K1600GTLE Has Replaced the Goldwing

PembsGSA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Love affair is over... sadly the Goldwing had to go....The luggage capacity (or lack off) was a deciding issue...er' indoors needs more room for the kitchen sink:blast

Goldwing has been replace with the big K1600GLE with all the bells, whistles and Option 719 paintwork....

Great bike the GW, but I think Mr Honda slipped up on the luggage, although to be fair, the latest 2021 model has slightly more capacity (+11 ltrs in the trunk). Few other little things niggled me - like now being able to turn off the radio!, satnav/comms interface not as good as on my Nav V (on the GSA).

Time to give the K1600 Ownership a go:thumby:

Attachments

• DSCF0993 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0993 (Large).jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 722
  • DSCF1008 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1008 (Large).jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 715
  • DSCF1011 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1011 (Large).jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 733
  • DSCF1016 (Large).jpg
    DSCF1016 (Large).jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 727
Looks very nice too.

The panniers on my GW bagger were tiny but great bike overall.

I think you will miss the GW radio ect BMW no where near as good and switching off the radio is very easy i have both so i know

I agree about the panniers on the GW. But I still really love mine.

I tried the new 21 plate goldwing last week and the k1600 . In my opinion the bmw is a far superior bike and the build quality seems better
Which one did I buy easy decision . A BMW K1600 GRAND AMERICA

I tried the new 21 plate goldwing last week and the k1600 . In my opinion the bmw is a far superior bike and the build quality seems better

Never mind. No accounting for taste :beerjug:

I agree... for instance, the plastics/paintwork on the GW are poor compared to the K1600.
I would also add that after approx 5 months of ownership (including a 2-up UK tour), for us it was 100% the right decision to sell the GW and go for the K1600 GLE.

I agree... for instance, the plastics/paintwork on the GW are poor compared to the K1600.
I would also add that after approx 5 months of ownership (including a 2-up UK tour), for us it was 100% the right decision to sell the GW and go for the K1600 GLE.

Each to their own.........good luck.:thumb

I’m quite surprised about your paintwork comment. I found the opposite, and after seeing dropping quality of BMW’s for 10 years I went the other way.

That GTL looks way better IMO. Great to have a choice and enjoy the ride

I’m quite surprised about your paintwork comment. I found the opposite, and after seeing dropping quality of BMW’s for 10 years I went the other way.

The construction of the GW panel plastics for the top box and panniers are not as substantial and the GLE - maybe due to weight saving considerations in design. The GLE has a re-assuring closure mechanism when loading all you gear in. At the risk of nit picking - I found the GW plastics to be slightly flimsy, probably due to the thinner plastics.
With regard to the paintwork - it seemed to mark up easily - hence I spent a lot of time polishing out light scratches.

Don't get me wrong - GW is still a great bike, and these are minor niggles. I'm glad that I tried out the GW ownership experience, but as mentioned, each to their own.:thumb

got to say i hope the wings engine paint stays on not like my 1600 from new.

Back
Top Bottom