K1200GT (Brick)

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at a bike at moment.

A K1200GT 2004 (Brick) very nice condition, about 34,000 miles full service history , starts and runs well but haven't had a test ride yet, as it's in for service, and has a problem with rear brake (I didn't ask what it was) and MOT.

Seller has owned it for past 6 years, and kept it in good condition, he wants £2400 private

I wont be doing big annual mileages, but worried about the ABS/servo problems. Any advice on the K1200 would be welcome thanks.

Great Bikes

Bit of extra weather protection and Electric screen, slightly higher bars, is basically differences from an RS

Check under the engine if possible there is a small weep hole where the trans and the bellhousing meet K12 bricks have a habit of leaking at the Crank output seal when left lying for long periods (There is a standard Rubber double lip seal of the correct size Instead of that overpriced BM crap design! )

Water / oil pump seals can give bother as the K100 and K1100 did

Alternator drives can rattle :eek

Basically the same under the skin as this one LINKY

Servo Brake is a doddle, Couple of options Just repipe as normal and refit electronics box to the Loom after sealing it from the elements and mounting it and remove dash bulb

Or get this arrangement https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262895740608

But in reality the option above is a good fix and what I would do and suggest to anyone coming to be to have it done as the Unit doesn;t interfere with Fuel warnings etc as o a CAN Bus bike

Thanks, I'll check out the link and look at areas you suggest.

Great Bikes

Servo Brake is a doddle, Couple of options Just repipe as normal and refit electronics box to the Loom after sealing it from the elements and mounting it and remove dash bulb

Or get this arrangement https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262895740608

But in reality the option above is a good fix and what I would do and suggest to anyone coming to be to have it done as the Unit doesn;t interfere with Fuel warnings etc as o a CAN Bus bike

That' really interesting. I've got a beautiful 2002 K1200RS with only 24,000 miles on the clock and in simply amazing condition. It's fantastic, but too fast for me these days! I've just MOTd it bit it does have an 'intermittent' brake problem due I am sure to the servo pump. I had a long chat with Sid at Motorworks who talked me through the bits needed to replace. He reckons that its really worth upping the rear brake master cylinder with a 13mm dia one too as part of the adaption. But that (with a secondhand reservoir) adds about another £120 to the parts list! What are your thoughts?

Also, is it worth buying Motorworks ECU cover to protect the ECU?

Finally, the Polish emulator looks interesting. Apart from having to post off the electronics panel for reprogramming in Europe (with possible attendant customs issues), is this as simple as it sounds? Looks like a pretty good option.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• K1200RS.JPG
    K1200RS.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 315
That' really interesting. I've got a beautiful 2002 K1200RS with only 24,000 miles on the clock and in simply amazing condition. It's fantastic, but too fast for me these days! I've just MOTd it bit it does have an 'intermittent' brake problem due I am sure to the servo pump. I had a long chat with Sid at Motorworks who talked me through the bits needed to replace. He reckons that its really worth upping the rear brake master cylinder with a 13mm dia one too as part of the adaption. But that (with a secondhand reservoir) adds about another £120 to the parts list! What are your thoughts?

Also, is it worth buying Motorworks ECU cover to protect the ECU?

Finally, the Polish emulator looks interesting. Apart from having to post off the electronics panel for reprogramming in Europe (with possible attendant customs issues), is this as simple as it sounds? Looks like a pretty good option.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is what I did for people I have to rewire one the earlier way for friend as the inside of the ECU burned out Thankfully its not a later bike with the speedo dependent on the ECU outputs

Well I bought a blue/white RS, 2004 no history and has 73,000 on it. £1400, incl panniers. Chap selling it (Essex) was selling for an old chap who has had it for past 8 years but not done more than a few hundred miles a year for past 5 years, just MOT'd it by looks of it. The ABS was removed and HEL pipes on it front and back, fork seals done, new rear brake master cylinder and reservoir. All the fluids have all been changed, new plugs, brake pads almost new, tyres hardly worn and runs and sounds soooo smooth.

