Exhaust flap

When you say illegal, are you saying that the government have passed a law saying that you cannot touch anything on your bike? I find that amazing and assume that all the aftermarket parts suppliers are up in arms. Will there be demonstrations in London?
I suspect that this is just fake news spread on the internet and that the police will not turn up at your house if you touch anything on your bike.

Not going to stand up and say this is correct as anyone can do their own research. But I did read that it is now illegal to touch anything that impacts the emissions, so cat, the flap as this is noise emissions, but you can fit different end cans etc or headers if they conform to the EU5 standard. But I can't back this up and I can't be bothered to research it, so it may be fake news. Personally once my bike is out of warranty if the flap sticks I will use a servo buddy and get the light switched off with a GS911. Currently bikes are not subject to MOT emissions testing, but that can't be far away.

Not going to stand up and say this is correct as anyone can do their own research. But I did read that it is now illegal to touch anything that impacts the emissions, so cat, the flap as this is noise emissions, but you can fit different end cans etc or headers if they conform to the EU5 standard. But I can't back this up and I can't be bothered to research it, so it may be fake news. Personally once my bike is out of warranty if the flap sticks I will use a servo buddy and get the light switched off with a GS911. Currently bikes are not subject to MOT emissions testing, but that can't be far away.

I think that you mean Euro5 rather than EU5. Euro5 is a standard that manufacturers must achieve to be able to sell sell bikes in the EU and the UK. There is no onus on the individual owner as he does not sell new bikes within the EU.
If something is illegal then there must be a law that says so. If it is illegal under criminal law then expect the police to come knocking if you have messed with something. If it is illegal under Civil law then the police will not get involved and it is down to individuals to take a case to court, for example your neighbour might do this if he didn't like your modification and he had lots of money.
You probably read it on the internet and then repeated it here, the fake news is now growing because someone else will have read that twice.

I think that you mean Euro5 rather than EU5. Euro5 is a standard that manufacturers must achieve to be able to sell sell bikes in the EU and the UK. There is no onus on the individual owner as he does not sell new bikes within the EU.
If something is illegal then there must be a law that says so. If it is illegal under criminal law then expect the police to come knocking if you have messed with something. If it is illegal under Civil law then the police will not get involved and it is down to individuals to take a case to court, for example your neighbour might do this if he didn't like your modification and he had lots of money.
You probably read it on the internet and then repeated it here, the fake news is now growing because someone else will have read that twice.

Just tried to find something, all I could find was the UK Govt site states it is illegal to mess with anything that impacts emissions on cars, vans and busses, but it doesn't mention motorcycles, so someone may have taken that as meaning bikes as well. This is a forum where people comment, there is no gold standard that says everything is researched, I am not writing a dissertation. So like I said people need to do their own research and back up any comments before acting on it. Also if you want to understand what "Fake News" really is, try the "into the Grey Zone" podcast or Sky are running the series, its very good. Posting on a motorcycle forum doesn't really cut it.

Just tried to find something, all I could find was the UK Govt site states it is illegal to mess with anything that impacts emissions on cars, vans and busses, but it doesn't mention motorcycles, so someone may have taken that as meaning bikes as well. This is a forum where people comment, there is no gold standard that says everything is researched, I am not writing a dissertation. So like I said people need to do their own research and back up any comments before acting on it. Also if you want to understand what "Fake News" really is, try the "into the Grey Zone" podcast or Sky are running the series, its very good. Posting on a motorcycle forum doesn't really cut it.

Not getting at you, just the statement that you made. "It is now illegal to touch anything on your bike to do with emissions," implies that you are stating a fact. Others might believe that fact when it is just internet claptrap.

Where on the TFT is the software version displayed ?
Go into 'Settings' on TFT (the gear wheel symbol),
then go into 'Information' (4th line down),
then go into software version,
your current software version will then be displayed.
Whenever I take my bike for a service I always say I'm having Bluetooth connection issues and they then update software to the latest version whilst doing the service free of charge. All your
'Connections' will be lost however so your phone, headset, etc will need re-pairing. New software versions can alter displays and other things on the TFT as explained in this YouTube video by Nick Hodge on TFT Connectivity Issues (if you are unfortunate enough to be using an I phone).
41d8e651d679e4cd9c49f65edb35536e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Not getting at you, just the statement that you made. "It is now illegal to touch anything on your bike to do with emissions," implies that you are stating a fact. Others might believe that fact when it is just internet claptrap.

Ok understood, in future I will defiantly double check everything I read and not post anything unless it is correctly referenced and checked as not being fake news. I would hate to fuel internet clap trap. i wouldn't sleep at night if I thought anyone would take one statement I made on an internet forum as absolutely the case and then end up ripping off all their accessories off their stead. Just for the fake news record, the statement I made was from a reputable motorcycle publication, but I can't find it now, but again, I mistakenly took their word for it and didn't launch into a research project to verify. I will be more careful in the future of course and only believe Govt sites or academically referenced works. :)

Back
Top Bottom