Classic 500

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I closed the thread asking to be put off buying one of these because it’s too late now the bike is in the garage so here we are starting again.

The bike in question is the limited edition Tribute Black version so it’s gloss black, matt black and gold pinstripes with a few extras bunged in to justify the extra cost. I’ll be removing the pannier frames for day to day use because if I’m honest they look a bit crap and who rides around with panniers they’re not using :D

It’s been sitting in my garage for a week because I’ve been working away from home but I got up this morning with great plans to put some miles on it only to see them thwarted by heavy rain so after lunch sat down with a beer and watched the F1 qualifying thinking I’d be going nowhere only for the rain to stop and everything started to dry out. Game on:thumb2

I popped in to the nearest garage to brim the tank only to be pleasantly surprised to find the dealer hadn’t done the normal trick of putting in the absolute minimum so it only took 4l to fill.

Riding it was a revelation, the last time I rode a bike with no brakes it was on Scunthorpe speedway oval and there weren’t any cars or traffic lights to interfere with my progress. Hopefully they’ll improve as they bed in but right now they’re shit and if they don’t bed in I’ll have to try different pads.

The engine feels really nice, totally devoid of outright power but it does have plenty of torque and is very easy to ride at the ridiculously slow 40mph suggested for the first 250 miles. I don’t think it’ll need the tank filling again before the first service but I’m not complaining if it’s cheap to run.

The internet suggests that a change of air filter and an iridium spark plug are worthwhile additions so I’ll order them ready for when I’m next home and it might be gifted a slightly more ‘open’ exhaust to free things up a bit. It’ll still be slow but might be slightly more offensive so it’ll be money well spent.

The ride was surprisingly comfortable because it’s got the leather touring seats fitted as standard and between the shocks and the springs under the seat the back end soaks up any bumps very well. The front end bottoms over bumps but you can’t have everything.

It doesn’t go fast enough to get cold so doesn’t need heated grips and I dug my matt black open Davida crash helmet out of the roof so I could casually take a puff on my eTab while riding making for a very relaxed 30 mile ride.

Overall I’m more than happy with it as a way to chill out and have a nice pleasant ride on country lanes, I might go fully retro and buy a waxed cotton jacket then stick a pipe in the pocket so I can have a puff while chatting to tractor drivers and cyclists when I’m out for a Sunday bimble.

Everyone should have a bike like this if only so they appreciate other bikes they may own :D

Here it is

6fb377c7d1be63917066841f80c4ec55.jpg

Giles taught me all he knows about photography but nothing can hide those pannier frames that look like the leg calipers they used to put on kids in the fifties.

Looks lovely!
I must get one for bimbling around the Lakes cos you never get over 50 mph here.

I agree about going retro and you need steam punk goggles. Just a warning on the wax cotton jacket, don't buy cheap Chinese imports as soon as they get wet they stink of fish, damhik....................

Love Enfield’s . I have ridden them about 30000 km in India and up North in the Himalayas. They have a real charm . The older ones have that lovely low tick over , but the EFI bikes are more reliable albeit you have to keep an eye on the nuts and bolts and change the oil regularly, they hate dirty oil . I’ve had a few here in the UK but now have 15 year old Fat Boy which is similar technology wise , but a bit bigger for my frame . Enjoy your lovely bike . Air filter and freer breathing exhaust makes it nicer still to ride :thumb

That’s gorgeous. Every time I nearly buy one to scratch that itch I remember that it would mean I wouldn’t get around to restoring the BSA in my shed. Mind you, I’ve already managed not to get round to restoring it for over 10 years without the excuse of an RE in the garage, so maybe that’s a red herring.

This must be irs twin no brakes lol

Attachments

• 8FA0AC2B-6B15-4B06-91E2-BECD6EADE5C0.jpeg
    8FA0AC2B-6B15-4B06-91E2-BECD6EADE5C0.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 746
They look really good with all the chrome but I’m not sure which would look worse with my level of bike cleaning, polished aluminium or matt black engine cases. The black showed up the tiny little involuntary release from what I think is the oil filter cover ( the round one on the RH side) but I’m putting that down to the bike being excited rather than poor build quality, I’ll tighten the screws up a touch if it does it again :hippy

All joking apart, it’s actually a fun bike to ride because my expectations are so low and much as I expected to be pissed off with the 40mph running in speed I just picked roads where that was a pleasant speed to be going along at and I didn’t feel the need to try and pop a cheeky little wheelie like I do whenever I ride my other old school 500 single :D

When you consider you can still get your grubby little paws on a Classic 500 brand new for £5k I think they’re well worth the punt if you’ve got room in the garage :thumb2

Andy,just wondering where you got the bike from?Lots of people buy from Andy at Haywards in Cambridge.

Enjoy it mate :thumb2

Andy,just wondering where you got the bike from?Lots of people buy from Andy at Haywards in Cambridge.

Enjoy it mate :thumb2

I would have used Haywards if I still lived in Cambridgeshire but this one came from Millenium in St Helens.

Let the spending commence...

Air filter and spark plug ordered along with a rack and a set of adjustable levers. I’ll be home again in 2 weeks so I’ll fit them then do the Distinguished Gentlemen’s ride around the moors of northern Lancashire on what will then be a truly awesome steed :D

Here it is

6fb377c7d1be63917066841f80c4ec55.jpg

Giles taught me all he knows about photography but nothing can hide those pannier frames that look like the leg calipers they used to put on kids in the fifties.

Very nice ; and a proper size seat on the back and not just a fanny pad; do you think the Mrs may be tempted with it.

Very nice ; and a proper size seat on the back and not just a fanny pad; do you think the Mrs may be tempted with it.

In a word, no 😀

She sat on the back of it on Saturday and claimed her arse was wedged up against the grab rail so there’s no way she’d be going anywhere on the back of it. She’d soon change her tune if she needed a lift but she can sod off because the pillion pad is coming off so I can fit a rack for my sandwiches there 👍

..... and it might be gifted a slightly more ‘open’ exhaust to free things up a bit. It’ll still be slow but might be slightly more offensive so it’ll be money well spent.

I put a 'Goldie' type silencer on mine, made a lovely noise :thumb2

Attachments

• Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 465
Hi, lovely Bullet there sir, I have had quite a few and can vouch for their reliability and simplicity, I have just got an Interceptor for a change and again love the simplicity and contrary to opinions think it’s well bolted together and finished very well, now it has some proper silencers it sounds fantastic
I have in my garage a lovely British made silencer for a Bullet efi if your interested, it’s a very similar style to standard, just a bit shorter in length and sounds like a single should!! It is as new condition.
Pm if interested and enjoy your Bullet, their ace..
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, lovely Bullet there sir, I have had quite a few and can vouch for their reliability and simplicity, I have just got an Interceptor for a change and again love the simplicity and contrary to opinions think it’s well bolted together and finished very well, now it has some proper silencers it sounds fantastic
I have in my garage a lovely British made silencer for a Bullet efi if your interested, it’s a very similar style to standard, just a bit shorter in length and sounds like a single should!! It is as new condition.
Pm if interested and enjoy your Bullet, their ace..
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d want a black silencer to suit the rest of the bike so if anyone else is interested feel free to step in.

Back
Top Bottom