Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Military Road, rest and be Thankful - is it legal/passable?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Old Military Road, rest and be Thankful - is it legal/passable?

This one here just off the A83, starting at (56.20099956175816, -4.8255598144568825).

Is it legal? Is it passable? Is it worth it? Is it paved or unpaved?

Are there any more?

find the definitive rights of way map for the local council. it will be online and include all BOAT's etc

It's paved. It's been used several times recently as an alternative to the modern road which has been closed by landslips. Here it is being used in a BoS ad ...

Is it worth it? There are better roads to ride ... Not sure about access but it's unlikely to be too difficult for a bike. One of the weegie brethren will doubtless know.
    "Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    find the definitive rights of way map for the local council. it will be online and include all BOAT's etc
    It’s Scotland. There are no BOATS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know you can use it. Last time I was on it was when the ,proper, road was closed. There’s not much point though. It’s only a short stretch and the main road has good views.

I used it a few years ago… In snow… In a Celica, so not exactly challenging
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul
    '00 R1150GS "Adv/Supermoto"
    '95 Honda CRM250 Mk3

If it's not thrashing the fastest two wheeled machinery known to man, down country lanes lined with stone walls, sometimes in thick fog & driving rain, it's not proper racing - Thank goodness for the TT......

Thanks all, just looking to see what there is in the way of alternative routes.

Old Military Road

Rest and be Thank full was regularly used as a Hill Climb venue cars and bikes. . Was also used as a rally stage on the Scottish International several times. Can`t remember last time used but I used it in 1980. Someone here will know.

A couple of alternatives ...

1. The single track road which overlooks Faslane and takes you to Garelochhead.

2. Then on to Portavadie via Tighnabruich. Take the ferry from Portavadie to Tarbert. Then do the loop around Kintyre or take the ferry from Claonaig to Lochranza and Arran
    "Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Den View Post
    Rest and be Thank full was regularly used as a Hill Climb venue cars and bikes. . Was also used as a rally stage on the Scottish International several times. Can`t remember last time used but I used it in 1980. Someone here will know.
    I think Jim Clark started his career doing hill climbs there

Quote Originally Posted by Posh Pete View Post

2. Then on to Portavadie via Tighnabruich. Take the ferry from Portavadie to Tarbert. Then do the loop around Kintyre or take the ferry from Claonaig to Lochranza and Arran
    Good ones too!
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

It's paved. It's been used several times recently as an alternative to the modern road which has been closed by landslips. Here it is being used in a BoS ad ...

Is it worth it? There are better roads to ride ... Not sure about access but it's unlikely to be too difficult for a bike. One of the weegie brethren will doubtless know.
    I like Susan Calman, she is funny and made a really good UK travel series recently.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

Mrs Berin has been watching Susan Calmas series, says its very good.

We're really looking forward to this trip, did a lot of diving off the west coast years ago, even out to St Kilda on one trip. Mrs Berin's second big motorbike trip was Scotland, the weather was shite and we camped till I got fed up of it and we switched to hotels. Mrs Berin nearly binned her F800GS at Applecross on the hairpins, by trying to go around them upright

Here's the route plan. On account of Covid, we've taken the unusual for us step of planning out the whole route and booking digs at each stop.

We've got most of the time in the Western Isles and Sky, with 2-3 nights at each stop so we can have an explore around.

We're planning to stop at Harris Tweed, to get some tweed, see the golden eagles on Mull, Mrs Berin has been tracking otter sightings out on the islands so we'll maybe go otter spotting,

Possibly, if it's worked and anyone gives a monkeys, the trip can be viewed here

Got to visit Callanish while you’re on Lewis. Fantastic place.
    And the ride all the way round the dead end road to the little jetty after Breanis is worth it too. So secluded and peaceful it’s great for relaxing for a few hours. Be careful of going for a paddle though because the riptide will take your feet from under you!

There was a campsite on Lewis at Shawbost that was owned by a chap that used to make Harris Tweed on a loom in an outbuilding. Absolutely amazing to watch. And noisy! Still got some somewhere that he made while I was there. I’m going back 20+ years so may no longer be there.
    A Needy Twat

I’ll check that out, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Udders View Post
    Got to visit Callanish while you’re on Lewis. Fantastic place.
    And the ride all the way round the dead end road to the little jetty after Breanis is worth it too. So secluded and peaceful it’s great for relaxing for a few hours. Be careful of going for a paddle though because the riptide will take your feet from under you!

There was a campsite on Lewis at Shawbost that was owned by a chap that used to make Harris Tweed on a loom in an outbuilding. Absolutely amazing to watch. And noisy! Still got some somewhere that he made while I was there. I’m going back 20+ years so may no longer be there.
    Callanish was on the list, but the Breanis diversion sounds great! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast