Routing problem, using a Nav VI running a route created in My Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazandwiz

Reaction score
I have started you a separate thread, as I think you have two separate issues and questions. This thread will deal with the routing problem. The other will deal with your 'Two arrows' choice of routes icon. https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ew-icon-with-two-arrows?p=6083363#post6083363

Richard

Some background... I plot a route using My Route App and upload to the Nav6. The upload creates a Route and a Track. The route is comprised of all the waypoints and if I use this route, the Nav6 will decide how it routes me from point to point. Since I don't want this I always create a route fromt the track and then there's just 2 waypoints, the start and finish and the route will take me on the exact roads I plotted using my computer.

On Sunday I was following a route from a track, as usual, and the Nav changed the blue track line to a left turn instead of right, which I knew was the correct direction. I had to reload my route and carry on. The Nav did this several times on my ride ......The Nav6 has never done this before and I can't find out why.

I do have prompt for off route selected. Any ideas?

Cheers
Gaz

It appears that the link you provided has taken me to a locked Google drive account.

4e12dd10568115391a8db34c4c16d039.jpg

Oh well, that's MAC and ipads for you.
Thnaks for trying.

G

Bingo, at least I can now open the file in Pocket Earth Pro on my Ipad.

Don’t worry about the straight lines, that is something that has just come across as just the via points and no data for Pocket Earth as to how to join them up.

I’ll fire up my Mac later.

1776b1f22857b9d4a1a28fa0e29c5521.png

Can you pinpoint, please, the exact point where the route offered up on your Nav VI deviated.

I am a bit confused by your open post. Are you saying that the device altered a track or that the device altered a route, created from a track?

Thank you.

I can open the .gpx file in Basecamp and it gives me a route and a track. From the track I can make Basecamp calculate a route. If I could find a way to include screenshots I'd add them.

added for you below, screen shots of your route and track in basecamp pic 1 as it was, pic 2 the route recalculated, pic 3 track converted to route, and pic 4 both the recalculated route and converted track super imposed .
You can now clearly see where they differ from each other

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 143
I got exactly the same thing, Lee

83020b01dc283a511e114d1253aae710.jpg

8b1e0aac4d0898214a0b61d312f93250.jpg

I smell the malevolent odour of My Route in the affair. That’s not uncommon.

i get the exact same anomaly at the same point, thats got to be from the original created and downloaded route. and you are using a different map set and mac

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 152
I agree with you, Lee. It has to be something imported from the My Route route. It cannot come from anywhere else.

I have imported the route and track into my Nav VI.... will report shortly..... ooooh, I think I have an answer.....

The answer, I think, is this.

The file we were provided with contained a track and a semi-corrupted route, created in My Route. I use the word ‘semi-corrupted’ as it was straight lines. When the semi-corrupt route file was recalculated in BaseCamp, the route offered up differed from the track. For any investigation thereafter, it was necessary to rely on the track as the correct definitive article.

BaseCamp tells us that the track is 163 miles in length, so we know that any route version must be near enough 163 miles long, too. We also know that the track has certain portions where the route version varies. An example of this would be at Blewbury, where the track turns north, left off the A417 to pass along the B4016 before turning right to pass through Aston Tirrold and South Moreton, to join the A4130 at Wallingford, where it turns right. In addition, we know there is a single shaping point (created in My Route) a little way along the B4016, which forces the route to that point. More importantly, there are then no more shaping points until very near the end on the A4155 between Medmenham and Marlow. In other words, there is nothing in between the shaping point on the B4016 and that on the A4155 to shape the route over several miles. Garmin, in common with other GPS devices, relies on strategically placed shaping points in order to accurately render a bespoke shaped route. This will become important later.

Here it is shown in BaseCamp:

f8c189cd564adf91e070bac5554f4a41.jpg

b4e37ce7aa5280771eb3ef30e7b9f680.png

We also know that Lee sees the same anomaly when he looks at it on his PC, so we can be sure it’s not a curious glitch brought about by me using a Mac. That being the case, we can use this section as a simple reference point for what comes next.

