My Route nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i tried several GPX files, saving from MRA and importing to basecamp.
It behaves just as it did on the trip.
Straight lines, i ask to recalculate and it throws a crappy route up.

interestingly i watched the official MRA video showing how to do all this and they have the same problem but ignore it like it never happened.
the chap creates a circular route and adds it to his Nav, when he shows the screen, it clearly shows the GPS driving directly to the destination LOL (although he doesnt mention it)
https://youtu.be/7mWn2tjQL3Q?t=275

since the GPX files dont load as they should, it has to be a limitation of MRA.

Have a look at the route I created in this thread.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ope-60-‘must-do’-routes?p=6073882#post6073882

I made it in BaseCamp but that’s not the point. See if you can load it up into your GPS device. There are several versions of the route and a track, so play around, you can’t break it as you can simply download it again from Dropbox. See how the shaping points, via points and waypoints (the hotel and fuel stations) work, too.

So i tried several GPX files, saving from MRA and importing to basecamp.
It behaves just as it did on the trip.
Straight lines, i ask to recalculate and it throws a crappy route up.

interestingly i watched the official MRA video showing how to do all this and they have the same problem but ignore it like it never happened.
the chap creates a circular route and adds it to his Nav, when he shows the screen, it clearly shows the GPS driving directly to the destination LOL (although he doesnt mention it)
https://youtu.be/7mWn2tjQL3Q?t=275

since the GPX files dont load as they should, it has to be a limitation of MRA.

What format GPX did you save as? 1.0 or 1.1? As said earlier, 1.0 is the one. You'd think 1.1 would be better as its a "later" version but no

Have a look at the route I created in this thread.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ope-60-‘must-do’-routes?p=6073882#post6073882

See if you can load it up into your GPS device.

What format GPX did you save as? 1.0 or 1.1? As said earlier, 1.0 is the one. You'd think 1.1 would be better as its a "later" version but no

I tried both 1.0 and 1.1 there is no difference.

wapping i loaded your route
as i sent the "complete route" to the GPS, i received the following message...
"Routes sent to BMW Motoradd Navigator VI were recalculated because they was created on a map that is not install on that device"

anyway, i checked it anyway :) it does seem to work okay as far as i can see, its the same.

OK, which maps do you have installed on your device?

I created the routes in BaseCamp map version City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.3.

But that probably doesn’t really matter too much as your Garmin device seems to have recalculated the Garmin created route to match the maps your device is running.

The good news is that the route seems to have installed OK, is useable and would run OK. If nothing else it confirms that the problems you are having is with My Route’s routes and maybe a bit of innocent user error.

Barnoe, that's Wapping very politely saying youre a biff ..... :D

Barnoe, that's Wapping very politely saying youre a biff ..... :D

I often wish I had followed a career in the traffic police. I would have loved the opportunity of some amusing banter with the customers.

I often wish I had followed a career in the traffic police. I would have loved the opportunity of some amusing banter with the customers.

A friend of a friend stopped Dale Winton on Tower bridge (London bridge? .. Cant remember now) some years back. He was on the phone. (Roller? Bentley? Cant remember that now either!). The cop walked up to the drivers door and the electric window slid down ... Dale still with the phone to his ear ... as camp as you could possibly get ....

'Anyway darling, Ive got to go ... Ive just been stopped by the most Gooooorgeous police officer ...'

(Sigh) 'Dale .... put the phone down and Fuck off ... '

(giggling) 'yes officer ... '

:thumb

Excellent.

The best one I witnessed was in Houndsditch, EC3. A delivery van driver had parked his van on the zigzags by the pelican crossing, just by Boots. A City of London motorcycle copper was just writing out the ticket when the van driver rushed out and shouted, “Mate, I was only in there a minute!”. The copper replied, rather laconically, “That’s as maybe, sir. But the trouble is, I don’t care”. Excellent.

A bit further down the same road, there used to be a McDonalds. One day I was walking past and saw a City of London police car, parked on the zigzags of the second pelican crossing. Out of McDonalds came the police car’s passenger, clutching his and the driver’s lunch. I said, “You shouldn’t park there, officer”. The bod looked at me, very pissed off and said, “And you can feck off”. Which just made me laugh….. and at least he then did, too. Happy days.

1.1 works great on the Garmin 660, but as mentioned before the 1.0 is the only file to work on the BMW Nav V and Nav V1

OP if you are new to MyRoute, just try a few more ,by writing a route, saving uploading ,then by checking on the Nav ,zoom in and make sure its a the route you wrote. I find it twice as quick and easier than using Basecamp. practice makes perfect

OK, which maps do you have installed on your device?