I figured a high mileage well looked after RS for £1400 including panniers and top box was worth a punt. He thinks the clutch has been done, but no proof, but clutch action and gear change is the best I've experienced on any BMW new or old. Went out at the weekend, only short 100 mile run to Ullapool, but it was really lovely ride, smooth, pretty quick for big old bus, and comfy.

Downside, the side fairing has been resprayed, badly, looks okay at 10' but up close the white bits look like a rattle can job, blue bits are okay though so may be a slow speed drop ? and needs a new right side mirror as its cracked. Someone has painted the calipers (not sure about that but I've checked them over and they look okay, all have new bleed nipples) and front forks too.

I've ordered new YSS front and rear shocks as it looks like it has original still on. And hopefully it's a good 'un.

Well I bought a blue/white RS, 2004 no history and has 73,000 on it. £1400, incl panniers. Chap selling it (Essex) was selling for an old chap who has had it for past 8 years but not done more than a few hundred miles a year for past 5 years, just MOT'd it by looks of it. The ABS was removed and HEL pipes on it front and back, fork seals done, new rear brake master cylinder and reservoir. All the fluids have all been changed, new plugs, brake pads almost new, tyres hardly worn and runs and sounds soooo smooth.

I figured a high mileage well looked after RS for £1400 including panniers and top box was worth a punt. He thinks the clutch has been done, but no proof, but clutch action and gear change is the best I've experienced on any BMW new or old. Went out at the weekend, only short 100 mile run to Ullapool, but it was really lovely ride, smooth, pretty quick for big old bus, and comfy.

Downside, the side fairing has been resprayed, badly, looks okay at 10' but up close the white bits look like a rattle can job, blue bits are okay though so may be a slow speed drop ? and needs a new right side mirror as its cracked. Someone has painted the calipers (not sure about that but I've checked them over and they look okay, all have new bleed nipples) and front forks too.

I've ordered new YSS front and rear shocks as it looks like it has original still on. And hopefully it's a good 'un.

How's the K1200RS coming on ? Although I had a couple of them back in the late 90s when they were the new thing, they seem quite cheap now - I'm thinking of getting another one !
I'd prefer the later 2000-on fairing design and the slightly raised riding position, but these all come with servo. The Polish device looks good though.

Well I've had a few problems, the front suspension was a pig to do, everything off including petrol tank and front forks, wouldn't want to do it again, rear shock quite easy in comparison.

The tickover increased for some unknown reason upto 1500rpm from 1000 ish. After taking the bike to bits for the front shock it reverted back to 1000 rpm, don't know why ?

Noticed a smell of petrol in garage a few times but couldn't see or find a leak, but found it was the metal (male side) quick release plug that was dripping fuel, not much. It's okay under pressure when ignition is on, but when I switch off it drips, I've tried all sorts to cure it, but now ordered a different connector see if that fixes it.

The ABS has been removed, I looked and it's got that Polish device fitted, so independent brakes front and rear (old style), although the cruise control doesn't work, but I'm not bothered about that. The clutch has been sorted too. But for a 17 year old with 74,000 miles its in pretty good condition, in fact better than my previous R1200RT LC which was a mess under the fairings, just corroding away.

Saying all that, the bike is great, I absolutely love it, forget the weight, this bike planted when it's on the road, it loves long sweeping bends we have up here in the Highlands, and can shift a bit too. I find with seat on high position it's comfy (I'm 6'5" tall) the bars are okay and the pegs on low setting makes the bike pretty comfy. It reminds me of my old VFR800, only faster, though it does like a drink and does about 150 miles before needing topped up. I like the looks, and it's quite good for wind protection too.

So, for a £1200 bike (plus £500 for 2 new shocks) I think it's a good buy, and I don't regret buying it.

Attachments

• 20210927_104909.jpg
    20210927_104909.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 188
The metal plug (in photo) is quite smooth where the rubber fuel line slips on and think thats the problem, so I've ordered a different make that has barbs on, should give better grip on hose.

Thanks BB for a detailed reply.
I'm on the lookout for one now.......funds are short mind !

Back
Top Bottom