I then sent the track and the semi-corrupt route to my fully up-to-date Nav VI, the same device as used by the OP. Not surprisingly the device displayed the track perfectly but displayed the route as straight lines. Just as importantly it showed the route as taking no time at all to travel 128 miles. So, we have straight lines and no time; something is very wrong. The track however looks OK:

25aeaa3b0b502a21f184873ec91b2fad.jpg

2a9983f57ba46438d1e6ca6a9ceec880.jpg

c8c5de7da58240a23d5c1e92278972f6.jpg

I then asked the Nav VI to convert the track into a route. This worked perfectly, including (correctly and accurately) the problem area referred to above:

1c6ab2117f361c460e5b06d600e3d76c.jpg

49384dabea4576624c42e3df9e51860e.jpg

I am confident that I could have used it and ridden the route without any problems.

Happy with that result, I turned the Nav VI’s attention to the straight line semi-corrupt route. To change straight lines into a route that follows roads, you have to force a recalculation. I did this by changing the mode to car. The device recalculated the route, rendering up something that looked pretty much like the track version. As I have my car preferences on my Nav VI set to match motorcycling, I knew that it would be the same if I sent it back to motorcycling mode. I did it anyway, which forced another recalculation. Again the route looked OK… BUT…. It showed the missing out of the section at the B4016 and the part thereafter. In other words the route went a little way up the B4016 to the shaping point (see above) turned around and came back again, to rejoin the A417, continuing on until the next and nearly last shaping point on the A4155 between Medmenham and Marlow.

ec3d5cadc15eae18126e3ba6b73cf112.jpg

c53dbf4bfd0c6582643bf96d94bee876.jpg

We therefore now have a route created from a track that is correct and a route created from a semi-corrupt route, that is wrong.

To check that the route created from the track worked OK, I asked the Nav VI to take me from my house in central London to the start point and then onto the end. This it did, perfectly. I am confident that I could have left my front door, followed the magenta line to the start point and then followed the magenta line of the route (with all its twists and ti]urns and stop off points) for 163 miles to the end.

c47a654fadfd40c21289843a5c7d355e.jpg

CONCLUSION

A. The problems all seem to stem from the use of My Route to create the route in the first place. Had the route been created in BaseCamp, none of the problems would have occurred. That much I am confident of.

B. The lack of sufficient shaping points, means that the Nav VI was unable to properly create the correct route from the My Route version. A route created or at least checked in BaseCamp, would have avoided this issue. The creator of the route would have seen the problem and re-shaped the route properly.

C. The Nav VI was not to blame. It did what it could with what it was given to work with. Mix in some possible user error and the end result is all but inevitable.

D. We see this or very similar problems, time after time, on these pages. 99 times out of 100 it is always the same causes.

ADVICE

1. Always check any route (and particularly one that’s come from a third party, like My Route, a magazine or a mate) BEFORE you leave home. Mistakes and errors are easier to sort out at home, than on the roadside.

2. Use BasCamp to at least check the route, rather than just sending it straight to a GPS device.

3. Preferably, cut out using My Route entirely. BaseCamp really isn’t hard.

Richard

:beerjug:

PS Moved back into the My Route sub-section.

For what it's worth I manually recreated the OP's route in BaseCamp, based entirely on the track.

It matches the track in shape and roads taken exactly. It matches the track in length exactly.

It exports correctly to my Nav VI and displays properly. I would use it with absolute confidence.

Here it is, hosted on Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvohn2d5ulqcgqr/For Paul - Recreated.GPX?dl=0

we see this time and again and as usual people seem to blame either the software or the nav unit without taking a moment to check their own work, or how they have things set up on the unit or in their software. Bottom line is the dumb unit (nav not the person) will function correctly according to its settings and the route provided,

Check your route closely and make sure your nav settings and software settings are as you want them, and once the route has been sent to your nav check it again.

Lee has it spot on.

15 minutes to create a route in My Route.

5 minutes to check it in BasCamp, correcting any errors made or misfits between two different pieces of software, before sending it to your Garmin gps device.

1 minute to check that the route is properly installed on your Garmin gps device and matches the route displayed in BaseCamp and / or what you originally created in My Route. In other words, when you get out on the road, are you confident it will work properly?

Alternatively, miss out six minutes of time and spend 30 minutes or more, shouting at your Garmin gps device at the roadside for only doing what it has been told to do or scream at the device for only trying to do it with the mistakes and errors it has been given to work with.

Not least, if it happens, go to the My Route forum / help pages and ask THEM why a route created on THEIR software and apparently easy to reliably transfer, install and run on YOUR Garmin gps device doesn’t perform properly. THEY should know the answer and sort it out for YOU. If THEY don’t or can’t, YOU can start to wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom