Honda consumables and spares.

I was parked on a downward slope facing forwards.....that's what it's for. My fault for riding off and not seeing the (very small) warning light....apparently a lot of owners have done it.
Caliper bolts....yes I now know I don't need to replace them, I use "CruiserMan's Garage", he says that the manual says to replace them but no one does.
Ref. plastic parts, again I have bought CruiserMans videos, they point out all the plastic pin clip locations. Apologies if I have bored you.:rolleyes:

Still struggling with getting tyres?

Slightly - M&P supposed to be sending me a set (Cruisetec) and am bidding on a used tyre on ebay ... to either tide me over or have in reserve . My "suggestion" would be to have a set lined up for when needed - I don't know if it was Covid shutdowns or beached container ships .... but the issue is not likely to be quickly resolved ! (my opinion)

Put it this way....it's Sunday and raining and I'm pissed off i'm not riding it! It's an incredible machine in many, many ways. The engine is silky smooth but with plenty of poke, especially in mad bastard sport mode...I'm sure Honda Racing sneaked in to the labs one night when they were developing the bike and tweaked something there...it is really borderline savage!:eek: The handling is sublime, even without the esa on the B version (non tour). The double wishbone front suspension is a revelation.

The dct transmission is also soooo smooth. It is however, a little noisy, mostly on change down cruising up to lights/junctions etc. I'm going to re initialise the dct tomorrow as I have caught it out once or twice...sometimes on a flat throttle at say 50-60mph, after an overtake, it takes it's time changing up to 6th and 7th. You can bump it up a gear or 2 manually as you know, but a re-initialise won't hurt. Other than that, the dct is very intuitive and it's almost like it "learns" your style of riding (if indeed, I have a style).:rolleyes: The reverse and forward creep facility are a real boon and I use them all the time, reversing into my garage up a slope etc., really really useful with a bike this heavy.:thumb2

I had to buy an aftermarket screen (Givi) as the oem screen fitted to the bagger was giving me buffeting ( I'm 6') even on it's highest setting. (The oem screen on the non tour is 4" shorter than the tour version's) The Givi is a little too tall really (7" taller than oem Bagger one), it fixes the problem but i am on the lookout for another screen that is in between the 2. (Possibly a Puig:nenau)

The lack of spares and accessories in the UK is a bit of a pain, I object on principle to paying tax and duty from the U.S,, but have done already on a few items. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of plastic on them, which coming from HD, takes a little getting used to (but essential for weight saving) and as I said earlier....whose feckin' idea was it to bury the air filter so deep?? A cartridge system accessible from further out from the depths of the bike would have saved an awful lot of plastic panel detachment and time.

I had ordered a Ciro highway peg set up from WingStuff in the States but cancelled them as I find the bike really comfortable as stock (even with my knees!) The seat is also comfy for hours for me which is lucky as Honda and aftermarket comfort seats are eye wateringly expensive.

I have yet to tackle the sat nav and audio systems which seem to divide various owners judging by youtube and forums. I like the idea of apple car play, so that's the next job!

All in all, I love it....How about you?:nenau

I love mine. I think the panniers are far to small but other than that it’s great. I’ve done about 5500 miles now, most of it 2 up and don’t have the DCT problem most people have. Personally I feel it’s down to riders not using the box to the best benefit of the ride . I’ll soon be ready for tyres but find it interesting that they haven’t suffered from ‘white lining’. They are wearing evenly across all the tread.
As for comms, I use an Interphone Avant and find it works well. I think it’s cos it’s a 2 channel unit so you can have it paired to the bike and a pillion.
As for the satnav, I’ve only used it a few times and find it works well.
Is it the perfect bike ? . ....... no.
Is it worth the money ?.........no.
Is it a cracking good bike ? ..... most definitely
As I said, most of my riding is done 2 up ( under the supervision of my better half ). And it’s eminently suitable for that . It’s even ok for a bit of spirited riding. There’s a particular road from Wragby to Bardney which is a nice twisty road and is great on the wing. I admit it’s nor a sports bike but it’s good for an old duffer like me.

For older Hondas, I have found CMS to be fantastic. Not sure how brexit has affected their service and prices though.

I love mine. I think the panniers are far to small but other than that it’s great. I’ve done about 5500 miles now, most of it 2 up and don’t have the DCT problem most people have. Personally I feel it’s down to riders not using the box to the best benefit of the ride . I’ll soon be ready for tyres but find it interesting that they haven’t suffered from ‘white lining’. They are wearing evenly across all the tread.
As for comms, I use an Interphone Avant and find it works well. I think it’s cos it’s a 2 channel unit so you can have it paired to the bike and a pillion.
As for the satnav, I’ve only used it a few times and find it works well.
Is it the perfect bike ? . ....... no.
Is it worth the money ?.........no.
Is it a cracking good bike ? ..... most definitely
As I said, most of my riding is done 2 up ( under the supervision of my better half ). And it’s eminently suitable for that . It’s even ok for a bit of spirited riding. There’s a particular road from Wragby to Bardney which is a nice twisty road and is great on the wing. I admit it’s nor a sports bike but it’s good for an old duffer like me.

How do you mean, DCT problem?

Apparently some people think the box is jerky when changing down. I tend to be more proactive than most riders and do sustained down shifts myself anyway. I also feel the box takes time to tune in to a rider as well.

Apparently some people think the box is jerky when changing down. I tend to be more proactive than most riders and do sustained down shifts myself anyway. I also feel the box takes time to tune in to a rider as well.

Ah right, I'm with you now....I was worried then for a second and then I remembered the 2 year warranty! :D

A purely personal small criticism from me would be how bloody quiet they are! Coming from Vance and Hines pipes on a Harley, I'm just not used to it.

I know a lot of long term Wing owners value the feeling of being wafted along in peace and serenity but I was considering a set of 'Two Brothers Racing' slip ons (I can't justify the price of the volume adjustable Remus system). They aren't obnoxiously loud, they just have a lovely fruity burble!:D

Ah right, I'm with you now....I was worried then for a second and then I remembered the 2 year warranty! :D

A purely personal small criticism from me would be how bloody quiet they are! Coming from Vance and Hines pipes on a Harley, I'm just not used to it.

I know a lot of long term Wing owners value the feeling of being wafted along in peace and serenity but I was considering a set of 'Two Brothers Racing' slip ons (I can't justify the price of the volume adjustable Remus system). They aren't obnoxiously loud, they just have a lovely fruity burble!:D

I think it’s a 3 year warranty actually.

Slightly - M&P supposed to be sending me a set (Cruisetec) and am bidding on a used tyre on ebay ... to either tide me over or have in reserve . My "suggestion" would be to have a set lined up for when needed - I don't know if it was Covid shutdowns or beached container ships .... but the issue is not likely to be quickly resolved ! (my opinion)

Ref. the tyres, I ordered a set from Oponeo who the emailed me a day or 2 later saying they couldn't supply and refunded the payment:blast So did a little more research and ordered a set of the Bridgestones from Sportsbikeshop who were slightly dearer but at least they had them in stock. They were delivered a day or so later...result.

Update on tyres.

I’ve just had the tyres replaced. It had 5760 miles on it so I think it was about time to change them. Could probably have done another 500 or 1000 on them but the dealer had a pair of Bridgestone in so I grabbed them. The cost was £373 fitted to the bike, a bit salty, but it’s not a 2 minute job on a wing so that’s understandable. The previous tyres where Dunlop but the Bridgestones seem just as good.

Back
Top Bottom