ll be the ones pissed off and making rude gestures :D

I will say that it’s very demoralising when a car dragging a tin tent breezes past and that’s a very big incentive to stick to smaller roads and get some miles on the clock.

Just spent a little time listening to this and thought of your DGR although your hooligan 2 stroke side could present its self at anytime; :D; i wish i could post as a direct link; but alas; anyway i know you will get where he's coming from.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210626-212013.jpg
    Screenshot_20210626-212013.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 344
Here it is snelly......

https://youtu.be/LBrRHhk9B2Q

He loves that bike, he used to be more of a triumph man and still has at least one, also has had 1200GS's in the past..... he has 3 RE's now, the 500 Classic in this link, an Interceptor and now a Continental GT. I can see him adding a Himalayan and a Meteor in the future to have the full set

Here it is snelly......

https://youtu.be/LBrRHhk9B2Q

He loves that bike, he used to be more of a triumph man and still has at least one, also has had 1200GS's in the past..... he has 3 RE's now, the 500 Classic in this link, an Interceptor and now a Continental GT. I can see him adding a Himalayan and a Meteor in the future to have the full set

He's still using his BMW keyring in his Enfield in the clip;:D:beerjug:

My 500 goes in for a service tomorrow so I’ve got a Continental GT for a couple of hours (putting temptation my way again) then it’s home to fit the noisy bastard end can before heading off to the Lakes for the weekend.

The guy at the dealers where I’m taking the 500 for a service said that if I like the GT they’ll give me £500 more than I paid for the 500 as a trade in because they get several calls every week asking if they can get hold of either a new or low mileage one and willing to pay a premium. What the fuck is that all about? It’s a dog slow, medieval 500cc single 😀

First service done at a cost of £113.50 which seems remarkably cheap compared to the last few bikes I’ve bought new.

The noisy bastard end can is lying on the garage floor because it’s 2.5mm bigger than the header diameter and 1.5mm smaller than the existing seal so short of hacksaw cuts and a hammer it wouldn’t fit without shaving lumps off the seal and I’m not prepared to do that until I’ve got a spare ready to fit. Bastard :mad:

On a happier note I topped the tank up again and it’s still doing 100mpg which kind of offsets the money wasted on a useless end can.

I'm not surprised by the fuel consumption. Once in my youth I rode a C Reg BSA B40 all the way from Crowthorne in Berkshire to the Moray Firth east of Inverness and that returned well over 100mpg.

Downside was it was flat out at an indicated 85mph which was probably 75 in reality and I had too much mechanical sympathy to thrash it.

i just bought this picking it up sunday ,sometimes i just want to go slow and watch the world go by

Attachments

• IMG-20210706-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210706-WA0005.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 222
That looks very sweet indeed, health to enjoy Sir

Uncle Stu explaining why he loves his Classic 500......

https://youtu.be/W_zE-nnaJ9k

Cheers Jazbee; just had look and listen to Uncle Stu; we've had years of chasing big numbers on high powered takle round Europe getting to circuits; campsites; or digs; and they were good years no doubt about it but tho's days now seem like a life time ago;; having the GS has sorted the issue of chasing my arse around the country as fast as i could and left me wanting a more relaxed approach; so on that front i understand his point.:beerjug:

He’s great isn’t he?

I wasted an hour or so watching his Mules Day Out trilogy last week and his ride along the road of stones on that bike was well worth the effort because he takes a 500 Classic loaded up with luggage along a road that would have the average GS1250 owner running away in tears :beerjug:

If you’ve not watched it yet you really should do because I wouldn’t take my 500 along the byway, I’d be mentally book marking it for a return on my Husqvarna which is far more suited to that type of surface.

He’s great isn’t he?

I wasted an hour or so watching his Mules Day Out trilogy last week and his ride along the road of stones on that bike was well worth the effort because he takes a 500 Classic loaded up with luggage along a road that would have the average GS1250 owner running away in tears :beerjug:

If you’ve not watched it yet you really should do because I wouldn’t take my 500 along the byway, I’d be mentally book marking it for a return on my Husqvarna which is far more suited to that type of surface.

