Exhaust valve stuck open....by a stone

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

So, assuming I've not been fed a load of bullshit by the dealer, I took my 1250GSA in today to have the "Engine!" warning message diagnosed. Suspect it was the exhaust valve as this is apparently quite a common issue.

Anyway, they spent 45 mins looking at it and said that the warning light was indeed due to the exhaust valve being stuck, but that it wasn't siezed, it was stuck open (or shut I forget which) by a stone. I asked them how on earth that could even happen and they said that had no idea and that a stone dropped down the end can shouldn't be able to make its way through and into the valve so they are stumped. Their exact words were "it's bizarre, we've never seen anything like this before and I'm sure you're not in the habit of feeding the bike gravel".

They've inferred the diagnostics will have to be paid by me as no part has actually malfunctioned, but given these bikes are used for all kinds of terrain, how on earth could this of happened, and more to the point how I prevent it happening again?

Sounds unlikely to me...

I'd be pushing for free diagnosis. Damn it, I'd be saying replace it before it goes wrong...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

i did not know that an engine management light would come on with a faulty exhaust flap,i am sure i have heard folk on here saying there flap was stick in the open position and they just left it that way

i did not know that an engine management light would come on with a faulty exhaust flap,i am sure i have heard folk on here saying there flap was stick in the open position and they just left it that way

Yeah it defo can, a few friends have had it and had to have the entire exhaust system replaced under warranty. I know a few people who had 1200’s who just bought a little bypass dongle to stop the warning light coming up.

We've gone from exhaust valve to exhaust flap. There's a big difference between the two and makes the diagnosis more feasible........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

We've gone from exhaust valve to exhaust flap. There's a big difference between the two and makes the diagnosis more feasible........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

i am sure he means the flap at the rear of the header pipes

I wish people would stop �� referring to a flap in the exhaust as an exhaust valve. Every time I read exhaust valve in the header I open it expecting to see a juicy story about valve piston contact it’s just a fucking flap in the pipe that doesn’t even make the engine stop. Boreing. JJH

When I had a 1200GSA it was in for service and the flap was apparently stuck, presumably in the open position. I didn’t notice it and there was no warning on the dash. I guess either they found a fault code on the diagnostics that didn’t come up as an engine management error, or from an external inspection. It was replaced under warranty. The irony was that I’d put some high temp grease (the one recommended on here, came from Belgium or the Netherlands IIRC) in that very area not long before, so it was probably already seized as at the time of checking the flap was open.

I wish people would stop referring to a flap in the exhaust as an exhaust valve. Every time I read exhaust valve in the header I open it expecting to see a juicy story about valve piston contact it’s just a fucking flap in the pipe that doesn’t even make the engine stop. Boreing. JJH

Calm down sugar tits. I’m not a mechanic. The dealer referred to it as an exhaust valve.

Is it possible u left it parked up?
Some young child popped a stone in the exhaust hole.

Reason I say this as when I was about 10 I passed into the fuel tank of a lorry for a laugh 😅🤣

Engine warning light came on, that is enough for diagnostics under warranty.

Engine warning light came on, that is enough for diagnostics under warranty.

Why? Until the cause of the problem is identified how can you say who is liable. If it the motorcycle is at fault BMW pays otherwise the customer pays. In this instance Bmw can't be blamed for the problem, so the bill goes to the cutomer.

Why? Until the cause of the problem is identified how can you say who is liable. If it the motorcycle is at fault BMW pays otherwise the customer pays. In this instance Bmw can't be blamed for the problem, so the bill goes to the cutomer.

For the repair obvs, but not the diagnostic check that’s why you get the fault

Are you hard of thinking?

Back
Top Bottom