I still can’t use BaseCamp properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I still can’t use Basecamp properly, I plan a route and it still redirects me to its own chosen route :D

I’ve tried turning it in to a track, and also converting that track in to a route…..still find it impossible to get it to simply follow where I want it to go.

It’s a decent interface for my music on Spotify though :D

The only logical reason why is down to your preference settings for BaseCamp on your home computer.

When you say “ I plan a route and it still redirects me to its own chosen route”, what do you mean exactly?

is the route when built in basecamp correct as you look at it. does it then alter once you have sent it to the sat nav. a little more detail may help to point you in the right direction

The only logical reason why is down to your preference settings for BaseCamp on your home computer.

When you say “ I plan a route and it still redirects me to its own chosen route”, what do you mean exactly?

It can be a fiddle. As Wapping says, it’s down to your settings for the mode of travel, such as car, motorcycle, etc.

I’ve defaulted now to:
Motorcycle
Route type fast
No avoidances checked.

I then create a start and end waypoint, and then create a route from those. I then add a few way points, carefully to make sure they are on the road I want going in the right way and recalculate. Adding way points means clicking the map where you want to add them, naming for convenience maybe with a number so you can see which order to put them in, then opening the route dialogue and adding them in, in the right order.

If it’s still not what I want, I then drag the route to wherever I want to go.

Finally, I go back into the route and make most of the waypoints “unannounced” which turns them to shaping points.

I then create a track from the route and send both to the Garmin so I can see if I’ve gone of route anywhere.

Also, if I do want to stick firmly to the route, I switch off autorecalculate on the device, and make sure the device has the same maps and settings as Basecamp.

But I’m particular about my routes, and I want to go where I want to go. I have to do the same or similar using MRA or any of the other route planners as they rarely go where I want them to either.

there are a number of good basecamp you tube vids
have a look at this one below, but your basic problem is your not telling it where you want/need to go, you can do that with waypoints or shaping points, once I got the hang of it the process is really simple, the more shaping points the more it will confirm exactly to where you want to go, the software does not inherently know what you want to do, so you have to show it exactly

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OnBQDIJn1GI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I stopped using base camp its too slow.
every time i move the map i end up waiting for it to load again, and yes thats after installing the map to the HDD
planning any route take at least twice as long as any other software

I use "My Route App" now, you do have to pay for it but it works how i expect it too.

I quite like Basecamp, haven't used it in a while though as I'm without a bike! It does have a fairly steep learning curve though, especially if you've come from other software. One thing that threw me at the beginning was the windy roads feature. Turn it off otherwise it'll redirect you're route all over the place. Other than that, all the other posts offer good advice :)

I too have resolved to try to move on from Mapsource to Basecamp. So I watched the video above.

All those “shaping” points seem excessive, an odd method.
To my mapsource-based thinking, on that three passes route inserting four waypoints should have caused the route to be recalculated as required - assuming route settings not set to fastest.
Alternatively create the six waypoints and assemble them in order in “create new route”.
Am I on the wrong track?

there are a number of good basecamp you tube vids
have a look at this one below, but your basic problem is your not telling it where you want/need to go, you can do that with waypoints or shaping points, once I got the hang of it the process is really simple, the more shaping points the more it will confirm exactly to where you want to go, the software does not inherently know what you want to do, so you have to show it exactly

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OnBQDIJn1GI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have used this guy's videos & found them simple & really helpful, totally de - mystify basecamp. Like all software, you just have to keep using it & become familiar. His videos should almost be a 'sticky' in the Basecamp section!

I too have resolved to try to move on from Mapsource to Basecamp. So I watched the video above.

All those “shaping” points seem excessive, an odd method.
To my mapsource-based thinking, on that three passes route inserting four waypoints should have caused the route to be recalculated as required - assuming route settings not set to fastest.
Alternatively create the six waypoints and assemble them in order in “create new route”.
Am I on the wrong track?

It can and should, the point of the shaping points is that if you vary off course then the route transferred to the device will route you back on to where you want to go and follow the planned route not just re do it on the fly.
As I understand it, if you have to make a detour and just use a few waypoints then it will reroute you to the waypoint via the fastest/shortest ect where as with the shaping points it will force it to retroute you back onto the original route and continue on as before

I have used this guy's videos & found them simple & really helpful, totally de - mystify basecamp. Like all software, you just have to keep using it & become familiar. His videos should almost be a 'sticky' in the Basecamp section!

Wapping should add it

How many more do people want?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/538700-Basecamp-Software-useful-info

There are loads of videos telling bods how to create Garmin BaseCamp routes on an home computer, both PC and Mac. A simple Google of just four or five words will turn them up. If people can’t be arsed to look, then it’s easy to guess that they won’t be arsed to watch them and, not least, arsed to try. It’s much easier to sit back and say, “I’ve read, my mate says, that it’s shite”.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/538700-Basecamp-Software-useful-info

There are loads of videos telling bods how to create Garmin BaseCamp routes on an home computer, both PC and Mac. A simple Google of just four or five words will turn them up. If people can’t be arsed to look, then it’s easy to guess that they won’t be arsed to watch them and, not least, arsed to try. It’s much easier to sit back and say, “I’ve read, my mate says, that it’s shite”.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there

Trouble is those negative comments stop people trying.

I decided to test my own assertion.

Basel to Lake Como route. Start and End waypoints to begin with and then add four waypoints to the route around the three passes.
Hey presto! Half the time of that video. No need for checking a dozen or more points are accurately positioned on the road.
Same approach I'd take in Mapsource. I realise it's the file hierarchy in Basecamp I need to get to grips with.

Detours? A re-routing to the next waypoint is acceptable if I choose to wander. Not a concern when I'm creating the routes.

I love Basecamp.

It does everything I want it to do.

It’s really fast and easy.

Every trip is a pleasure.

Can you tell I’ve learned every hard lesson.

Picked up every tip on here.

And learned how to beat Garmin at their own game.

Bring on National Rally in a few weeks and 500+ mile weekend on 2 Routes. Guaranteed Start to Finish with a high degree of accuracy.

ps - I plan a route with sufficient Waypoints using a Google map alongside Basecamp for reference. And sometimes even one of those old paper maps. The kind that Aldi and others sell for £1.99 every year - a year after the cover date. I buy them and tear the pages out for travelling around UK.

is the route when built in basecamp correct as you look at it. does it then alter once you have sent it to the sat nav. a little more detail may help to point you in the right direction

That’s it.

Perfect on the computer, even perfect on the GPS, but (in my last attempt, for example), I set off from the cafe I had as the start of the route, but it didn’t like that I wasn’t on the exact spot so rerouted.

I’d put it in as a track also, so I put that in and followed the pre marked route, but all the time the GPS was trying to send me back to the start of the route.

I’m sure it’s amazing when you finally get it working, but I’ve watched endless videos and tutorials and it still won’t do what I ask of it.

There were even arrows flowing in the right direction, why didn’t it just pick up where I was and calculate the planned route from there?

I’m just about at the end of my tether with it tbh, I very rarely actually use it as a sat nav, it’s just a poi or music player to me.

I decided to test my own assertion.

Basel to Lake Como route. Start and End waypoints to begin with and then add four waypoints to the route around the three passes.
Hey presto! Half the time of that video. No need for checking a dozen or more points are accurately positioned on the road.
Same approach I'd take in Mapsource….

What I suspect you are doing is putting into BaseCamp:

A. Start at Basel

B. Via point 1 on a pass

C. Via point 2 on a pass

D. Via point 3 on a pass

E. Via point 4 on a pass

F. End at Lake Como

And letting BaseCamp chose the roads to take from A to F, via B, C, D and E, all according to your preference settings.

Yes, it really can be that easy. Checking the position of the via points is still a good idea, even so.

That will indeed work, not least as in the mountains there may be only a limited number of roads to take between A and F, via all the letters in between. Now do the same thing between say Calais and Dijon (a distance of say 350 miles) where there are lots of alternative roads to take, anything from minor D or unclassified roads through to motorways. You can plonk in say four or five via points to shape the route and leave BaseCamp to sort out how to join them up (which it will do according to your preference settings) and you may be happy with the end result it spits out. Or you can take some time to shape the route to take only specific roads of your choosing, all the way. That is indeed more laborious but you end up with a route bespoke to you, rather than one selected by BaseCamp’s algorithms.

Both methods have their merits and faults.

That’s it.

Perfect on the computer, even perfect on the GPS, but (in my last attempt, for example), I set off from the cafe I had as the start of the route, but it didn’t like that I wasn’t on the exact spot so rerouted.

I’d put it in as a track also, so I put that in and followed the pre marked route, but all the time the GPS was trying to send me back to the start of the route.

OK, now we know that your problem is not so much with BaseCamp (you can plot a route, evidently) but with your using of your GPS device, I can suggest a simple trick for you to try. About a mile or so from your start point, in the direction / on road you want to take, insert a via point (ie a point you must go through) into your route. Depending on which GPS device you are using, when you fire up your route you may well see a choice of three destinations:

1. Start

2. The via point, a mile or so away from your start point

3. End

Chose number 2.

From wherever you a standing (whether that be Aberdeen or Norwich or Canterbury or Bath, it makes no difference, nor if your via point is in say, Penzance or Birmingham) your device will route you to that point, without fail. From there, the route will run normally, right to the end, without you having to do one more thing. There are other methods but try this simple one first, please.

What device do you use, by the way?

PS The only caveat I would make is that if the via point 2 is behind where you are standing, the device will route you backwards (so that you pass through point 2) and then the device will run you forwards along the route, in the direction you want to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom