Givi Tank Bag to suit 2018 1290SA-S without restricting steering ?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20L Givi tank bag XS308 with correct lock ring which fits onto my 1290SA-S. However, as it sits a bit forward on the tank, it does restrict the steering lock somewhat, say the last 20% on each side. I have moved the adaptor in the tank bag to the forwardmost position which sets the bag to the rearmost position but still fouls the bars on near-full-lock. Disconcerting when doing u-turns. The bag and it's pouches and covers are excellent, just this steering lock issue.

I tried a smaller bag (also Givi) which a friend was using on a Suzuki, it did fit on the lock-ring but it was even closer to the handlebars.... Duh!

So, the question is - has anyone got the model number for a Givi bag which they know will fit the BF11 lockring and will be clear of the bars while turning at full lock on a KTM 1290SA-S ?

Thanks,

Bin

Looking at the My Givi site, where you can select your bike model, and I found this warning:

The Tanklock system is composed of a specific flange BF_ _ which is necessary to enable fitting of one of the Tanklock bags. Before purchasing please check carefully that the bag will not effect the original driveability, paying particular attention to any possible interference with the handlebars.

Hmm.

I had the xs 307 + ring for a trial fitment on my 1190,
Yep,it does foul the steering abit also,,
So sent it all back to sportsbikeshop for a full refund......Great company....

I see SHAD advertise small bags as suitable for the 1290SA-S. but need a new SHAD adaptor as well as bag itself...
Will try to find a stockist where I can try one out.

I use this one, but it may be a bit small for your requirements.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/498592

If I remember correctly, the outer pockets on the XS308 are removable for use as a bumbag. Would this sort the problem with fouling the bars?

Hi Gary, yes there are outer pockets but they are near the back of the back and don't cause the fouling. The problem is the filler neck is quite far forward on the ol' KTM.... I have a friend who has the EA123, it is too wide to clear the bars at full lock.

Coincidentally, the same man is buying a bike which comes with a tank bag which he says he will lend me to try out when he collects said bike. This bag is shown in photo below, looks hopeful! Ths bag looks like model GIVI ST602B TANKLOCK:

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/givi-s...itres/10067121?filter_article_number=10067121

Attachments

• GIVI.JPG
    GIVI.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 167
I have tried the bag mentioned above (GIVI ST602B TANKLOCK) and it is too wide at the front and too close to the handlebars....grrr...

Looks like the one I have may be as good as it gets...

Attachments

• Givi ST602B.jpg
    Givi ST602B.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 142
Here is the original 20L bag, I think I'll have to get used to it!

Attachments

• Givi XS308.jpg
    Givi XS308.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 147
If anyone is still looking - will be putting my KTM/SW Motech tank bag up for sale shortly as it does not really fit the the shape of the new 2021 1290 SAS.

I have made a few trips now with the 20L bag fitted and I have got used to it, so not going to buy the KTM bag. Thanks for highlighting it. Very good price for complete bag.

Back
Top Bottom