Dry weights?

snerkler

Reaction score
Just purely out of curiosity does anyone know the dry weights of the R1250GS and R1250GSA as I've googled and can't find it. I see that wet weights there's 19kg difference but I'd suspect around 10kg of that difference is the fuel meaning that all that extra fairing and crash bars only weighs around 9kg?

Just purely out of curiosity does anyone know the dry weights of the R1250GS and R1250GSA as I've googled and can't find it. I see that wet weights there's 19kg difference but I'd suspect around 10kg of that difference is the fuel meaning that all that extra fairing and crash bars only weighs around 9kg?

10 litres of fuel only weighs 7.5 kilo. Not 10. Water is 1 litre to the kg. Not petrol. JJH

It's just lard. It's a big fat lad.

It's:
- More fuel 7 kg
- Standard engine crashbar 9 kg
- Standard luggage steel racks 2 kg
- Standard larger screen and extra fairing components 1 kg

If you strip the GS and GSA from the racks, crashbar, fueltank and plastics the look alike.

It's:
- More fuel 7 kg
- Standard engine crashbar 9 kg
- Standard luggage steel racks 2 kg
- Standard larger screen and extra fairing components 1 kg

If you strip the GS and GSA from the racks, crashbar, fueltank and plastics the look alike.

Thanks for the info. What about the upper fairing crash bars?

So if you add the engine crash bars to the GS there’s only 3kg difference between the two (excluding fuel)? I actually took the luggage racks off my GSA and just used the top box.

I think my old 2010 GSA was only 253kg, they’ve certainly added some weight over the years.

Thanks for the info. What about the upper fairing crash bars?

So if you add the engine crash bars to the GS there’s only 3kg difference between the two (excluding fuel)? I actually took the luggage racks off my GSA and just used the top box.

I think my old 2010 GSA was only 253kg, they’ve certainly added some weight over the years.

They certainly have. The first 1200 had a claimed dry weight of 199 kg. That was without abs which was an option then. No boxes. They have come a long way since then but the first one was the best. JJH

They certainly have. The first 1200 had a claimed dry weight of 199 kg. That was without abs which was an option then. No boxes. They have come a long way since then but the first one was the best. JJH
I’m testing out the 1250 gs and gsa on Wednesday, I’m not sure whether I’ll notice the gain in weight or not as it’s 9 years since I last rode one. My current bike is a whopping 375kg but with a much lower centre of gravity.

The bigger fuel tank will be part of the weight gain, perhaps a kilo.

The bigger fuel tank will be part of the weight gain, perhaps a kilo.

Yeah, I'd have thought that'd add something.

I'm always surprised how much you notice the extra weight, I always think that because I'm such a big guy these small differences in weight shouldn't make much of a difference but I remember how much I could tell when I filled up my tank on the GSA. Of course, it doesn't help that extra fuel makes it more top heavy.

People always state that the GS has a low centre of gravity but with the crank sat above the sump and camshaft, the alternator above that, the battery at that level too plus 20-30 litres on top of all that I disagree. When I switched from an 1150GS to the Yam Super Ten the latter felt as though it has a far lower Cof G and is much easier to move in and out of the garage, despite weighing more.

The Yam was always slagged as a lardy lump but the current GSA is heavier even before the farkling.

People always state that the GS has a low centre of gravity but with the crank sat above the sump and camshaft, the alternator above that, the battery at that level too plus 20-30 litres on top of all that I disagree. When I switched from an 1150GS to the Yam Super Ten the latter felt as though it has a far lower Cof G and is much easier to move in and out of the garage, despite weighing more.

The Yam was always slagged as a lardy lump but the current GSA is heavier even before the farkling.

I've never read or heard that the GS/GSA has a low centre of gravity tbh, but it is well balanced.

I'm always surprised how much you notice the extra weight, I always think that because I'm such a big guy these small differences in weight shouldn't make much of a difference but I remember how much I could tell when I filled up my tank on the GSA. Of course, it doesn't help that extra fuel makes it more top heavy.

I agree. Having owned a GS, GSA and many smaller bikes too (currently NC750x)

Weight is actually more similar than they feel to me. The GSA always felt like a barge when I was trying to load it onto my Sealey bike stand (running it up onto the table, and then trying to put it on centre stand). The GS feels much easier. The NC feels like a toy! My brothers Himalayan (around 200kg IIRC) feels like a pushbike. Altho the weights are all within maybe 20%, the difference feels enormous (to me anyways, and I'm a fairly fit 14 stone).

I agree. Having owned a GS, GSA and many smaller bikes too (currently NC750x)

Weight is actually more similar than they feel to me. The GSA always felt like a barge when I was trying to load it onto my Sealey bike stand (running it up onto the table, and then trying to put it on centre stand). The GS feels much easier. The NC feels like a toy! My brothers Himalayan (around 200kg IIRC) feels like a pushbike. Altho the weights are all within maybe 20%, the difference feels enormous (to me anyways, and I'm a fairly fit 14 stone).

I’ve not been 14 stone since I was a teenager :eek: I know what you mean though, the listed weight can be deceiving.

Maybe it's all in the mind, but my 2021 1250GS feels lighter than my outgoing Tiger 1200XRT, esp when coming off the side stand the GS feels much lighter. But then I also went with the lowered GS been vertically challenged :)

I’ve had gsa 1200 twin cam and l/c. You could squeeze 36 litres of fuel into the twin cam. Never had a problem loved them both. Wish I had one now. Chopped for an rt. now on a 850 gs. I was about 110 kilograms at the time. I’d say my stomach was heavier than the 16 extra litres. I’ll probably never have a new gsa again the prices are stupid. €26,000 for a specked up one. I’m retired on a postman’s wage. JJH

Back
Top Bottom