Conti Trial Attack 3 - any problems fitting W rated to a 1200GS WC?

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having read the reviews on this forum CTA3's would suit what I need (have used Tourance Next and PR5's on my 2017 Rallye). Most competitive supplier appears to be Black Circles:aidan. Only option they appear to have available are W rated whereas I assumed V rated were the correct versions. Continental website stated V or W rated. Any reason not to fit W rated?

Also, has anyone got the promo code to work on their on line order site as I could not get it to work for me?

I think the V/W rating is simply what speed they are 'tested' to. V is 149 mph, W is 168mph...so both are fine.

I would fit the V rated version because the W rated has a stiffer carcass and 2 mm less tread debt on the rear...As the GS will on go 139 mph max downhill wind the wind blowing from the back....:D

I would fit the V rated version because the W rated has a stiffer carcass and 2 mm less tread debt on the rear...As the GS will on go 139 mph max downhill wind the wind blowing from the back....:D

Yes exactly that, V better for heavy bikes.

Winjar I don't think the V is better for heavier bikes but the V rated version does not need as stiff of a carcass you need for for higher speeds like the W but the rating is still plenty fast for the GS as also you get 2 mm more tread depth as a bonus...So fitting a W would cause no problems but not as good of a choice for a bike like a GS that will top out at 139 mph max...downhill :D 146 on the speedometer.

Thank you Boxerlust. When I ordered these off Blackcircles they only had W rated front in 19" and V rated rear in 17". The Continental site indicated I could fit both to the GS. When I checked the site other than speed rating I could see the level of detail re tread depth. Where could I find this information? I am about to get them fitted today. Do you see any potential problems with fitting the above tyres? Thank you

You can't find the information...I measured them myself and was surprised.You can fit both but with the GS you are better off fitting the V rated ones because you have 2 mm more tread on the rear and obviously dont need the stiffer carcass because the GS wont go 168 mph...I think V rated are good for 149 so plenty fast for the GS.

Back
Top Bottom