A year off the bike

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
and a mind that has been fucked by fucking Covid lockdown. So I'm working at it. Things that flowed and didn't need much brain processing power is now something I have to think about.

The ability to judge an overtake is definitely not what it was. Planning for a junction has not been natural with all the things being rushed. Some silly mistakes in traffic and not looking far ahead to start anticipating and planning. Brain doesn't want to compute all the possibilities etc. Body has gone flabby and the posture is lacking followed by numb bum for not riding enough.

If I thought that it is like riding a bicycle I'm wrong. It is gonna take more miles than ever to get up to scratch. At least I know something. That is where I'm now and where I need to be. Might as well spend all the money on tyres and petrol.

Post lockdown riding is definitely a challenge.

and a mind that has been fucked by fucking Covid lockdown. So I'm working at it. Things that flowed and didn't need much brain processing power is now something I have to think about.

The ability to judge an overtake is definitely not what it was. Planning for a junction has not been natural with all the things being rushed. Some silly mistakes in traffic and not looking far ahead to start anticipating and planning. Brain doesn't want to compute all the possibilities etc. Body has gone flabby and the posture is lacking followed by numb bum for not riding enough.

If I thought that it is like riding a bicycle I'm wrong. It is gonna take more miles than ever to get up to scratch. At least I know something. That is where I'm now and where I need to be. Might as well spend all the money on tyres and petrol.

Post lockdown riding is definitely a challenge.

It'll all come back! You are just out of calibration. Before lockdown your judgement of brain / right hand was nicely synched. So for example, if you came up behind a slower moving car, you'd roll off the gas and time your arrival behind it perfectly. Now, you're probably having a dab of brake behind the car because that judgement isn't there. Its stuff like that.
My top tip would be to go out on your own for a few rides and not with others. Dial yourself back in before you go hooning with yer mates!! :thumb

That is what I do. I'm riding it on my own. It is like starting from scratch. A good time to not get into bad habits :D

I'm sure you have, but to give yourself one less thing to think about, make sure the bike is in tip top condition. There'll be a few muppets out there that'll jump on their bike and will not have checked their tyre pressures after 9 months off!!

The bike has had a comprehensive commissioning before the good weather started.

Thanks.

To me a big positive here is that you recognise it; not all do.

You can now start to focus on and work on the issues.

Could do some self help, like reading iam book or roadcraft, or book on something like Bike safe for a refresh, currently £65 for a day.

That is what I do. I'm riding it on my own. It is like starting from scratch. A good time to not get into bad habits :D

I'm right there with you Josef ... take it easy, take it steady :thumb

:beerjug:

Small steps. Been out regularly and dividing my time between working on the house and riding the bike when not at work. Yesterday a jaunt to the Chilterns was the first time that something started to click. The stuff that went on in my mind in the background was pushed aside and I concentrated on what I was doing. The mini day dreams on the bike stopped and I had a far more pleasant ride just sticking to the speed limit or a few mph over it as situation and conditions warranted. All unknown roads to me.

Today was a short ride to order something from the dealer, riding a road I can probably do blindfolded. Once again just concentrating and it starts to fall into place. Planning is much better approaching junctions and the patience to wait for an overtake opportunity is better. Caught myself drifting off and missed a section of road I cannot recall but now I know what I need to do.

Thanks for the replies and support. Hopefully if ever there is somebody else who have the same issues they might find this useful.

Back
Top Bottom