Super glide sport......

Johno23

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate of a mate is selling one of these, a FXDXI Superglide sport I believe it is.
I know very little about Harleys but do fancy one, thought I’d ask the opinion of you lot as to your thoughts on these, good,bad etc. just wondered :thumb

Attachments

• ACF653A4-5FCE-4709-9AA0-A5ED72585876.jpeg
    ACF653A4-5FCE-4709-9AA0-A5ED72585876.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 478
  • E91628F8-08BE-480B-9BBD-C205B4AC8A7D.jpeg
    E91628F8-08BE-480B-9BBD-C205B4AC8A7D.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 481
That looks nice. I bought a metallic orange one in 1999, one of the then new twin cams. First things done were replace the standard exhaust with Sceamin eagle pipes, replace shocks with KONI items, replace the standard fork springs, fitted a fork brace and Billet six pot calipers. After this it handled and stopped so much better. I also added some expensive contraption to make the clutch action lighter. Over the years I had it, I added some expensive billet alloy wheels, and had the engine taken out to 1550cc, with a large mikuni carb, did a gear driven cam conversion with some hot S+S cams. A sundowner touring seat, a QD windscreen and highway pegs made long distance touring viable. It took me and the Mrs all over the Alps for a few years.
The bike was reliable and easy to maintain. After six years I fancied a change and I swapped it for a new Aprilia Tuono factory, wish I'd kept the Harley.

I have the earlier version. A Super glide FXD (the earlier Evolution engine variant).

It is slow, handles like shit and I love it. The main thing really is it will whup the arse off Andres' Guzzi in a much anticipated sprint race. (This alone makes it a keeper).

Not the most comprehensive bike write up/report I accept.

A mate of a mate is selling one of these, a FXDXI Superglide sport I believe it is.
I know very little about Harleys but do fancy one, thought I’d ask the opinion of you lot as to your thoughts on these, good,bad etc. just wondered :thumb

That’s a beauty ..... buy it... dump the leaf blowers get a nice 2:1 and it’s 100% perfect.......

How much?

That was my next question.......... he’s looking for around 6k
What do you think? It’s a 2004 bike.

What year and mileage? BTW it looks mint and we'll cared for. Loved my Dyna, can't think why they were discontinued.

Edit: just spotted 2004. That'll be the 88ci motor. Brilliant, I've had two, well over engineered, but has the
cam chain tensioner gubbins been modified? Worth asking about as there was some problems.
It's not a big job to modify.

BTW, 6k looks a good price.

Ask him if the cam chain tensioners have been changed/upgraded or not. Prior to 2007 they could be quite dodgy - ending up falling apart with bits of plastic destroying your oil pump and then the engine shitting it's pants.

If they have been done, then all good. If not, you really should get them done. It's not a hard job to do at home in an afternoon.

Nice looking bike apart from the pipes! A D&D BobCat in chrome would go really well.

That was my next question.......... he’s looking for around 6k
What do you think? It’s a 2004 bike. Just over 11k miles

Good price.... it will not depreciate any further.........

Budget to check the cam tensioner - nice 2:1 exhaust and get all your money back if it’s not for you in a year.......

This bike is crying out for a black 2:1 ( yes, yes I know it’s an M8)......

Attachments

• 55761A89-34D9-464B-977A-92D6DFB3C7ED.jpeg
    55761A89-34D9-464B-977A-92D6DFB3C7ED.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 432
Even I quite like it Johno and 6k for a half decent bike is nothing - get it bought :)

Andres

PS Melch is, as usual, talking complete and utter bollox. Even with a stage 34 and screaming budgie back light it wouldn’t stand a chance against my Cali .........

Thanks gents, some great information there........ I will pop along and have a look at it next week. Cheers :thumb

Needs to be upswept style though...

Au contraire....it’s not a dirt bike it should be parallel with the road. I’m sorry.....but it just should.

Even I quite like it Johno and 6k for a half decent bike is nothing - get it bought :)

Andres

PS Melch is, as usual, talking complete and utter bollox. Even with a stage 34 and screaming budgie back light it wouldn’t stand a chance against my Cali .........

Didn't we open a book on this once ?

Or was that Johnos Norton ?

Didn't we open a book on this once ?

Or was that Johnos Norton ?

That was more likely 'Would Johno make it to the Channel?' bets. :D

When this race does happen though, I will most definitely be strapping the cup to my headlight ala Monsieur Brando.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 210
Hi Johnn023,
I don't want to push in - but if you decide against the purchase, I would be very interested.
I have pm'ed you anyway.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom