Biker accommodation in Scotland ?

Barnoe, you mention those average speeds being low, I’m wondering if I’m slightly pushing it on my first day from Callander to Ullapool, what do you reckon, I’m going via Fort Augustus ?

The single track roads down the west over to applecross including the infamous Bealach na Ba road (path lol) takes time not because its busy, its just very twisty with many many blind bends and oncoming traffic you need to stop for. Only an idiot would speed through that.

Personally though, i wouldn't miss it, if you have to do an extra nights camp , do that. The roads are worth it.

This is your Route

it does look a long day.... numb bum tackle lol

I notice there is a campsite called "The wee Campsite" at Lochcarron which is before Applecross, there is also the "Applecross Campsite" too

Pete/Barnoe,
Thanks guys,
I looked at the Dornie/Applecross route, I know it fairly well and I agree that although normally unmissable it eats time but not miles, and as I’ll hit it late morning from Callander it will be full of cages, hence I’ll use the route Pete mentioned via Drumnadrochit, it will still be a couple of hundred miles but easier quicker miles.
I’m actually riding up for the BMW club (Scottish Section) long weekender at the Rob Roy in Aberfoyle. I thought that I’d ride up a few days before the event and get up to the north coast and come down via Grantown-on-Spey, Cairngorms, Pitlochry, Killin, Aberfoyle, and meet the club lads and lasses at the Rob Roy on the return trip.
I’ve not ridden north of Ullapool before, so it will be a first for me and my missus :thumb

It's going to be really busy up there in 3 weeks. Good luck.

Take midge repellant. "Smidge" is good.

Personally, I'd take a tent.

You might want to stray off the NC500. My local, The Smithton Hotel in Inverness is a basic no frills hotel with secure biking round the back of the hotel and very good meals. On the outskirts of the town but has a good public and lounge bar. Worth a punt for a one night stop over. Ask for Peter.

Thanks low flyer I’ll check that out.

Re the Midges, I’ve already heard from my mates who’s just come back that they are on biting form��

Regards the midges...

Skin so soft, Jungle formula and even a net..... nothing works!
Only thing that worked for me, was getting back on the bike and riding off at 60mph for a couple of hours to somewhere else lol

I couldnt afford to stay in B&Bs the trip would have cost well over £1k if i did.
the whole family could holiday in Turkey for that price for 2 weeks!! (thats what the wife would have said :D )

I stayed at the Beinglas Farm Campsite just north of Loch Lomond...eaten alive!!
Shame cos its a great campsite too, has a shop, bar and undercover area to drink and cook your own stuff
If you do stay there, sleep in the wooden bothy, the midges feast on tent dwellers lol

https://aultguish.co.uk/

Aultguish Inn on the road to Ullapool is interesting.

I’ve enjoyed it a few times.

Watered & fed with bike in shed round back.

And the road is wonderful.

That looks really nice, although I’ve .com booked the riverside in Ullapool, a stop in Garve would reduce the trek from Callander by about the right amount.
I’ll look into it.
Cheers BB

EEEK! That’s horrific, I’ve just changed my mind, I’ll stay in Sunny Scunny!

Seriously that’s really bad, I thought they only seriously attacked during dusk and dark?
Worst case scenario mate. Don't let it put you off.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The midge only comes out at certain times of the day, usually after 6pm til about 8am.

I've just spent two days in the mountains of Glencoe and only til I got back to my BnB around 8 was there an issue.

Worst case scenario mate. Don't let it put you off.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It hasn’t, I’m all booked in, seemed to be more than enough places to stay. On the way down I’ll have 4 nights with the BMW bike club at the Rob Roy in Aberfoyle.

Actually, the miles are x2 by the west coast! Plus the roads are more demanding. It would be a shame to miss them mind!

I spoke too someone at Summer Isles hotel yesterday and he was full, he recommended somewhere else that I mentioned, on booking.com it was 11 miles

Aye he says, but it's gonna take you 40 mins to do those 11 miles

Looks nice and many thanks for posting, however I am fully booked in now at x5 different locations so it’s probably time to close this thread.

Cheers again, thread now closed

Thread open again

Info threads are good to keep updated, as things change and lodgings close or change owners etc

I can thoroughly recommend

The Commercial Hotel at Tarland, near Aboyne & Ballater

https://www.thecommercial-hotel.co.uk

Good private parking in a rear courtyard car park

Superb well appointed and comfortable rooms, nicely decorated and furnished

Good choice of beer and food, all delicious

Good breakfast, best I had over the 3 nights and freshly cooked to order and good selection of cereals and fresh fruit etc

I stayed at the Aultguish Inn, 2 nights ago and you cannot fault the location, with 360 degree panoramic views of the highlands & located between. Ullapool and Garve

Garage for bike was welcomed

https://aultguish.co.uk/

However the room was in need of a makeover and not as comfortable as other hotels I stayed in, on the trip
Evening food was ok ....but not stunning
Breakfast was a totally DIY affair, with not even fresh tea and coffee brought to the table or toast (despite hotel staff being stood about ....who could have done it)
You had a vending machine with hot water or coffee options - but hot water was lukewarm at best
Toast was on a diy conveyor and the hot food in Bain Marie’s was lukewarm, despite being in there to partake at 7.35am, on a 7.30am opening - god knows how it would have faired at breakfast closing at 9.30am
Owners or Managers are Eastern European, so that May account for the breakfast option and felt very similar to hotels I have stayed at, in Hungary or Romania
Disappointed and won’t be returning

Borgie lodge on the north coast, has a bike garage and a drying wall.

Back
Top Bottom