Side wind deflector setup

BillyYo

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought I would share some info on my latest purchase. Maybe it will help someone else.

8a170bdca339e69d47614bb1bbddb894.jpg

dbead9f14605da0e7e01cd83c30cecf6.jpg

Background

Even with my Puig screen on the bike I still get hit hard in the midsection by gusts of wind. I've let other riders have a go on the bike and it's the first thing they mention when getting off.

I feel like the wind is coming in from the sides or up through the bike.. it's not fun so I've gone and ordered these things:

Motorcycle Deflector Side Top for BMW R1200GS R1250GS LC ADV F750GS F850GS Black https://ebay.us/7LBHSJ

They came without instructions.. The description on the site says: "2:Easy to install,without instructions." I call Bull sheite on that!

I had a lot of trial and error getting these on.

Lessons learned:

Don't attach the fairings to their metal holders until you have the metal things on the bike. If you do it's very hard/impossible to get to the screw that attaches it to the bike.

They sit on top of the indicator housing. I deduced that they don't go between bike and indicator housing as it has cut outs for the grooved bits of plastic of the indicator mount.

To get off the indicator screw you'll need a 30 hex and you will need to finesse a 10 socket behind the faring to hold to nut while you take off the screw. Otherwise you will be turning the screw while the nut behind turns at the same time getting you nowhere. You don't need to go taking off the fenders.

Attach the deflectors to the metal holding thingies loosely as to get all 3 points to screw in you will have to squeeze the plastic to get it in line. Maybe another pair of hand would help here.

For the 3 screws that connect the deflector to the metal I think it has to go Screw > clear ring > Deflector > black ring > metal holder thing. don't tighten too hard as it will squash ther plastic washer out from between the screw and deflector.

2 rubber sticky things come with it and I made the assumption that these would go between the frame of the deflectors and the fairing should they slip down or have vibration.

There is 2 other mtal rings that came in the box and I have no clue what they were for. Maybe the R1200 indicators have a recessed scre that requires these... I may never know.

I will wait till the weekend to try these out and give an update on how they work out. I'm not in love with how they look(should have got the clear plastic). Just looking at them, I'm dubious as to how much more wind they will deflect but I'm going to try to be optimistic.

Cheers
038450142988b1db7d8eb82d62a4352c.jpg
700cf69ce7fca599eab36c144a420f55.jpg
6f3453f35ba4397868763484febb0ea4.jpg
cf8d9db95f1ccaa6282f8c18f2827fbe.jpg
49e9ae37b837e555ae8ab71a843f9dbb.jpg
642b63a0ef6fc88bb7cde9fb89ae5182.jpg

Sent from my LM-F100 using Tapatalk

Rode to Wales yesterday and these definitely made a difference. Still getting a chunk of wind into the face but it's fine and on a hot day would be appreciated.

For 30 quid these are well worth it!

Sent from my LM-F100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom