R1250RT

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Any of you lads got the 2021 model ? Thoughts on the bike for luggage space and pillion comfort which is very important.
Currently using a K1600B & GS1250A.

Cheers Doc

Morning Doc,

I have a 06/19 model, the predecssor to the latest model, it is identical in everything to the current model except different headlights, the TFT tablet thing (which has a number of issues) and some options like intelligent cruise control, performance, ride, ect is identical to mine,

I have had a number of earlier RT's and still have a R1100RT as well, For me the 1250 is a great bike, and if you opt for the 2019/20 model you will save yourself lots of dosh for the virtually the same bike, theres lots of low millage tradins in dealers at the moment as people "upgrade" to new one and then find problems

Best advice is go off and get a decent test ride on one, (Half a day) hopefully when Jaynes better get her approval on the back as well

Mark

Plenty of luggage space!

Loading with a handy trolley by Mark Handley, on Flickr

I have a 2019 1250RT, the luggage is exactly the same as the K1600. Space wise, there is a bit more room for the pillion on the K1600GLT for mounting, but once on, there wasn't enough extra space to bother my wife. But it really depends on the size of the pillion I guess. My wife is small and a size 10. I have a K1600GTL at the moment as my RT is in the dealers, went to Cornwall on it a couple of weeks ago, loved the engine, effortless touring, but I can't get over the difference in weight, I was always crapping myself that I was going to drop it :) The RT for me is certainly easier to handle at lower speeds and obviously it doesn't feel as heavy.

Lots of threads of issues with the TFT and the BMW connected App and the navigation losing connection. BMW have apparently said there will be a software update by the end of September. Plus if anyone pinches the TFT, it will be expensive to replace.

I ride the 2020 RT, having changed from a 1250GSA, there were problems with the TFT on the GSA, not that was any part of the reason to change. I feel I dodged a bullet by getting the last of the pre TFTs. I’m sure by the time I feel like changing the RT the current TFT issues will be resolved. As someone else suggested you can probably pick up a high spec low mileage pre TFT and save yourself some money.

Thanks lads. It will be the girlfriends bike so i will let her choose if she decides if she wants one. They do look the business though.
I will be just the chief pilot.

I've 4000 miles on a white TFT model since mid March.

To answer your questions.........
Luggage space: I've only panniers and they don't seem any smaller than any of the other BMW panniers I've had so I'd have to say carrying capacity is good.

Pillion comfort: Reported as being very good - she volunteered that opinion yesterday. I've a backrest fitted with a 15l Givi bag behind that, it's the sort of bag which is meant for the top of Trekker Outback panniers. I think it looks ok [ish], and miles better than any topbox plus the backrest adds massively pillion comfort/posture.

The navigation function displayed via the TFT screen from the Connected app is now perfect. There were issues with the previous Connected version crashing but these have been resolved with version 3.1.3. - in my case at least [iPhone 11]. It's now rock solid with respect to navigation which is all I'll ever use the app for.
Ease of use and route planning via an iPad couldn't be easier. Clear, precise and quick, it's a brilliant navigation system which should have Garmin filling their Pampers with fear.

The standout points of the bike are imo;
Engine, brakes and TFT are exceptional and I've got to admit to finding the hill hold very useful.

Downers would be:
On certain suspension settings [road], the handling can be vague to the point of me wondering wtf. Dynamic is way better. Both road & dynamic are improved by adding a pillion with road improving very considerably.

Compartment for phone is too small for larger cell phones and is why I have a new iPhone 11, though I would add it works just as well in a jacket pocket.

I didn't get a blue one.

Luggage space: I've only panniers and they don't seem any smaller than any of the other BMW panniers I've had so I'd have to say carrying capacity is good.

Pillion comfort: Reported as being very good - she volunteered that opinion yesterday. I've a backrest fitted with a 15l Givi bag behind that, it's the sort of bag which is meant for the top of Trekker Outback panniers. I think it looks ok [ish], and miles better than any topbox plus the backrest adds massively pillion comfort/posture.

The navigation function displayed via the TFT screen from the Connected app is now perfect. There were issues with the previous Connected version crashing but these have been resolved with version 3.1.3. - in my case at least [iPhone 11]. It's now rock solid with respect to navigation which is all I'll ever use the app for.
Ease of use and route planning via an iPad couldn't be easier. Clear, precise and quick, it's a brilliant navigation system which should have Garmin filling their Pampers with fear.

Engine, brakes and TFT are exceptional and I've got to admit to finding the hill hold very useful.

Downers would be:
On certain suspension settings [road], the handling can be vague to the point of me wondering wtf. Dynamic is way better. Both road & dynamic are improved by adding a pillion with road improving very considerably.

Compartment for phone is too small for larger cell phones and is why I have a new iPhone 11, though I would add it works just as well in a jacket pocket.

I didn't get a blue one.

Thanks. Is the backrest an aftermarket item.

Thanks. Is the backrest an aftermarket item.

Givi TB82 Kimco backrest bolts to Givi SRA5113. Works great.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Downers would be:

I didn't get a blue one.

You must be one of the only ones that thinks the TFT is perfect. There are still pages of complaints on RT forums of lost connection etc. One chap has even been in discussion with BMW developers via emailing the chief exec. The chief exec has promised a software update by the end of September. Maybe they are doing something different to you

I did a couple of hundred miles on our new 1250 RT Blood Bike yesterday and was well impressed. For a heavy bike it felt very nimble and didn't
require hustling into the corners. Goes without saying the engine and brakes were excellent, engine was a tad noisy though and, the gearbox rattled
at idle; noise disappeared when the clutch was pulled. Even though i'm quite a short guy at 5'7" i found the riding position cramped and i got
uncomfortable after a while which i was surprised at. The side loading panniers seemed to be roomy enough and i was impressed with the central
locking feature.I have only ever done a few miles on any of the LC engined bikes (i did 45 on a demonstrator 1250 GSA) so this was my first big taste
of anything post twin cam and it felt quite different which, is not surprising. I will say, the biggest difference is when you give it some beans it takes
off like it's been shot from a cannon, quite a bit quicker than my TC but, no surprise there i suppose. I even managed to sort the menus out and do
some adjustments one of which was, and i notice it's already been mentioned, i set the suspension to "dynamic" as in "road", it felt too soft.

As regards the pillion, i have done about 30 miles on the back of one of these and with the backrest it had, was a very comfortable experience.

A gratuitous piccy of MaggyC our newest addition, done over 3000 miles in three weeks so should be settling in nicely.

Attachments

• RT BB.jpg
    RT BB.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 1,665
You must be one of the only ones that thinks the TFT is perfect. There are still pages of complaints on RT forums of lost connection etc. One chap has even been in discussion with BMW developers via emailing the chief exec. The chief exec has promised a software update by the end of September. Maybe they are doing something different to you

May be they are:nenau I can only call it as I find it and that's to say that now, after a shaky start, I have no issues with lost connections. Today I did 3hrs with not one lost connection.

Keep in mind I am only using the connected app for navigation, it matters not that I can't see album artwork, answer the phone or listen to music. There appears to be major issues with these particular app functions, I don't doubt there are, these people aren't lying in the same way as I'm not lying when I say that for my navigation needs this app functions perfectly.

Are you using ver 3.1.3 of Connected? The performance of the app was slowly improving for me as I learnt to use it until [somehow], the app version updated to 3.1.3, after that it's been spot on.

May be they are:nenau I can only call it as I find it and that's to say that now, after a shaky start, I have no issues with lost connections. Today I did 3hrs with not one lost connection.

Keep in mind I am only using the connected app for navigation, it matters not that I can't see album artwork, answer the phone or listen to music. There appears to be major issues with these particular app functions, I don't doubt there are, these people aren't lying in the same way as I'm not lying when I say that for my navigation needs this app functions perfectly.

Are you using ver 3.1.3 of Connected? The performance of the app was slowly improving for me as I learnt to use it until [somehow], the app version updated to 3.1.3, after that it's been spot on.

