Oil in brake drum

rolldrum

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting oil in my rear brake drum. I have a R80G/s, 1983. I've tried new seals on the brake actuating shaft without success. I had the bevel box apart and seen I've got the one bush setup. I want to swop for the long tube, however I can't find one anywhere, Motoworks, Motobins, Bmw Motrrad say they're not being made any more. My local machinist says he can't make something with such a thin wall! Can anyone help, Where to buy one or recommendations on where to get one made.
Thanks in advance

Could be well worth giving Mikeyboy of this parish a shout,he's a top bloke

Kimbo

Oiling brakes reduces drag, it's used in Moto 1 training

Hi, I've been getting oil in my rear brake drum. I have a R80G/s, 1983. I've tried new seals on the brake actuating shaft without success. I had the bevel box apart and seen I've got the one bush setup. I want to swop for the long tube, however I can't find one anywhere, Motoworks, Motobins, Bmw Motrrad say they're not being made any more. My local machinist says he can't make something with such a thin wall! Can anyone help, Where to buy one or recommendations on where to get one made.
Thanks in advance
As you say,no longer available,
Iirc and will confirm later in the week,you can use a paralever one which is slightly longer but has the correct I’d/od and shorten it to correct length

Two of us reciently found and ordered the "tubes" from Germany using the BMW part number from real OEM , think they were about £17 each so we both ordered them.

Only problem was that when they arrived they were to small on the outside diameter and just fell through the hole , so they were no good -- shit happens.

Anyway we both fitted new "O" rings only this time 10mm id X 2.2mm wall in Nitrile.

Guess what - no oil . Fingers crossed.

Think if you can get the "tube" fix i would go for it as its a better long term solution.

Brilliant, thanks for the info, I've got one on order from BMW, so hopefully it'll be the right size.

If you have oil getting into the drum check the oil in the drive shaft, you may find that there isn't much in there, it's all leaked into the final drive raising the level too far and causing it to leak into the brake. Mikeyboy sorted mine. I think that there is a better seal for the input shaft. Mine is an '83 R100.

Well the para tube fitted ok,
Needed to shorten it by 12mm
15.8 mm od

I measured the OD on the tubes we have got , they are 15.75 mm dia so 0.05mm down (2 thou). But they both fell through ,hole was around 16mm dia on both my bike a 1982 g/s and Chriss's bike a 83 ST. So not sure about it. Still might come in handy sometime.

Back
Top Bottom