Tickover speed

Sort it sooner than later, rather than have the £5k bill for the rebuild - ask Mrs Berin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading on I see you did, wise move

having built more 2 valve flat twin engines than anybody in this country there is a machining fault with the oil feed on the late model crankcase normally in the 1990s which leeds to very slow self destruction, hope you dont have one.

having built more 2 valve flat twin engines than anybody in this country there is a machining fault with the oil feed on the late model crankcase normally in the 1990s which leeds to very slow self destruction, hope you dont have one.

That’s interesting, what are the self destruction symptoms? Mrs Berins one did end up a mess, now sorted by Mikey, but it was a conundrum how it happened as it had good history and careful owners

That’s interesting, what are the self destruction symptoms? Mrs Berins one did end up a mess, now sorted by Mikey, but it was a conundrum how it happened as it had good history and careful owners

Watching for a reply to this with interest.

There are no symptoms, it just wll not live to be an old bike with a lot of miles, and unless you make a mod it will do the same again, just how many miles it will manage is dependant on the severity of the fault. ignorance is bliss.

There are no symptoms, it just wll not live to be an old bike with a lot of miles, and unless you make a mod it will do the same again, just how many miles it will manage is dependant on the severity of the fault. ignorance is bliss.

Yes ignorance was bliss before I read your posts!

Now I have to avoid feeling paranoid :eek:

That’s a bit worrying Richie. Does the fault affect the oil supply or something?

Did BMW pickup on this before they ceased production and correct it? I have one of the last PD Classics which has been very well looked after. Not aware of any problems at 70k Km but you always worry.

BMW know nothing about it. and yes it effects oil feed. i only found it in 2009 when i had an engine brought to me that had done a bottom end for the 3rd time and the owner had lost all faith in the guy that had built it. i now fix the problem on every engine i build. you just cant say if its good very rare in the 1990s, they are normally between 60% oil flow down to 30% oil flow. to fix it or find it requires a total strip down. normal BMW repair shops would not even look for it , why would they. they just fit some new parts and all is fine again, but you are on a ticking time bomb.

BMW know nothing about it. and yes it effects oil feed. i only found it in 2009 when i had an engine brought to me that had done a bottom end for the 3rd time and the owner had lost all faith in the guy that had built it. i now fix the problem on every engine i build. you just cant say if its good very rare in the 1990s, they are normally between 60% oil flow down to 30% oil flow. to fix it or find it requires a total strip down. normal BMW repair shops would not even look for it , why would they. they just fit some new parts and all is fine again, but you are on a ticking time bomb.

I don't understand. You said previously:

Can you clarify?

For all of you that do not understand there is a fault with the machining of the oil circuit on the crankcase it only seems to effect the 1990s and not all of them. i have seen it about 6 times . it leads to a slow bottom end wipe out and you just cant work out why.

Sounds like Richie is referring to an oil gallery machining issue, misalignment or not quite deep enough to fully break through where it should. One could imagine a situation where there is full pressure at the switch point but reduced pressure at the crank bearings. Perhaps caused by wear in the production machinery which went unnoticed, no telling how many engine were written off by it.

Thanks Richie, good to know, if you have a 90's bike
.Or not!
Any way the problem can be mitigated, keeping the revs down would probably help, and the very best oil.
But thinner for more flow or thicker for perhaps more protection.
And does it show up as higher, or lower, oil pressure, or at all?

Back
Top Bottom