Puncture Safe and TPMS

dbagchi

Reaction score
Can any one comment on using Puncture Safe or similar staff on tyres with TPMS? Any experience or advice?
I have used them on non TPMs tyres. Done the job twice for me. But wondered if it's compatible with TPMS?

Can any one comment on using Puncture Safe or similar staff on tyres with TPMS? Any experience or advice?
I have used them on non TPMs tyres. Done the job twice for me. But wondered if it's compatible with TPMS?

I believe you shouldn't use puncture sealing gunk on wheels fitted with TPMS sensors.

I’m not a fan because it can mask a problem which instead of been fixed can potentially get worse and worse over time until there’s a big failure. I’ve no problem with the get you home type of stuff and I have used it with the TPMS with no problems. JJH

Put some puncturesafe in my rear tyre on Saturday, to fix a puncture. Left the TPMS visible on the dashboard whilst out riding, to see if the tyre was holding pressure.
No problems to report, TPMS working OK and showed the pressure varying slightly as the tyre heated up and cooled down.
Been using the stuff for years, although this is the first time in a wheel with TPMS.
I did google using it with TPMS beforehand, as usual lots of people giving an opinion without any direct knowledge or experience, lots saying they use it and all works well.

Thanks JJH, will that take me home staff work in the same way as the puncturesafe? So it seems from Watty100's account. The website for puncturesafe claims compatibility. Thanks Watty100, btw for sharing your experience.
Worth keeping an eye on first hand accounts.

It probably works in the same way in that it prevents air leakage in the event of a puncture but the get you home stuff is only that you should have the puncture mended ASAP. Puncture safe and many other similar products are sold as a substance that you put into the tyre before you get a puncture and it sits there passively till a nail or whatever pierces the tyre and it seals the leak. The problem is that if you pick up something in your tyre and it gets sealed you won’t know it’s there so there is a potential for say a Stanley blade to be doing damage masked by the sealing stuff till you get a sudden failure. JJH

Back
Top Bottom