Not me, I'm on the TFT less 1250. I was just pointing out the threads on RT specific forums. Plus a mate has one and was talking yesterday about it keeps losing connection and he just ends up with the arrows rather than the map. Well in fact I'm not on the TFT less 1250 as my bike has been in the dealers since the 14th May with an SOS button fault, which nobody can fix.

I only use the connected app for navigation, with an iPhone SE (2nd gen) dedicated to the bike. I don't listen to music or make phone calls via the bike phone. I have app version 3.1.3 and latest software on the TFT. The navigation works well until I stop the bike - e.g. for petrol. On re-starting after a stop, although everything shows on the dash as being connected, there are no longer any voice directions. To get them back I have to stop, take the phone out of the charging cubby, switch off Bluetooth and then switch it back on again. Only then, after everything has re-connected once more, will voice directions return. I'm by no means the only one with this problem.

The "turn by turn" arrows system (without voice) works well, once you realise that ALL roundabouts show as "straight across" - it's only the number next to the exit arrow which changes.

The Boss has made her decision.

She has chosen this one with Top box and akra tail pipe and a few other goodies.

Attachments

• 2021-BMW-R-1250-RT-First-look-sport-touring-motorcycle-12 (2).jpg
    2021-BMW-R-1250-RT-First-look-sport-touring-motorcycle-12 (2).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,581
I have a 2019 1250RT, the luggage is exactly the same as the K1600. Space wise, there is a bit more room for the pillion on the K1600GLT for mounting, but once on, there wasn't enough extra space to bother my wife. But it really depends on the size of the pillion I guess. My wife is small and a size 10. I have a K1600GTL at the moment as my RT is in the dealers, went to Cornwall on it a couple of weeks ago, loved the engine, effortless touring, but I can't get over the difference in weight, I was always crapping myself that I was going to drop it :) The RT for me is certainly easier to handle at lower speeds and obviously it doesn't feel as heavy.

Lots of threads of issues with the TFT and the BMW connected App and the navigation losing connection. BMW have apparently said there will be a software update by the end of September. Plus if anyone pinches the TFT, it will be expensive to replace.

Why is in the dealers, for a few weeks ??

Hi,
Any of you lads got the 2021 model ? Thoughts on the bike for luggage space and pillion comfort which is very important.
Currently using a K1600B & GS1250A.

Cheers Doc

Have you thought about a Goldwing.

Why is in the dealers, for a few weeks ??

Now there is a story. Went in on the 14th of May with a SOS warning on the dash. Software update required. Software update completed same day, no fix. Contact BMW UK, no idea, Contact BMW Germany, not us, its owned by Traffic Master. Then no update from BMW Germany or Traffic Master for the last 5 weeks. Three calls to BMW customer service, sorry can't help, its technical!!. Last call to BMW customer services yesterday morning, basically told them they were BMW not much customer service. Then I phoned the dealer this afternoon, he said there has been a flurry of activity since yesterday morning from Germany and my bike is fixed - software fault!!! So nearly 6 weeks to fix a software fault. I will be speaking to BMW not much customer service when I've picked the bike up, to give them my views on 6 weeks to sort for a software fault :)

Now there is a story. Went in on the 14th of May with a SOS warning on the dash. Software update required. Software update completed same day, no fix. Contact BMW UK, no idea, Contact BMW Germany, not us, its owned by Traffic Master. Then no update from BMW Germany or Traffic Master for the last 5 weeks. Three calls to BMW customer service, sorry can't help, its technical!!. Last call to BMW customer services yesterday morning, basically told them they were BMW not much customer service. Then I phoned the dealer this afternoon, he said there has been a flurry of activity since yesterday morning from Germany and my bike is fixed - software fault!!! So nearly 6 weeks to fix a software fault. I will be speaking to BMW not much customer service when I've picked the bike up, to give them my views on 6 weeks to sort for a software fault :)

BMW just seem to get worse as time goes by. Perhaps they should concentrate on quality. Not bringing out new gimmicks.

Back
Top Bottom