Any known issues?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any known mechanical or electrical issues with the first series S1000XR? How reliable are they? No, vibes through the bars don’t count :beerjug:

Current issue of Ride magazine has an article about buying one used. No particular issues of note. I’ve had one for 4 years, no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had one of the first . Although I only did about 15K on it there were no issues whatsoever and the build quality was very good.

The only thing I would say is that the heated gripes were truly shite.

It was about the time the GS owners were having problems with heated grips as BMW had reduced the resistance so they just didn't get very hot. They fixed the problem on the GS but IMO used up all the shit ones on the XR

I moaned and moaned and my dealer who was very good about changed them under warranty to the new GS grips and they were fine

Thanks gents, I haven’t read the article in Ride magazine yet but I always think it’s best to ask genuine owners who have paid for and run a bike with their own hard-earned cash, well just as long as your screen name doesn’t begin with “boxer” and end with “lust” ! :beerjug:

Quick review...

I've got one for a couple of days whilst my K is in for service. Pretty looking bike and gets lots of attention when you park up. Comfort is not too bad but you are very wedged into a riding position (not much wiggle room). After a couple of hours on it, I wouldn't say I felt crippled when I got off it, but have felt better! Corners well. The not so good bits: crap fuelling, regardless of what mode you've got it in and quite 'spluttery' when tootling through town. Even with the little screen and cowl on the front, it feels like zero wind protection. Ended up using the suspension in 'Road" setting, as the Dynamic setting is so hard, banging along fast country twists, the jolt that you'd get when its in Dynamic almost felt like you were going to get launched off the bike (I see this as common complaint with K1600 riders when they changed from ESA2 to the Dynamic set-up).

performance-wise, it's good but I wouldn't say it was earth-shattering tbh.

So in summary, I'd say it was great if you like the pose-ability factor and hooning around some lanes on a dry sunny afternoon. For long distances, comfort (and still with good handling and performance), I'd say a GS/GSA wins hands down-everything the XR does but more useable.

Just my opinion of course!

Attachments

• IMG_9645.jpg
    IMG_9645.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 362
Had 2 XR's a 2016 and 2018 both from new
2016 had water pump replaced as it started weeping, happened to quite a few as per S1000XR forum, which has a load of info on

2018 I had for 20 months, nearly faultless, battery died in the middle of Spain

Did 17000 miles on 2016 one and 11000 on 2019 one, Spain, Germany and Holland, good touring bike, lots of fun in the mountains

+1 for poor heated grips

I'm liking the 1250GS better after 8500 miles :D

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=d389937b666dc2bdd1d7b9206e670b12&action=forum

+2 for naff heated grips.

Wind buffeting can be reduced with an after market screen, but I found the crash helmet design gave the greatest reduction in turbulence and noise.

Owned and promptly shifted a 1250 and thought it was soulless sack oh sh one t. Cumbersome tank. Much prefer the twin cams.

Now done a measly 20k on my XR. It does everything from bumble to blast and everything in between. IMO it has very little street cred compared to the exotica available. But for a mass produced, well built and slightly quirky beast, it gives great performance and value.

Is it perfect? No, but what is? We all have different requisites, but if you want a comfortable and sporty performance for some fun during your tour, or just need a rapid commuter or indeed just to enjoy riding for ridings sake, then this bike ticks a lot of boxes.

No fuelling issues with mine. Front suspenders can be rather firm, but I prefer that to a squidgy vague feeling and perhaps it focuses me a touch more on our inconsistent road surfaces. Impressive MPG on a long journey and I like the cruise control. A lovely popping exhaust note on the down shift and the Akro sounds pleasant enough with the baffle in. The market is littered with superb machines, but the XR gets my vote for the time being. I see no alternative that makes me want to change so I intend to run this bike into the ground.

I have no regrets purchasing my XR. Maybe that says it all.

Let us know your findings should you buy one. :thumby:

P.S. 100% reliability.

I’ve had both gen 1 and gen 2 and possibly preferred my gen 1 as it just felt a bit more “alive” . No issues with reliability on either and the vibes never bothered me.
As for power, well if you need more than 165bhp then you probably tell a good story on a tall stool.. When near the red line I never felt like I needed more.
If you do any touring try to find one with the genuine luggage as it ain’t cheap!
Enjoy if you do purchase..

Thanks gents for the objective reviews. I have also read the article in Ride magazine, but as I said, I would rather hear from you. I am looking for a 2018-19 model and I have my eye on one at a BMW dealership, so fingers crossed that they will give me a decent deal on my bike too.

I realise that everyone has different requirements and preferences but this is what makes real feedback like this more important.

Skipster, what kind of mpg are you getting on a long journey?

Another comment, the XR is the first bike I have had which has stopped me looking at other bikes. Ive had Multis and GSs amongst others. I’ve had it 4 years and not interested in changing it even to the 2020 version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never owned a XR but have ridden plenty as friends of mine have 1st and 2nd gen S1000XRs...I like the XR as the only practical and ROAD worthy superbike...But I like my R1250GS better because it is slightly better in every department except it lacks the DRAMA on top that the XR gives...:thumb Yes it is fun and I would love to have it on the GS but choosing between the 2 I go for Telelever and Shaftdrive !
As for your origional question only thing I would check for is a loud camchain which can be fixed with a diffferent tensioner on the first gen bikes but I would go for a second gen bike...TFT screen,LED lights,lighter handling and more compliant ESA fork and shocks would be worth the additional money for me...And don't forget to testride a 1250GS with sports-suspension...;)
Good luck !

@Decompressing...Great looking color scheme as also the Akra can...:thumb2
If an XR that would be the one !

I own a 2016 bike, bought in 2018 with 10,000 miles on it.

I like it. I have toured on it in 2019 around the Vosges & Black Forest and Yorkshire last year. Sadly only 19,000 miles on it now. Recently changed the chain & sprockets, assume the first time. Nothing done to it other than a couple of services, tyres and the chain.

The only thing I noticed, in 2019 in the heat wave in France/Lux was hot air coming out of the frame and cooking your ankles. This happened on a day I rode in cotton trousers and trainers as it was so hot. Made a note to always ride in bike boots in future.

IMHO, the 2015-19 bike is more engaging than the 2020 bike. It just seems to be less refined which, for me, is a good thing. I think the 2020 bike is faster but the change in gearing makes it less of an experience.

The only other thing, if I was riding to Italy in as short a time as possible, using motorways, then I would take my R1200RS. It is more comfortable on long days in the saddle as I have adjusted the bars and pegs to suit and you are not sat bolt upright in the wind.

I have never owned a XR but have ridden plenty as friends of mine have 1st and 2nd gen S1000XRs...I like the XR as the only practical and ROAD worthy superbike...But I like my R1250GS better because it is slightly better in every department except it lacks the DRAMA on top that the XR gives...:thumb Yes it is fun and I would love to have it on the GS but choosing between the 2 I go for Telelever and Shaftdrive !
As for your origional question only thing I would check for is a loud camchain which can be fixed with a diffferent tensioner on the first gen bikes but I would go for a second gen bike...TFT screen,LED lights,lighter handling and more compliant ESA fork and shocks would be worth the additional money for me...And don't forget to testride a 1250GS with sports-suspension...;)
Good luck !

Hmmm..... I haven’t heard of any cam chain issues over this side of the pond. I am looking at Gen 1 XRs and no, I am not interested in a 1250GS, not even one with “sports suspension”.

Had mine new since 2015, no problems apart from a lambda sensor which failed in the 1st 6 months.
For me, it's near perfect.

Back
Top Bottom