Seen that Andy and must say i was quite impressed with how well he managed;; it was definitely one of those; well i've started rides; i usually end upside down;:D:beerjug:

He’s great isn’t he?

Quite capable of taking on the Arctic Circle........

5682b510ee84f3245a0f797681024c24.jpg

Bit the Bullet today :)
Only popped to garage to fill up and this was a new trade in.
Registered April 2021, 850 miles and fitted with a few extras.
Anyway, quick test ride, loved it and it’s in my garage.

cb69144bf8c61069a4b09a6ba0fa0da2.jpg

3944eb2287fcce0ef63434778541ffe9.jpg

3c5f6b0791463b61671387a8499f267c.jpg

e58f4e2cdc16188111921cf3bb7bb7c3.jpg

0ba0ba050a74b02c14856b83177201c7.jpg

Panniers will be staying on ,as will rack.
The previous owner fitted a heal/toe gear change lever and jury is out.
Might swap back to the OE lever which was included.

It’s a lovely basic thing,hasn’t even got a trip meter, let alone a fuel gauge. Runs lovely though and perfect for pottering locally or even in Brittany.

Seems very comfortable with the leather touring seats as standard on this model.Time will tell…

Arsey cant beat an impulse purchase, the bike has clearly stirred something in your soul. The bike looks great and those seats look lovely and classy. The creme/ lt brown grips are a nice touch too. Enjoy

Steve

Looks brill. Like the colours and just love the look of that engine too. Going back to a more classic/basic bike is the way forward now.

Coming up three years Himalayan ownership now and still loving it but, still having the GS does help :D

You’ll enjoy riding around the island on that with a wicker Fortnum and Masons basket full of food and a picnic blanket to sit on when you get to the chosen beach :D

You can get loads of bling for them but I’ve found that the most useful is a small clock that fits on the steering stem nut because it’s too easy to forget that you’ve been going slowly and 100 miles on small roads has taken 1hr longer than you’d normally expect.

You’ll enjoy riding around the island on that with a wicker Fortnum and Masons basket full of food and a picnic blanket to sit on when you get to the chosen beach :D

You can get loads of bling for them but I’ve found that the most useful is a small clock that fits on the steering stem nut because it’s too easy to forget that you’ve been going slowly and 100 miles on small roads has taken 1hr longer than you’d normally expect.

Yes, I’ll get a clock !
Might get heated grips too as not sure I’m keen on the brown jobbies after all .
Was thinking of Hitchcock exhaust like this but they haven’t got any more separate heat shields and don’t know when they’ll have any due to supply/quality issues .

99e11e8ee6d324454a0daf48d0eae53f.jpg

I looked at that silencer and I'm not sure the finish is the same as the one fitted so you'd probably need the header pipe as well. It's on my list of probable purchases for the winter months when I can't ride as often as I like so I opt for retail therapy :blast

have you taken the wife for a spin on it yet? Because my wife owns her own bikes she said she wasn't sitting on that shitty little pad so I thought that's good, took it off and fitted a rack :D

I looked at that silencer and I'm not sure the finish is the same as the one fitted so you'd probably need the header pipe as well. It's on my list of probable purchases for the winter months when I can't ride as often as I like so I opt for retail therapy :blast

have you taken the wife for a spin on it yet? Because my wife owns her own bikes she said she wasn't sitting on that shitty little pad so I thought that's good, took it off and fitted a rack :D

859e45b9f4d4778d33ce446c8b5bc4d0.jpg

Clocked !

Went to dealer for a coupe of things as it’s also local parts shop and they gave me the welcome pack that original owner never picked up . So I got key ring, pin badge, mug, neck warmer thingy .
Also got given a can of matt spray paint which used to be supplied free with the bikes till recently .
Touched up a couple of small scratches using a lid and match stick . Perfect .

b34e8183bd417329d19793c9afdb904d.jpg

Going to hopefully take wife out later. She’s sat on it and said it seems very firm , which is a good sign. Should be ok as it’s leather touring seat which is an optional accessory on lesser Bullets !!

Back
Top Bottom