Pillion foot peg rubber

Hartley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just returned from our first tour on my R1250GS and in most respects the bike was great.
Only issue we had was with the pillion pegs.
As my wife got on and off the bike the rubber part of the peg assembly would twist and become partially detached. I cannot see away to secure the rubber in position better so may fit an aftermarket peg if I can find a suitable one.

Has anyone come across this issue or have a suggestion for an aftermarket peg?

I have come across this. It would appear that as the wife was getting onto the bike and twisting the treat on her boot was causing the rubber to move. Eventually the rubber peg that slots into the foot peg would pop out and the rubber would be loose. No real fix just had to check it every time she gets off the bike and push it back on, when it’s loose the peg won’t stay up. I did suggest boots without such a chunky tread but she likes the ones she has.

Fit a rear seat tail pack = no room for passengers :okay:augie

I have a missus who twists the rubbers too, fnaar Once you get it properly seated again put two cable ties on it.

I had the same. Lost a foot peg rubber on the way to Dent. Cable ties, as the man said.

Thanks for the replies. Does sound like we’re not the only ones that had had this issue.
Traffic, that’s exactly what’s happening.
Leadfarmer, I understand what you mean and we did try that but to be fair to my misses, getting on and off the bike ( that’s when the pegs seem to twist) with panniers fitted is already quite difficult.

I was away with a couple of mates, one on an older GS and one on a 800 tiger and the rubber parts were rock solid. We’ve also had several other bikes and never had this issue. Not a great design I have to say.

I’ve found some Puig pegs that may be a good alternative.

Thanks for the replies. Does sound like we’re not the only ones that had had this issue.
Traffic, that’s exactly what’s happening.
Leadfarmer, I understand what you mean and we did try that but to be fair to my misses, getting on and off the bike ( that’s when the pegs seem to twist) with panniers fitted is already quite difficult.

I was away with a couple of mates, one on an older GS and one on a 800 tiger and the rubber parts were rock solid. We’ve also had several other bikes and never had this issue. Not a great design I have to say.

I’ve found some Puig pegs that may be a good alternative.

If any help try lowering rear footrests, it help my wife with Vario luggage before.

I have actually fitted harley small rear footboards to my bike - makes it more comfy for the mrs.
I remove them when she is not on.

Attachments

• 3A650981-C154-4D20-93C0-CCD5FBCD76EF.jpeg
    3A650981-C154-4D20-93C0-CCD5FBCD76EF.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 444
I had the same several times over the years. no cure for the rear but I fitted Cymarc front footpeg fillers (GSA) and then get the wife to use the front footpeg to get on the bike instead of the back. Never had the problem since.

Rik

Thanks for the heads up. I have added tie wraps to my pillion pegs.

The rubber pads are very soft, I suspect this is deliberate to reduce vibration.

Atb
Simon

Just returned from our first tour on my R1250GS and in most respects the bike was great.
Only issue we had was with the pillion pegs.
As my wife got on and off the bike the rubber part of the peg assembly would twist and become partially detached. I cannot see away to secure the rubber in position better so may fit an aftermarket peg if I can find a suitable one.

Has anyone come across this issue or have a suggestion for an aftermarket peg?

Just had the same problem on my new GSA. 'Harry' suggested a cable tie, sounds like a good solution to me.

My wife actually fell from my 15 plate GSA1200 whilst dismounting one evening during a tour of Ireland. The fall caused a back injury and a damaged helmet along with damaged pride. Once back in the UK we explained the circs to Ocean, Plymouth who couldn't be more helpful..! A few days later both rear pegs were replaced FOC. We never sought redress for the injury or damaged lid though..... The new pegs were fine and my 18 plate GSA1200 has thus far been incident free :)

Hi Guys,
Had the exact same problem with my rear pegs, I lost a rubber even after using zip ties on the pegs.
Is there any UK supplier of different pegs that won't have the same problem?

Cheers, Pete

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom