Swap hexhead for 1200/1250 .Questions ?

3bikesnospace

Reaction score
Morning all ,toying with the idea of upgrading my 2008 hexhead to a 1200 or 1250 ,I know all the on paper differences between the 3 but would value opinion of those who have ridden all of them.
Firstly engine smoothness, particularly in the 4k to 5k range in top ( the rough bit on my 2008 )is the 1200lc smoother ? and is the 1250 any smoother than the 1200?
Secondly suspension, is the dynamic ESA any better on rough B roads
Than the manually adjustable ESA on a hexhead ?I do like suspension that absorbs bumps well ,too old to have me bones rattled nowadays . There some very nice low mileage 1200s around even with TFT on later models ,is the 1250 THAT much better ? I will be test riding once I've sold one of my bikes to make space (and money)
Thanks in advance .Ian

Well I'm no riding God by a long shot but I have owned and ridden many miles on all the bikes you mention. Every time I've moved over to a newer model it always seems (to me) a better bike with more tech and more power etc.

If you can afford the 1250 then I would say go for this model as the shift cam engine is super smooth and has plenty of torque through the gears. My 1200LC was a fantastic bike but the only gripe was a noticeable flat spot higher in the rev range. I tend to ride the torque through the gears so it was never a real issue but it was there nonetheless. A remap "may" have sorted it out but it was never a big enough issue to me.

I then moved onto a 2019 Rallye GSA with the 1250 shiftcam engine and this was so much nicer to ride. The auto levelling ESA was very good. I did find the suspension softer on my 2016 GSA and easier to set up. With the very latest bikes you have 7 modes but can only access 4 from the mode button. You pre select which 4 you want quick access to. Now I have to select throttle mode then I can set the suspension which is normally Road (softest) then auto for ESA. I loved the upgrade from analogue dash to the digital TFT. Connectivity is awesome to the point I've done away with having my phone on a cradle as everything is accessible through the TFT and wonder wheel.

I've recently bought the new 1250 GSA 40th Anni and although same engine as before and I'm still running in, the tech has advanced again and the adaptive headlight and DRL's are great.

Early 1200 LC's had a bit of a clunky gearbox that was sorted out from 17 or 18 plate on I think plus the TFT was optional to become standard again. The gear shift assist is excellent and I couldn't be without it now.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm sure plenty on here will give you advice and comparisons :beerjug:

Jon

Hi Ian,

Can’t comment on the 1250 but here is my experience.

Had an 1150 which I liked then moved to the new 1200 in 2004, 30kg lighter and 20hp more, what was not to like. Then got a new bike in 06 and it 08 purely down to the fact that the cost to change was a no brainer once you had factored in service cost, new tyres and extended warranty costs. The 06 was better than the 04 but it was the 08 with better brakes/ABS 2, ESA, ASC and slightly more power all improved the bike imho. I then had a 2011 TB which was better again with all the above features and gearbox more refined/improved but best of all was the TC engine which was very smooth with the extra power great for that little bit more when overtaking/2up etc. Over the seven years from the introduction I thought the 2011 bike was a much more integrated better handling more refined bike all round so much so I kept it for 8yrs and only sold it in 2019 when I bought a 2yr old 17 plate with 3.5k on the clock. Felt a bit strange at 1st after so long on the oil head but I found that everything was sharper again, steering, gearbox, brakes/abs, ESA, handling, engine response/delivery and I love it! Would I go back definitely not, will I move to a 1250? yes I probably will but I will wait until the next incarnation comes out and go for good low mileage used example of the old run out model!

Only my thoughts/experience but hope that helps.

I have had all three. I went from a 2008 to 2018 1200LC with TFT and the difference was substantial. Better suspension, torque, toys, and out right power. Downsides I found the 2018 less comfortable on a standard seat and had to get a sergeant and the screen wobbled so had to get braces to keep steady. She also felt like it has a small flat spot at about 5K RPM. The change to my 2021 1250 is more subtle. The flat spot is gone, the torque is smooth and oh so strong. They are all good. The 1200 will do everything the 1250 will do but the 1250 is just so much smoother if you like to roll on roll off and maintain speed in the bends. Just my thoughts.

I had a 2006 1200 GS, which I traded in for a 2016 GSA. The first bike was superb all round and totally got me into the whole GS scene, the newer bike is simply better in every department, my advice would be buy the best you can afford, I haven’t ridden a 1250 but I’m sure they’re superb from what I’ve heard.

Went from an 06 to a 16

Think very carefully is all i will say ..

sure the 06 is long in the tooth, but in some respect will be well setup & will be matched tou you so to speak

ESA on the wetheads is what they say you get, not what you wanted to get if that makes sense

It works, but could it work better, and it it set up to how you want??

The best way i describe it, the 06 has soul and character the 16 does everything bit with no soul or character, just boring efficiency ;)

its like having a springer spaniel on the go - full of beans and always wanting to push harder, whereas the 06 is like a Labrador, old and faithful

Loved my 1150 GSA, loved my 2008 MU much better bike than the 1150 fro me. 2013 TC with AFXIED units and Wilbers ESA, astounding ride and long distance tourer. 1200 LC....oh dear...boring and made of cheese with appalling gear change. Suspension so/so but seemed to have a mind of its own...back to the TC...bliss...and love!

2006 1200 , my first introduction to the Bmw after sports bikes and racing. Loved it , next the 2011 Tc TB ( one of my favourites) then the 13 plate beta LC , then a 2015 ( blew that one up ) then a 16 plate TB . Upgraded to the 1250 which for me is the best , great engine , character and above all a bike that morphs all the pre mentioned into the great package it now is .
Best of the best .

its like having a springer spaniel on the go - full of beans and always wanting to push harder, whereas the 06 is like a Labrador, old and faithful

That`s a great description of the difference between the two bikes.

Does anyone here wish that the 1250 was a bit higher geared?
They do 69mph @ 4000rpm, not exactly screaming but being hyper-sensitive to engine speed i`m always aware that the LC`s are a little bit more frenetic than the Labrador-esque Hexheads of old and with all that extra power and torque i`m sure they could handle a slight tweak in gearing without losing too much flexibility or pep. It`s only a subtle difference but noticeable to me, it`s just a slight niggle i`m always aware of when out on the 1250.
Anyone ever experimented with an RT final drive (2.75:1) on a 1200/1250GS (2.91)? You`d be doing ~4mph more at 4K which would enable over 70mph at under 4K engine speed. same as RT. A subtle difference but would be noticeable for a compulsive tacho watcher like me..
One of the things i loved about the Hexhead was the looong, lazy first gear and spaced-out gear changes.

No question if you can afford it go for the 1250, it’s sublime motor covers distances with consummate ease, the torque from the shiftcam motor gives you a big fat creamy wedge of power that results in you needing to make considerable fewer gear changes to get across country in a fast and relaxing way and in particular when two-up with full luggage it is just awesome.

I’m on my 6th water cooled beema, x4 1200 GS-LC’s and x1 1200 RT-LC they were great bikes however the 1250 is the dogs do-dars.

We’ve just arrived at the Fat Lamb near Kirby Stevens for a weekend in the Dale’s and I read your question out to my pillion who knows absolutely now’t about bikes but a lot about being pillion and she said ..no question, tell him to get the 1250! :D:D

Buy the latest\newest 1250 you can afford\prepared to spend to buy. I had an older 2004 1200gs, then a 2015 1200gs, then one of first 1250gs's (2018), now a new 2022 model 1250gs. Each one has refinements over previous years model. Latest 2022 model has in my mind just about reached its pinnacle. Gearbox and quickshifter work much better\smoother than my 2018 1250gs. Whole bike feels smoother but that could just be because it's new. 2018 1250gs was a lot better on power and gearbox than previous 2015 1200gs. So it is a question of newer is better from my own experience BUT it depends how much you want to spend to have a smoother better gearbox\more power \better led lights etc. Etc. Have as many test rides as you can get on different ones and then the choice is yours depending on budget. Just dont test ride the latest 2022 one or you'll want one :) :), i love it anyway.

Buy the latest\newest 1250 you can afford\prepared to spend to buy. I had an older 2004 1200gs, then a 2015 1200gs, then one of first 1250gs's (2018), now a new 2022 model 1250gs. Each one has refinements over previous years model. Latest 2022 model has in my mind just about reached its pinnacle. Gearbox and quickshifter work much better\smoother than my 2018 1250gs. Whole bike feels smoother but that could just be because it's new. 2018 1250gs was a lot better on power and gearbox than previous 2015 1200gs. So it is a question of newer is better from my own experience BUT it depends how much you want to spend to have a smoother better gearbox\more power \better led lights etc. Etc. Have as many test rides as you can get on different ones and then the choice is yours depending on budget. Just dont test ride the latest 2022 one or you'll want one :) :), i love it anyway.

Wot he says….they get incrementally better each season!

Wot he says….they get incrementally better each season!

If you can afford it go for the latest 1250 , I’m in my 60s and have had k75s , 1150s , 1200rts An R/s and everything in between the latest 1250 is the best of the best easy to ride flikable , and a lovely spread of power through the rev range . Go for it !.

I’ve got a twin cam 1200 GSA and I’m about to take delivery of a new 1250 GSA.

They are chalk and cheese. You sit ‘in’ the hexheads whereas it feels you are sitting ‘on’ the WC.

I’ve only ridden an early WC and it got me banned from this section, such was my utter disgust for it. The handling was great, but there was just too much else that was wrong, mostly electronic and I believe they remapped much of it, so I dare say that if I rode one now it wouldn’t be so bad.

The 1250 I have ridden and I can say that it’s sublime.

The suspension on my twin cam is wilbers esa, it’s a magic carpet ride over bumps, but in comfort mode it’s not a scalpel of a ride. When you sharpen it up in normal mode it’s a half way house, it’s compliant, but you do start to notice a slightly rougher ride, in sport mode it’s pin sharp, but you feel everything.

The 1250 I rode was freakishly good, both pin sharp and taught, yet bumps disappear underneath it. The motor was increadily smooth and like the twin cam on a diet of nitrous and rocket fuel. An endless seam of torque.

If I hadn’t sold the Harley, I wouldn’t be changing my twin cam, it’s an astonishingly fantastic machine and more than we really need in a motorcycle.

But the 1250 is measurably superior in many ways (although I still prefer the seating position of the older GS). I will be be experimenting with various options to try and get that ‘sit in’ feeling of the older GS.

Having said all that, I’d be happy with an old 1100 or 1150, there’s something quite magical about those oilhead bikes.

I’ve got a twin cam 1200 GSA and I’m about to take delivery of a new 1250 GSA.

Having said all that, I’d be happy with an old 1100 or 1150, there’s something quite magical about those oilhead bikes.

That’s interesting to hear you say that

I agree with comments regarding the 1250. The 1200 watercooled bikes did not promo me to sell my 3rd twin cam, but the 1250 did. The only downside is that it is so efficient and smooth it can seem bland and characterless. Until you accelerate....

They are chalk and cheese. You sit ‘in’ the hexheads whereas it feels you are sitting ‘on’ the WC.

Interesting. I have a 2007 GSA and I have the opposite impression everytime I ride other bikes. I sit "on" mine (seat in high position), while I feel "in" most other bikes, and I really really hate that.

I’ve only ridden an early WC and it got me banned from this section, such was my utter disgust for it. The handling was great, but there was just too much else that was wrong, mostly electronic and I believe they remapped much of it, so I dare say that if I rode one now it wouldn’t be so bad.

Same. Rentend a WC in Italy a few years ago. 1200.
It was perfect, but like riding and electric bike (in Dynamic). Honestly hated it and put me off it.

The 1250 I have ridden and I can say that it’s sublime.

Will have to give it a go at some point.
The more I go ahead, the more I'm thinking about replacing my 1200.
But on the other hand... I like having a cheap bike I don't care much about when/if dropping it offroad, etc.

Back
Top Bottom