Belarus - anyone been?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good pal has put an idea in my head of a trip to Belarus.

Covid complications mean this won’t happen until 2022 but looking at maps etc now.
I understand that currently only air travel is allowed (though last week’s hijack has changed all that) and 30 days is allowed visa free.

Anyone been? Not looking for advice strictly but more any experiences of the country.

good few years back we had a lorry impounded there.... for not other reason that they fancied it...

took a while to figure that out... if you like crumbling soviet stuff you'll love it...

We were hoping to get there this summer, but it's going to be another couple of years now.
Last years trip to Albania is still yet to happen.

I was there in 2013, lots of Soviet architecture still extant. Very clean place with friendly locals who back then wouldn't have a word said against Lukashenko. Guessing its a bit different now. Big motorcycle scene in Minsk dominated by a gang called "Rolling Anarchy", spent a bit of time with them in Russia and Georgia, excellent fun but my liver still hasn't recovered.....
The country isn't/wasn't really set up for mass tourism in that hotels weren't everywhere. That may have changed. English wasn't widely spoken but I got invited to speak to a student English group, they ask spoke better English than I did so that may have changed as well👍
Two facts about Belarus - Lee Harvey Oswald lived in Minsk for a while before he shot Kennedy & they grow most of Europe's potatoes....
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would definitely go back.

I went there in 2006 on a choir tour. One of our members at the time worked for the FCO and was the British Ambassador in Minsk and that is why we went.

It was a fascinating place - as above not really set-up for tourism and I think that on our visit we probably shown what people wanted us to see and were discouraged from going out and about on our own.

We had 'minders' with us all the time - not as part of our party but you would see the same people, shady guys in suits smoking and hanging around, wherever we went presumably checking up on what we were doing. I would love to go back one day.

Back
Top Bottom