I created the routes in BaseCamp map version City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.3.

My map is "City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.1"

I must be from the future :D

and maybe a bit of innocent user error.

To be honest with all the different Apps, GPX types, Map types and in device settings, im surprised ive got this far!
All seems a bit complicated just to drive up a road or two lol

The difference in the maps makes sense, simply as I am using a Mac that hasn’t yet had its maps updated to to 2022.10.

As regards your closing comment? Fair enough, just use a paper map and look at the sign posts.

Barnoe, the straight line issue is discussed in this thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/525521-My-Route-App-creating-straight-lines

The workaround seems to be:

A. Make sure you use the ‘Here’ version of the maps in My Route.

B. Export the route in version 1 not in 1.1, though you said you’d tried both and both created straight lines.

C. Convert the announced via points (created when you shaped the route in My Map) into unannounced shaping points. This you can do from within the device itself. If nothing else, this definately forces the device to make a recalculation, the act of which might well force the route onto the roads, I guess.

I did find this, though some of the advice given by My Route does contradict advice given on this forum:

https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/solutions/articles/12000079901-myroute-app-garmin

I also found this:

https://support.myrouteapp.com/supp...aq-straight-lines-in-garmin-and-bmw-navigator

Reading trough the last link does indeed show that there can be straight line problems. One suggestion, right down at the bottom of the web page:

If this does not work for you, try the following:

Open the desired route for export in the MRA Routeplanner and click on 'export' in the top right corner.

In the connector, choose Garmin New or BMW Motorbike in case of a BMV Navigator (these are both GPX 1.1 files) or (in case of older models) the GPX 1.0 option.

Only open the route in the 'journey planner' on your Garmin navigation device if there is a GPX signal.

Check in the settings that the navigation mode is not set to 'Offroad'.

Still straight lines? Then go to settings and change the route preference, for example, 'Avoid highways'. The Garmin or BMW Navigator will now calculate the route. You can then return to your preferred route. For a route you have made yourself, we recommend: 'Fastest route'.

Lots of bods use My Map and Garmin devices; I can only suppose they create more than simple A to B routes and / or that it does work properly and reliably on a Garmin device and with more complex routes. I don’t use My Map or use a PC, so I’m afraid that I can’t help you much more, other than to say play around some more, as you really can’t break it.

Going into setting and choosing avoid highways would suggest they keep calculations on?
which goes again some of the advice ive been given.

I suppose the only true way to test this is to create a route locally with plenty of turns and test it. tweaking if necessary until i find a way that works.
its trial and error.

There does seem to be a lot of people having similar issues though.

Something you mention there does make me wonder though?
C. Convert the announced via points (created when you shaped the route in My Map) into unannounced shaping points. This you can do from within the device itself

During my trip as i was travelling to a place i know i did a waypoint, recalculation would kick in and change the route!
it does seem like the garmin sees the whole route as smaller linking routes, and only loads the next part once you reach the flag marking the end of each section.

this needs testing, you might be onto something there.

My Route seems to export its routes as a track. That is not unusual. A Garmin device will run a track but you won't get the magenta line and will not receive turn directions. Therefore, to get the magenta line and the turn instructions, the device has to convert the track into a route. That conversion, particularly when the track started life outside of the Garmin environment, may not always be perfect, sometimes resulting in the straight lines. Conversion in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. When a device imports even a Garmin route from within its own memory, it has to calculate it, which is a form of a conversion process. This conversion can, on some routes, take several seconds.

I have changed via points into shaping points and shaping points into via points, all from within my Nav V and Nav VI devices and / or from within BaseCamp, with no problems at all. Making the change from one to the other from within the device, does force a recalculation each time; it has to *. But, the recalculation does NOT alter the bespoke route I created originally.

A modern Garmin device does see the route, divided by the flags of the via points as a complete route and sees it segmented, simultaneously. It has to, as it will keep trying to pass you through each via point flag (points you have told the dumb device you must pass through) and will not give up until you either pass through the via point or hit the 'skip' button. Similarly, it has to treat each via point flag as an individual point (and therefore, the route as separate sections) as you can ask the device to take you straight to any one of the via points, from wherever it is you are standing.

As I said, play around. I can accept that you have added a layer of possible error or confusion by adding My Route into the mix, but that's your choice. That being said, I think you also need to learn how your Garmin GPS device works; that's OK as you really cannot break it.

* Why does the conversion of a via pint to a shaping point or visa-versa, from within the device, require a recalculation? I think it's because a shaping point and a via point carry with them some additional data or qualities, that the device needs to take account of. Hence, when one is changed into the other, some sort of recalculation needs to take place. There are reports that the XT does move the points (and therefore alter the route) when changing from a via point to a shaping point or visa-versa. But hat problem seems unique to the XT or at least I have never seen it happen on my Nav V or Nav VI.

