Centre stand ride off

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you use the “in gear, sit back and ride off” to disengage the centre stand ?
Seen it done a few times and it looks a nice way to get going.

If I can’t be arsed, kicking down side stand pull bike down onto side stand climbing etc then yes, although I use a slight rocking motion and as the wheels hit and I’m rolling just open the throttle and slip the clutch. So at least 1-2 on average a week, although don’t try and impress a sexy female at a petrol station and either stall and almost lose it or succeed give said female a cheeky helmet nod and not see the kerb

Just be careful that the sidestand is up before trying this. If you leave it down, when you come off the centre stand and the suspension compresses, the sidestand throws you to the right and you and your passenger are dumped on the ground. Believe me!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

If you put it in gear before putting side stand up it'll stop.

Examine what the centre stand bolts and mechanism is connect to.....the engine cases

When I had an 1100RT, the balance was perfect, bike could be put on mainstand without getting off it, and this was my normal way of getting bike off stand, did so continuously for the 2 years I owned it.
Then bought a 1200RT. BMW fucked up the stand height and location, so it needed a weightlifter to put the thing on the mainstand. Once on, the stand was mounted 50mm too far to the rear of the bike, so unless there was around 20kg in the top box, ride off was impossible.

Then bought a 1200RT. BMW fucked up the stand height and location, so it needed a weightlifter to put the thing on the mainstand. Once on, the stand was mounted 50mm too far to the rear of the bike, so unless there was around 20kg in the top box, ride off was impossible.

Really?

I'm 5'8" at around 11 stone when I owned my 1200RT - never had an issue propping it on to the centre stand.

Not tried the ride-off method though.

Really?

I'm 5'8" at around 11 stone when I owned my 1200RT - never had an issue propping it on to the centre stand.

Not tried the ride-off method though.
Try doing it whilst still sitting on the bike. Easy on 1100RT, impossible on 1200.

Examine what the centre stand bolts and mechanism is connect to.....the engine cases

Plus the centre stand bushes are made of nylon and not as strong as you'd think :eek: But probably up to the battering. I'm thinking a rider and pillion could be putting an extra 150kg of weight on the bushes on top of the 280 kg of wet bike.

Yes. All the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....... and .....

It looks shit doesn't it?!

C'mon ..... look smart, look professional! No sitting on the bike and rocking it off!

:beerjug:

I've watched it being done but I just know that I'd make a right tit of myself........

:nono

Back
Top Bottom