Goldwing…….nearly

The latest episode of The Motorbike Show (series 11 episode5) that was on last night has Henry riding my bike !!

98c6042585e593c08a1a997d8ccdbd64.jpg

I am trying to decipher the use of the bluetooth dongle on the Goldwing, to negate the use of having a helmet intercom connected. I assume that the dongle effectively emulates the headset being present (a connected intercom is needed to get Carplay working).

I have bought a cheap bluetooth usb dongle off of amazon, and assuming it plugs in to the usb socket in the topbox, how do I get Apple Carplay connected to the bike if the usb socket is now in use?

Answered in detail earlier in the thread I believe - use the other USB socket in your side pannier for the dongle not the top box one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to decipher the use of the bluetooth dongle on the Goldwing, to negate the use of having a helmet intercom connected. I assume that the dongle effectively emulates the headset being present (a connected intercom is needed to get Carplay working).

I have bought a cheap bluetooth usb dongle off of amazon, and assuming it plugs in to the usb socket in the topbox, how do I get Apple Carplay connected to the bike if the usb socket is now in use?

Should be explained above - but basically you need to plug your new dongle in to the USB socket in left pannier then plug phone into USB socket in top box.
Go into Audio settings and pair the dongle as Rider Headset

OK, I *think* I get it. Is there any way to use a Bluetooth dongle to remove the need to plug the phone into the bike's USB port - i.e. a wireless Apple carplay solution? At present, I use a spare iPhone in the top box whilst keeping my main iPhone in my pocket. This is massive overkill but I like to keep my phone on me for a semi-obvious reason.

OK, I *think* I get it. Is there any way to use a Bluetooth dongle to remove the need to plug the phone into the bike's USB port - i.e. a wireless Apple carplay solution? At present, I use a spare iPhone in the top box whilst keeping my main iPhone in my pocket. This is massive overkill but I like to keep my phone on me for a semi-obvious reason.

No, you still need a phone connected.

Has your usb dongle got a headset bt protocol on it ?

CarPlay only works when plugged in unfortunately

I understand the Akcord wireless Car Play adapter dongle is listed as being GW compatible. Cost, around £50.

Is there any news for Android users though; it seems a strange omission.

I understand the Akcord wireless Car Play adapter dongle is listed as being GW compatible. Cost, around £50.

Is there any news for Android users though; it seems a strange omission.

Where do you find the Akcord adaptor? I can’t seem to find it

Collected my Goldstrike Highway Pegs and UltraGard cover at the weekend.
The pegs were a tad fiddly to fit as the instructions weren’t 100% clear to me.

Got them on fine but slightly annoying that the powder coat has rubbed off where they fold against a screw head :

bbe205d0e46c5a1d2b0e69670f262c14.jpg

I’m pretty sure I’ve fitted then correctly, as if I rotate that spigot 180 degrees, then the peg doesn’t fold out flat because the screw head stops it.

I’ve emailed Goldstrike for their comments but it’s hardly noticeable.

The cover fits well and is a good quality.

Finally got my Wing off the island and into seventh gear !! :)
Done 600 miles in last three days, so a few random thoughts.
The motor is the stand-out feature. It’s bloody fantastic.
Stick it in Sport and it hangs on to the redline (6000 revs ish) until changing up and it sounds like a Porsche.It flies too.
Tour mode is fine and the best mode for most use,as Sport is a bit too aggressive unless you are really having a play.
Econ is ok but changes up very early and hits seventh by 45 mph.
Haven’t tried Rain.
Handling is bloody fantastic.
It tips into corners so easily.Had the left peg scrape yesterday without trying, though ground clearance is pretty good.
I have the taller screen from the Tour on my bike .
It’s great on the autoroute in full up but when right down, the top of the screen is right in my eye level.
Will probably keep it for winter use and put the OE short screen back on when I get home.
Suspension is pretty good.I’m sure the eleccy stuff on the Tour is better but its fine on all but the bumpiest of roads.
Apple CarPlay works pretty well most of the time though it did drop my helmet comms once.
I’m using the MyRoute app for nav and the only glitch I’ve found is the ‘skip waypoint’ button sometimes skips more than one waypoint with a single press !!

Luggage capacity is a slight issue.
I went for the non Tour as I dont like the armchair on the back and would rather save £5k !!

I’ve fitted a Shad 58 litre box.

I’m using the panniers and wife using the top box.
With the amount of shite she packs, we only really have enough space for about 4 nights away, but if we do a longer trip away from my place in Brittany then we’ll take more wicking stuff and do some washing every 3/4 days.

Comfort is good-wife is very happy on the back and I find the riding position comfy with the caveat that I get a tightness in the middle back-but on other bikes such as KTM 1290 I had a tightness between the shoulders.It’s more an issue with my back and 3 knackered disc than an issue with any bike.

I’ve been getting 47mpg and that’s caning it a fair bit.The fuel gauge
with range remaining seems VERY accurate and I’ve been filling up at 180 ish miles with about 4 litres left so about 220 to empty, though when pottering a bit got more like 250 to empty.

Not great but good enough for a flat six !

The creeper F and R motor is a godsend for backing out of garage and up and down cambers .Saves knackered knees and back.

Thats about it really.

Overall I’m very happy.

89eb10998d398bed11fa3a1992a66b8c.jpg

81ca2b2482a80d2fd60d48b218d90e5d.jpg

572ea87349bee7a62b8fdd9171410ef2.jpg

Wonderful pictures, and I concur with your random thoughts.
Have you updated Honda's sat nav yet? My understanding is it's more than just map updates it also improves connectivity.
I felt similar with wind screens. The stock low one went up high enough for me but then the mount stays were a distraction. The top edge of the tall screen in the low position was in my line of sight. Cutting (I can't recall exactly) I believe around 2 1/2" off the tall screen made it just right for me.

Back
Top Bottom