Barnoe,

For what it's worth, I updated the map on my Nav V to match yours but left the map on my Mac as the old version. I then dragged the route file straight into my Nav V, from within BaseCamp itself. Not surprisingly, just as you did, I received a warning that the route was created in different versions of the maps and that a recalculation would occur before the routes were sent from my Mac to the device. The recalculation took place, I could see Basecamp making the recalculation between each shaping point in a pop-up window. I then disconnected the device from my Mac.

My device then prompted me that there were new routes available, would I like to import them? I said, yes. The device then imported each of the four individual routes and the complete route (five routes in all) into Trip Planner, just as it should do. This took a little while as it has to take the data it has received and convert it into a form that is useable on the screen. The five routes, installed into Trip Planner perfectly, just as they should. I did, as I always do, then summon each route up and compared each with the version held in BaseCamp on my Mac; they matched. I am confident that each would run perfectly, should I have been sitting in Luxembourg.

I then went back to my Mac and updated the map to the latest version. I then deleted the old map, as I see no point in keeping old maps. I then asked BaseCamp to recalculate each of the five routes, which BaseCamp did for me. Each recalculated perfectly.

I then went back into my device and asked it to convert a shaping point or two (little blue dots) into via points (little flags) and via point into a shaping point. When changing a via point flag into a blue dot shaping point, the device gave me a warning that this would require a recalculation, would I like to do it? I said yes. Each converted perfectly, the route not changing as a result of the recalculation. I then changed them back, which worked perfectly again.

What does this tell us?

1. I use a Mac, not a PC.

2. BaseCamp is not the monster bods make it out to be.

3. It is possible to create complex routes.

4. It is possible and quite safe to allow recalculations.

5. It is possible to display and run complex routes on a Nav V and other Garmin devices.

6. You can change via points into shaping points and visa-versa, quite safely.

7. You do not need to use My Route. Not doing so, avoids bringing in other challenges to an otherwise smooth operation.

8. That I like Basecamp, my Mac and my Garmin devices.

Am I unique? I don't think so. Leedude (a regular correspondent in this section) does he same on his PC and, I think, uses an 'old' (but still very good) 550, without any problems. So it must be possible. Others do, too.

:beerjug:

So this off route re-calculation that needs to be off ....

I get that if you import a route from MRA and you dont want the device to alter it you need it do not recalculate it.

But once it's in the device, can I then turn 'off-route recalculate' back on ? if I do and come off route I'm guessing its first re-calculate will then ignore all the upcoming shaping points?

As the route seems to come in from My Route (MRA) as a track, some recalculation is inevitable, if only to display it as a route and for the turn instructions to work.

Recalculation in itself is not a bad thing, though you do have to understand how it works. Once the device is properly running a route, it doesn't matter if the route started life in BaseCamp, MapSource, MRA or on the back of the moon. A route, is a route, is a route. It's as simple as that; it's not suddenly changed after 40 or so years of Garmin and the basic Quest device. What has though changed is what a device is capable of doing to a route, the data a route can hold, plus all the other tweaks (some of them very good and very clever) and all the alternative apps and pieces of third party software, some pretty good and some absolute garbage.

I leave recalculation as prompted, so I (not the dumb - but very clever - device) can decide if I want a recalculation or not. Similarly, I have the voice instructions off, too. But that's just me. Similarly, I don't go in for all the Garmin app, linking to a phone and all the other 'must do, must have' stuff that now inhabits the formerly peaceful world of just riding a motorbike. In short, I use the device as nothing more than a clever electronic map, little different to a paper map with a line highlighted onto it.

If you want to pin the route, use more via points and less shaping points, perhaps? But via points can themselves be tricky things, so you need to understand them and how they work, too. The real trick, as much as anything else, is understanding how to best create bespoke routes and to understand the device and its foibles..... and avoid using bloody MRA.... and buy a Mac!

I have a mac .... !!

(Just been playing and importing routes with recalculate off, then once route is in, putting recalculate back on, and all seems to be fine .... ).

:thumb2

I don't profess to have the insight that Wapping does. But I have been using MRA for years now and never had an issue. I use 1.0 for the Nav VI as the only difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is as I've said earlier, one gives you waypoints, the other gives you shaping points. I change within the device and again I haven't noticed any recalculation when I do that. I do have auto recalculate off when using a MRA route. I get turn by turn and the line to follow. I've never had any map warnings, but I have a gold subscription and plan my routes using the HERE map, which is the garmin maps. It just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom