Potential new owner

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Right, I'm seriously considering a 2018 Road King, never owned a Harley, had a few test rides over the years when considering a change in the past, so size/shape I'm OK with, but, after 15-ish years as a BMW owner, pretty much everything else will be new to me.

The bike will come with 12 months HD warranty so there is the peace of mind initially, but what about looking after the thing, how do you protect the chrome, I've always smothered my BMW's in ACF50 all year round, is there an alternative for the chrome and engine covers on a Harley?

What else should I be looking out for, any negatives (with the bike) :)?

Thanks.

Right, I'm seriously considering a 2018 Road King, never owned a Harley, had a few test rides over the years when considering a change in the past, so size/shape I'm OK with, but, after 15-ish years as a BMW owner, pretty much everything else will be new to me.

The bike will come with 12 months HD warranty so there is the peace of mind initially, but what about looking after the thing, how do you protect the chrome, I've always smothered my BMW's in ACF50 all year round, is there an alternative for the chrome and engine covers on a Harley?

What else should I be looking out for, any negatives (with the bike) :)?

Thanks.

Congrats! I presume it's a standard Road King then if it's chromed up? I just clean it and dry it after riding in the wet, and wipe down with a ACF or WD soaked cloth if not riding much over the winter. TBH, HD chrome is pretty resilient, as is their paint, but pay attention to the fork lowers which can pit and tarnish over time due to salt and chippings etc. :thumb2

Get a long test ride…..

They are not for everybody……

If you do fall foul of the 6 month rule - then you will get most of your money back…. ( unless you go farkle crazy…..I suggest you wait till you know it’s for you, then modify to suit)

Thanks, yes, it's a standard Road King. Didn't think I'd like the chrome, but in the flesh I actually prefer it over the all blacked out look. Definitely like the cast wheels over spoked and the addition of cruise control will be new to me.

Get a long test ride…..

They are not for everybody……

If you do fall foul of the 6 month rule - then you will get most of your money back…. ( unless you go farkle crazy…..I suggest you wait till you know it’s for you, then modify to suit)

I will. Going to work out a long route that'll put me down all road types, booked the test ride for Thursday but will try and get in sooner if work commitments allow. Ideally I'm going to need a few hours with the bike and if the dealer won't do it then I've lost nothing and will walk away.

They are best on sweeping A Roads…. It’s no GS …. So gnarled roads will show up how heavy it is….

Had mine RK since 2009 and still love it - it does everything it was designed to well so have sensible expectations of it and enjoy the ride. Chrome and paint is fine (check out older HD's - theres not many shite bikes due to age) and the only thing i changed as mine is an older bike is the front discs to free floating for better breaking. Your 2018 will be far better anyway!

Agree with Big Si on the cleaning/protect if its an all year bike but otherwise i just use Pledge to polish every surface in between as well as use on the GS.

Enjoy the test ride

Appreciate the input, I'm in that excited - nervous phase ahead of the test ride so will need to sit in a corner and have a bloody word with myself beforehand! :D

Appreciate the input, I'm in that excited - nervous phase ahead of the test ride so will need to sit in a corner and have a bloody word with myself beforehand! :D

HD dealers are normally very good about test rides, and positively encourage it.

They’re fine .
Suspension is a bit shite ( especially on the RKS with its shorter shock ).
I was surprised how well it coped with mountain hairpins last summer.

They’re fine .
Suspension is a bit shite ( especially on the RKS with its shorter shock ).
I was surprised how well it coped with mountain hairpins last summer.

I'm expecting it to feel like being slapped in the arse with a piece of 2x4 in comparison to the GS, I may ask to take the RKS demo out for a quick ride first so I've something to compare it too.

I'm expecting it to feel like being slapped in the arse with a piece of 2x4 in comparison to the GS, I may ask to take the RKS demo out for a quick ride first so I've something to compare it too.

The 12” shocks on the RKS are shite .
In saying that , I had more jolts in 200 miles riding in U.K. than 2000 miles in France .
If I lived/road in U.K. I’d probably change them but it’s fine for 90% of my riding

This just about sums up Harley ownership, not sure I agree ref the chrome but the rest is pretty accurate.
a7aff3a357cef9cf4cd8145b695815f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12” shocks on the RKS are shite .
In saying that , I had more jolts in 200 miles riding in U.K. than 2000 miles in France .
If I lived/road in U.K. I’d probably change them but it’s fine for 90% of my riding

You def would.

Heard the demo bikes are set up different so you think hey this is great ..then you sign on the dotted or buy and find your new bike handles like shit but you can upgrade for x amount to get to where the demo bike's handling

I will. Going to work out a long route that'll put me down all road types, booked the test ride for Thursday but will try and get in sooner if work commitments allow. Ideally I'm going to need a few hours with the bike and if the dealer won't do it then I've lost nothing and will walk away.

Which dealer have you got the test ride with?

I bought mine from Oxford, but have also had dealings with the guys at Reading. Both offered the chance to do a long test ride.

Heard the demo bikes are set up different so you think hey this is great ..then you sign on the dotted or buy and find your new bike handles like shit but you can upgrade for x amount to get to where the demo bike's handling

Easy to check, just undo the panniers and see what is fitted.

So you’re saying that demo bikes come with after market shocks to fool the test rider into a falsely positive impression of the test bike ?

If it’s an unmolested standard RK it will probably be pretty good for whatever you want to use it for as it is.

Just don’t join the lemmings that feel pressured into the rush of bolting on unnecessary “lifestyle” tat to make the bike look more badass. :blast

:thumb2

So you’re saying that demo bikes come with after market shocks to fool the test rider into a falsely positive impression of the test bike ?

Well manufacturers give the test journalists from the various bike press tweaked bikes..and Im not saying ..I said I'd heard ......anyhoo dinnae give a fek ...

Back
Top Bottom