Soft side panniers for 2015 1200 GSA?

TomP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for soft panniers that will fit onto the standard brackets made to carry the normal tin box panniers?

Thanks.

Tom

Here you go...

I have a set of these myself, not used them yet but they are full of camping gear for a trip to the lakes the week after next.... Initial impression of them is great. Good quality and very well made and fit directly on the GSA pannier rails.. Not sure about the GS pannier rails (you may need to convert them to the GSA versions)..

https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/soft-luggage/bumot-xtremada-soft-pannier-system/

The only consideration i'd suggest is potentially changing the inner dry bags that come with them. They are HUGE and proper dry bags but because of that they are also quite bulky... I've replaced mine with a set of soft dry bags from ortlieb..

Thanks, Urban Rider. I hadn’t heard of Bumot before. I assume they started out by making heated seats. ��

I've been using Xtremada soft panniers on my 1250GSA for about 18 months now. I bought them not only because they fitted the standard GS/GSA frames but also because they were the only soft panniers I could find with the offside pannier is shaped over the exhaust. Apart from the small extra volume this gives in the offside pannier, I prefer the look of the shaped pannier. I swap between the Xtremadas for commuting/local riding and the BMW hard panniers for touring. The main thing to say about the Xtremadas is that they are not in any way waterproof and you have to use some kind of drybag inside if you are carrying anything you want to keep dry. I agree that the Bumot drybags are next to useless. They are too big and too stiff and therefore not suited to using the maximum volume available from the panniers. FWIW I use the BMW drybags from the hard panniers in the Xtremada bags but they're not ideal either

I've had Bumot hard panniers in the past on previous bikes. Indeed I've got them on my other bike, an Africa Twin Adventure Sports, and the hard panniers are excellent, far superior to the BMW hard panniers IMHO. However I'm less impressed by the Bumot Xtremada soft panniers. I do think they could and should have been designed as waterproof panniers which would make them so much more usable.

The other panniers I've always liked the look of and are waterproof are the Mosko Moto bags https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-panniers. However they are very expensive and not shaped around the exhaust and apart from that, they need their own frame which means swapping between soft and hard panniers regularly like I do is not really possible

I have bumot soft bags with bumot frame, excellent for all year, to keep waterproof I use 50L green garden rubbish bags, complete waterproof and cheap.

Kreiga make a set... expensive, but very well made (IMHO)

BMW do also have a set of soft bags. They look good and seems to be well made.
The standard BMW steel rack is used, and then you install an attachment plate to it that allows for a quick release of the bags.

Someone mentioned that the BMW bags where made by Mosko Moto. If so, they are probably not any cheaper than the MM bags...

Thanks Mikeef. I agree with you about the shape. It’s what I’ll want if I do fit soft bags. Do the Extremadas have any protection from the heat of the silencer? I’ve learned that Cymarc produce/produced a bolt-on plate for that side, for use when a soft bag was fitted. That suggests an unprotected bag can get quite warm.

Tom

Thanks Mikeef. I agree with you about the shape. It’s what I’ll want if I do fit soft bags. Do the Extremadas have any protection from the heat of the silencer? I’ve learned that Cymarc produce/produced a bolt-on plate for that side, for use when a soft bag was fitted. That suggests an unprotected bag can get quite warm.

Tom

Bumot have protection plates with the bags on both sides, nice thick steel very good indeed, I travel many kms never bag gets hot.

I’ve never heard of or seen BMW’s own soft panniers for the GSA. Those you’ve linked to don’t seem to be them.

I’ve never heard of or seen BMW’s own soft panniers for the GSA. Those you’ve linked to don’t seem to be them.

The ones in the link is used by Walter himself, who designed it, Lyndon Poskitt from Races to Places etc.

The BMW kit is in their catalogue, it is called The Atacama.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the Vario panniers with soft luggage, a weight saving idea when 2 up.
Any views on securing them when away from the bike, what’s the best choice of security?

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the Vario panniers with soft luggage, a weight saving idea when 2 up.
Any views on securing them when away from the bike, what’s the best choice of security?

No weight save as you have metal plate on back, same as vario weight in end, and not design for security, only possible to remove with key, but secure bag, not really possible unless you go with maybe pacsafe.

https://shop.touratech.nl/pacsafe-55-steel-net-for-luggage-for-35-55-l-for-rackpack-m.html

Soft panniers vs pannier cases.

Soft panniers, particularly the ADV spec Magadans, is more resistant to damage when crashing on gravel roads or trials. The bags are made to have removeable inner bags that would be easy to compartmentalise your kit. Security depends on the bike but some have fitted Pacsafe nets around the luggage to keep it safe.

One manufacturer I should have mentioned is Lone Rider who make what they call semi rigid soft bags which have two big advantages over the Xtremada bags in that they are waterproof and lockable

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/collections/luggage/products/motobags

I have just noticed that they can now fit straight onto the standard GSA pannier frame and also have a quick release mechanism (which looks very similar to that on the Xtremada bags)

IMHO that makes them a better choice than the Xtremada but of course they are considerably more expensive

Back
Top Bottom