Reliability

Do you have specific concerns?

Yes, which to invest in. I’m quite happy to have an older bike and from my own experiences, the twin cam bikes were more reliable and presented far fewer niggles. Just trying to get a consensus to affirm my view.

Not sure yet about the reliability thing. I just bought my riding buddy's old mount, a 2009 GS Adventure. It has over 117,000 miles on it and runs just fine, but I will keep you posted...:D

Last of the tc air cooled bikes are a much better bet than earlier production lc bikes

Have a look in the relevant sections on here. There's lots of info and opinions.

What I have read on these pages are that the TwinCam was at the end of a development cycle that started with the 1200s in 2004/5. So any niggles will have been ironed out, and improvements made along the way to culminate in this bike.

The WC were a whole new bike. New engine, even the swinging arm is on the other side. The process starts again, ironing out the niggles until they get it right.

So the newer the bike in the design cycle stands a good chance of being the most reliable. e.g. the 1250s now have improved on the original WC bikes and so on.

If you like the older reliable bikes I have a very reliable 1150 you might be interested in. :thumb

Not a lot with the oil cooled , final drives , exhaust valves (simple fix)and fuel strips where fitted.

Water cooled here goes :

Corrosion to engine cases
Clutch pushrods
Front suspension issues
Loose spokes
Leaking front brakes
Exhaust valves ,now incorporated in the headers
Esa suspension failures, although 3rd party rebuilds available
Now some reports of camshaft issues.
TFT connectivity issues

I thought the idea of the water cooled model was for emissions but I note the old model Rnine is now euro 5 compliant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch out if the oil cooled needs a clutch , fairly straight forward to do if you’re that way inclined and have a day spare with a garage otherwise dealer will want around £1300

Watch out if the oil cooled needs a clutch , fairly straight forward to do if you’re that way inclined and have a day spare with a garage otherwise dealer will want around £1300

Or you could use one of the excellent independent guys, such as Steptoe, Mikeyboy etc.

There’s the few weak(ish) items as mentioned but in my experience it’s the quality of the finish, or lack of it, that kills the longevity of the bike. It’ll need a strip down and paint/powder coat of the various sun frames and engine casings before other stuff wears out.

There’s the few weak(ish) items as mentioned but in my experience it’s the quality of the finish, or lack of it, that kills the longevity of the bike. It’ll need a strip down and paint/powder coat of the various sun frames and engine casings before other stuff wears out.

My old r1150rt , bought it 3 years old , but hard used , the Tupperware hides a multitude of sins. Needed a clutch so was easy to get subframe & brackets off at that time.

Still more complex on an air cooled 12 GS to change the clutch than on the 11/1150 series

It's no big deal though if you are a competent home mechanic. Did mine in 2014 for a slipping clutch, now in bits again for the gearbox noise.

Back
Top Bottom