R1150gs bogging down.

Wood75

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just signed up to the forum. Can anyone help with a fuelling issue on my 2002 r1150gs.

It’s been running beautifully but I decided to upgrade the cam chain tensioner which required taking the throttle body off. Once done I put it all back as it should have been and now my bike is running rough and bogs down sometimes if I blip the throttle. It revs ok but the tickover is higher than it was at 1200 -1300rpm now.

Since the running issues I’ve cleaned out the idle jets and set them both to 2 turns out, have reset the cables so they have approx 2mm play, haven’t yet synced the bodies due to the bogging down thing.

Could this be a TPS fault? What other components could effect the fuelling like this. I’m hoping to do a 4 day ride around the Brecon Beacons next week so things are getting a little near the knuckle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you removed the tank and replaced it or even lifted the back of it up ???

Check the cable quadrants are hitting the stops!

DO NOT MOVE THE INNER SCREWS!

Check all the cables in their seats even at the splitter box under the Battery tray

Attachments

• 1150 throttle cables.jpg
    1150 throttle cables.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 283
If you removed the tank and replaced it or even lifted the back of it up ???

Check the cable quadrants are hitting the stops!

DO NOT MOVE THE INNER SCREWS!

Check all the cables in their seats even at the splitter box under the Battery tray

Thanks for that. The cables look seated correctly as in your ‘good’ pic. I hadn’t touched the tank but will look further into the cable quadrant situation. Would a faulty TPS cause issues like the ones I’m having? Does seem strange that it was running great before I moved the throttle body. There’s an earth wire(?) on the bottom of the body. Could that affect the running issues?

Can you clarify what the inner screws are as well please? I’m fairly new to the boxer setup...:nenau

Thanks for that. The cables look seated correctly as in your ‘good’ pic. I hadn’t touched the tank but will look further into the cable quadrant situation. Would a faulty TPS cause issues like the ones I’m having? Does seem strange that it was running great before I moved the throttle body. There’s an earth wire(?) on the bottom of the body. Could that affect the running issues?

Yes that earth is the second part of the Idle mixture set up for the ECU

The Inner screws are the throttle stops on the inner sides of the throttle bodies They are factory set

Most likely that one of your cables is hung up keeping a throttle open

But its like trying to nail jelly to a wall to get all the info in one go

IF you slackened the Black box It needs reset search tps reset on here

If you didn't replace the earth wire it needs replaced and it needs a good clean connection

Is the large throttle body/Airtube O ring seated properly ?

Hold the throttle wide open (engine off) and pull the throttle cable casing on the left side, you may have unseated the cable casing at the other end and this should click it back into place. I did this when I did my CCT and found this solution buried deep in the forum.

May work, may not but it's definitely worth checking.

Along with checking the big O-ring is seated properly and not damaged.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The throttle body rubber ring did look a little tired. Would that make a difference?

If the O-ring is buggered it'll be drawing air in and ruining your fuel/air mixture.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Just a quick update. The TPS was knackered. Once that was replaced and the throttle bodies were synchronised, it sounded and felt right again. Thanks for all your help and advice. Looking forward to clocking some miles up in Wales next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom