A few K1600 questions?

The 1250RT is a more credible option compared to the K1600 than the old 1200 version, so well worth a try.

It’s quite a close second on outright performance, easily equal in comfort for this 6’3” big fella.

But if you want a screaming six there really is no alternative.

I'd change dealership out of principle, it shit like this that makes my fucking teeth itch, unfortunately most will agree to paying for a test ride and that's exactly why they charge.

They're arrogant enough to think it's a "privilege" - like we the customer are doing them a favour??!!
TBH I wasn’t informed until I turned up and then it was too late. He then gave me some spiel about how very few places even offer test rides, which is obviously complete BS. I’ve had free test rides on BMW’s (when it was Rainbow), Harley, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph and Kawasaki.

Don't right the RTs' legroom off by having a quick sit. I'm a perfectly proportioned 6ft;), 61yrs old and have poor flexibility, my initial thoughts were the same as snerklers. In fact, after the first couple of 1hr+ rides, putting my feet down wasn't something I looked fwd to. Now after 2K miles I've got the seat on it's lowest setting and I've no problem at all.

I've noticed, as Wapping says, you do [can], adapt to the comfort side of things. This is noticeable every year as the amount of riding I do increases as the weather warms [in theory:eek:], in spring.
That’s interesting, thanks.

The 1250RT is a more credible option compared to the K1600 than the old 1200 version, so well worth a try.

It’s quite a close second on outright performance, easily equal in comfort for this 6’3” big fella.

But if you want a screaming six there really is no alternative.
I’m not necessarily after a screaming 6 no, just something that I can ride comfortably that I enjoy :thumb2

TBH I wasn’t informed until I turned up and then it was too late.

He then gave me some spiel about how very few places even offer test rides, which is obviously complete BS.

I’ve had free test rides on BMW’s (when it was Rainbow), Harley, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph and Kawasaki.

Which BMW dealer was that?

I have the R1250GSA and a K1600GT Sport.

They are both entirely different to ride.

I modified the GSA with bar risers to make ergonomics suit me more.

The K1600 has the shorter screen which I found better than on my previous K1600 where I found the wind flow directed itself in the wrong place, the shorter screen much better. For me that is.

There is more legroom on the GSA and by comparison the K1600 does feel slightly cramped, but this hasn't prevented me from taking it across Europe and it is most definitely all day comfortable.

Both different, both great bikes.

I am 2 metres tall.

Hope that helps. :fbthumb

J.R.

I have the R1250GSA and a K1600GT Sport.

They are both entirely different to ride.

I modified the GSA with bar risers to make ergonomics suit me more.

The K1600 has the shorter screen which I found better than on my previous K1600 where I found the wind flow directed itself in the wrong place, the shorter screen much better. For me that is.

There is more legroom on the GSA and by comparison the K1600 does feel slightly cramped, but this hasn't prevented me from taking it across Europe and it is most definitely all day comfortable.

Both different, both great bikes.

I am 2 metres tall.

Hope that helps. :fbthumb

J.R.
Thanks for the info.

So how ‘flickable’ is the K1600? I’ve read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of youtube videos and they comment how well it handles and how agile it is, but is that in general or compared to a cruise ship? Riding the GSA yesterday it felt ridiculously nimble, almost like a toy bike I could just chuck about. Got back on the Harley and it felt like I was trying to manoeuvre the QE2. Is the difference between the GSA and K1600 as much as that, or are we talking just slightly less agile?

The RT’s also been thrown into the mix now above, and after doing a little research this lunchtime I see that you can get a high seat, and lower footpegs so this is a credible option now. Is there a lot of difference in nimbleness on the twisties between the RT and K1600? (I know it’s all subjective but any info is helpful)

How flickable is it?

What sort of rider are you? Upright Eddy or Knee Down Nigel? It weighs 320 kgs, a flickable RS 250 Aprilia weighs 167 kg and has a totally different geometry.

Yes, you can hustle it down small leafy lanes. Yes, it will change direction quickly. Yes, if going fast, you somehow end up pointing in the wrong direction, it will probably need an almighty haul on the brakes to stop it..... or just counter steer like hell and look really hard at where need to go..... and discover God in a hurry.

Just go out and ride one. All this subjective navel-gazing is getting you nowhere.

On the RT - you can get a high seat (I have one here surplus to requirements …) and bar risers (also have some …) but lowered pegs are more difficult.

If you’re really tall you can get one of the seat lowering brackets (that clips in to hold the front of the seat) and turn it upside down for a little extra lift.

If you’ve not seen before this website is a helpful comparison: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Though not as good as a test ride.

How flickable is it?

What sort of rider are you? Upright Eddy or Knee Down Nigel? It weighs 320 kgs, a flickable RS 250 Aprilia weighs 167 kg and has a totally different geometry.

Yes, you can hustle it down small leafy lanes. Yes, it will change direction quickly. Yes, if going fast, you somehow end up pointing in the wrong direction, it will probably need an almighty haul on the brakes to stop it..... or just counter steer like hell and look really hard at where need to go..... and discover God in a hurry.

Just go out and ride one. All this subjective navel-gazing is getting you nowhere.
I agree but I’m not in a position I can just drop into a dealership for a test ride willy nilly therefore I like to do some research in the meantime. Flickable is probably not the best term, I guess agile is a better term. I consider a GS and GSA as agile, my Harley more like a boat.
On the RT - you can get a high seat (I have one here surplus to requirements …) and bar risers (also have some …) but lowered pegs are more difficult.

If you’re really tall you can get one of the seat lowering brackets (that clips in to hold the front of the seat) and turn it upside down for a little extra lift.

If you’ve not seen before this website is a helpful comparison: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Though not as good as a test ride.

Thanks, I use that site a lot to look how the ergonomics are, but as we’re all in agreement it doesn’t beat a test ride. It’s good to get an idea though :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom