Extended warranty

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My bike will be 3 years old in October & the BMW warranty runs out, do I need to extend it then or can I do it from March / April next year ?

As I have no intention of using it over the winter months it seems foolish paying for something I won't / don/t need. :thumb

Anyone had good or bad reports on the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty ? :rolleyes:

there are plenty of good and bad reports.

Three factors that influence the outcome

1. owners attitude
2. dealer
3. the actual fault.

If you claim on it, it was well worth the money. If you don't claim on it, well, what a complete waste and rip off.

You don't have to take it out concurrently with your manufacturers warranty. When you do, you can also pay monthly and stop if you garage bike again over winter. Can come with or without Rescue as well. But everything is not covered, the exhaust and the flap are not covered.

Should you pay annually, refunds on unused portions are returned on a monthly pro-rata, and without an admin fee.

Depends on mileage also to what is covered. ESA I believe is not covered after 30k.

A mate took the warrentee out and as luck had it 6 months later the engine blew at 18k , it was fitted with a new engine , ecu , wiring and the total bill was from memory around 8 k , the bike was only worth 9 k so in this case it was worth the small monthly debit.

Warranty

That is worry an engine blowing up at 18k miles. To make a sound judgement you would need to know maintenance regime, how it was ridden, materials and oil for service change and top up, what were wrong before the blow up and how it was fixed. I accept most bikes go considerably further than 18k miles without problems. Would have been interesting to know if BMW would have responded with a goodwill gesture if the bike did not have a warranty.

That is worry an engine blowing up at 18k miles. To make a sound judgement you would need to know maintenance regime, how it was ridden, materials and oil for service change and top up, what were wrong before the blow up and how it was fixed. I accept most bikes go considerably further than 18k miles without problems. Would have been interesting to know if BMW would have responded with a goodwill gesture if the bike did not have a warranty.

Full service history , maintained as per the book , ridden hard . Correct oils , serviced on time , it was a snapped cam chain at 100 mph that did the damage . New engine .
Mine , 4K cam chain gear sheared off the cam and put said bits into the motor , lucky as was doing 90 ish at the time round a corner , almost took me out , again serviced by the book .New bike .

Got a shock on Monday when I initually contacted them about my bike which I nursed down through Germany on Friday and Saturday to Austria with what turns out to be a defective right side tps and needs a new throttle body €1200 and a seven day wait for parts.
Spent over £30 to eventually sort out registering the problem with BMW European assistance, but had it been on Saturday or Sunday I would have got zero assistance.
Reason being I pay monthly direct debit and it went out of my bank on Saturday and because it was not shown in the BMW Warranty coffers until Monday afternoon as far as they were concerned I was not covered and would have been left without recovery at theside of the road .

Took over 90 minutes on the phone just to sort out that I was covered, luckily being paranoid I have European recovery via my bike insurance but it is hardly the point when paying over £43 per month for the bmw warranty

Always thought full European cover on the Insured warranty was the same as bmw new and bmw approved used warranty it is not I have to stump up for repairs and claim them back via main dealer in the UK .
They will arrange a hire car ,which has to be returned to place of collection, repatriate the bike and ourselves if it is going to take too long or pay for extra accomodation but how the hell do you fly home with full bike gear and no proper luggage

So far this 1200 which is "a good un" compared with the last gsa lc has already had a £1000 plus clutch pack, the last one had £8000 plus of warranty issues in 34 months and my 17 plate f800gsa at under 3 years of age and 11,000 miles and covered by approved used warranty needed a new engine at a cost of £6500.

Once home I think both bmw's may be going and a new orange coloured motorcycle replacing them

Well Monday was obviously a translation failure, turns out bike was showing both a right hand throttle body and a left hand switch unit issue when scanned, they tried a good used throttle body on the bike and the fault was still present, when they said the parts were special order as they are coded to the bike they meant the engine ecu.
Recently they have had two bikes of the same age with exactly the same issue and fault codes and BMW diagnosed them as fritzed ecu's. The proviso from BMW is that if this does not give a permanent cure then it is new wiring loom time

Touch wood the bike seems okay and I only have praise for the dealership Kaufmann In Kaprun for the speed with which they dealt with the issue, would your local dealer have done the same ?

Also the bill was €100 less than the original quote, so we can afford to eat tonight

A mate took the warrentee out and as luck had it 6 months later the engine blew at 18k , it was fitted with a new engine , ecu , wiring and the total bill was from memory around 8 k , the bike was only worth 9 k so in this case it was worth the small monthly debit.

Trouble with a post like this is that it is a mate of someone who posted on the internet so no one else has the full story or even knows how true it is. It is a scare mongering tale about one person (perhaps) and to balance it out you could also say that 10,000 people have taken out the extended warranty and never had any problems. In my view it is similar to saying that my grandad lived to 96 and smoked all of his life so smoking cannot be harmful.

Trouble with a post like this is that it is a mate of someone who posted on the internet so no one else has the full story or even knows how true it is. It is a scare mongering tale about one person (perhaps) and to balance it out you could also say that 10,000 people have taken out the extended warranty and never had any problems. In my view it is similar to saying that my grandad lived to 96 and smoked all of his life so smoking cannot be harmful.

Not scaremongrring my 2014 gsa had an extended 12 month warranty due to issues, 34 months old and less than 13,000 miles it needed two more esa shocks and switchgear ,over £3600 in total
My 2018 model gsa had 2 years manufacturers warranty and I took out extended warranty ,at 35 months and 12,000 miles it cost over £1200to rectify the issues with a defective clutchpack and now 11 months and 1600 miles later a new ecu €1150.

My 2017 model f800gsa bought from a main dealer with 10500 miles in January 2020 with a fsh needed a new complete motor due to severe issues which were not picked up by the dealer , try an approved used warranty bill of over £6500.

No real issues with my r1150gs I owned for 9 years or the 2011 r1200gsa I had from new for 4 years.

Would I own a new BMW without a warranty NOT A F#CKING CHANCE !

Not scaremongrring my 2014 gsa had an extended 12 month warranty due to issues, 34 months old and less than 13,000 miles it needed two more esa shocks and switchgear ,over £3600 in total
My 2018 model gsa had 2 years manufacturers warranty and I took out extended warranty ,at 35 months and 12,000 miles it cost over £1200to rectify the issues with a defective clutchpack and now 11 months and 1600 miles later a new ecu €1150.

My 2017 model f800gsa bought from a main dealer with 10500 miles in January 2020 with a fsh needed a new complete motor due to severe issues which were not picked up by the dealer , try an approved used warranty bill of over £6500.

No real issues with my r1150gs I owned for 9 years or the 2011 r1200gsa I had from new for 4 years.

Would I own a new BMW without a warranty NOT A F#CKING CHANCE !

And the other side of the coin is:
I bought a brand new R75/7 at the age if 18 in 1977. Had new BMWs ever since. The last two being a new R1250RS in October last year and a new S1000XR in April this year. Never had a warranty issue. Cover about 12,000 kms a year. I must have saved a fortune on the bikes that I kept past the BMW standard warranty, by not buying extended warrantys. If your experience was normal then insurance companies would be going bust all over the place. Could it be that I don't abuse my bikes?

And nor do I ,they are never thrashed ,fully serviced and kept in immaculate condition so go figure it out. My last gsa the 2014 model a beta test model had over £9000 of warranty work in total and at one stage was being run around by the dealer fitted with a telemetric data recorder fitted sending data back to the factory.
When part exed I was informed (much later ) that it went back to Germany and was dissected to find out why it's esa ,gsap etc never worked correctly

Ps I still own a Suzuki that I bought in 1984 that is still immaculate and running absolutely fine

I looked into the extended warranty, it excludes more than it covers, so I decided to give it a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proving to be even harder cancelling the bmw insured warranty policy than getting them to answer the phone when you break down.

Today have been on the phone for over 30 minutes , you ring get a recorded message wait for 5 or 10 minutes on hold then some cnut answers the phone and immediately hangs up .

Have sent them an e mail cancelling the policy and demanding a prompt answer , see if that works

Proving to be even harder cancelling the bmw insured warranty policy than getting them to answer the phone when you break down.

Today have been on the phone for over 30 minutes , you ring get a recorded message wait for 5 or 10 minutes on hold then some cnut answers the phone and immediately hangs up .

Have sent them an e mail cancelling the policy and demanding a prompt answer , see if that works

Might be an aberration. Had no trouble cancelling mine late last year, and as I recall you get the full pro rata - no admin charge.

I just waited 10 mins being told my call was important, and that was for a new policy, not important enough to pick up the phone though.

Are there any other mechanical insurance organisations that the collective have used?

I did try to log in on the letter information they sent, but computer said no, as it the old warranty expired last night.

Get me the manager!

Back
Top Bottom