Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scotland tour 2021

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Pete View Post
    I trust sir is planning to head for Ullapool and points north? Turn west off the main NC500 route and take the Wee Mad Road to Lochinver via Inverkirkaig. Have a bite to eat at Lochinver and then head north to Kylescu via Clachtoll. Take a wee detour to Achmelvich and chill at one of the finest beaches in western Europe.

That'll be another day well spent. A long day from Fort Bill,mind!
    Having a bit of a rest day today. Heading out soon to see Glenfynnan Viaduct and then over to Camusdarach Beach south of Mallaig as her Ladyship would like to go for a swim.

Thanks for the info Peter, having a long day doesn't bother us, we must have done close on 250 miles yesterday.
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

Thanks Steve, looks like a great trip, wonderful place to visit, we have been doing around 3 weeks every September for a few years, take the Motorhome with a small bike on the back, never short of somewhere to stay

Quote Originally Posted by neil 23 View Post
    Thanks Steve, looks like a great trip, wonderful place to visit, we have been doing around 3 weeks every September for a few years, take the Motorhome with a small bike on the back, never short of somewhere to stay
    Will you remind me, please, of the make of your bike trailer with the castor wheels?
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    Will you remind me, please, of the make of your bike trailer with the castor wheels?
    It’s a Easylifter Hydratrail.

It’s a Easylifter Hydratrail.
    Ta Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    Having a bit of a rest day today. Heading out soon to see Glenfynnan Viaduct and then over to Camusdarach Beach south of Mallaig as her Ladyship would like to go for a swim.

Thanks for the info Peter, having a long day doesn't bother us, we must have done close on 250 miles yesterday.
    Take the easy route via Loch Ness and Inversnecky (Inverness). Then to Ullapool via the A835. If you go via the west coast route, it'll take you all day just to get to Ullapool!
    Purveyor of the finest "dreary verbal diahrrea." (sic)

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Excellent choice of route. The road down to the Clyde ferry is one of Scotland's little known gems. Then you've got one of the finest ferry crossings in the world (in terms of views) at the end of it. The good weather you got for it is an absolute bonus!
    There will be a return visit and a few more ferry rides I'm sure thanks for the tips and local knowledge

Cheers Neil I don't know why I've left it so long to get up there on a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snooty View Post
    Currently in Scotland staying in Fort William. We went to Applecross today via the A87, what a road! Stopped at Eilean Donan Castle for the obligatory photos and then over the Pass of The Cattle. Applecross was closed! Everything shut due to Covid except the campsite which has a mobile chippe. We returned via the lowland coastal road and that had fantastic scenery, we were blessed with the weather, bright sunshine and clear blue skies. What a day!
    You're doing well with the weather too I thought I had bagged Scotland's summer week
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    There will be a return visit and a few more ferry rides I'm sure thanks for the tips and local knowledge

You're doing well with the weather too I thought I had bagged Scotland's summer week
    Welcome. This has been mentioned on the forum before. Gives a pretty good basis for touring the country and includes the roads I mentioned plus many others.

My one bit of advice to folks is to think east - west and not north - south! The NC500 is spectacular but I would avoid it at peak season and enjoy the relative quiet of the borders and Galloway. There are fantastic roads and wonderful places to visit - from the wilds of Glentrool and the Isle of Whithorn to the the Dalveen Pass and Leadhills, St Mary's Loch, Scott's View near Melrose and a wee dip into Northumbria to Lindisfarne. And if you want a ferry, you can add Arran into the mix.

Weather wise, this has probably been the longest spell of very hot weather for a long time. Not far off 1976, I'd guess? Sometimes a tad too hot for the bike! Not that I'm complaining!

Great as it is (although I'm at work and not riding in it) it's still a long way off 1976!

I bought a new Honda CB750F1 Supersports in London in April and rode it every day and didn't get wet until late August, at the earliest!

Great as it is (although I'm at work and not riding in it) it's still a long way off 1976!

I bought a new Honda CB750F1 Supersports in London in April and rode it every day and didn't get wet until late August, at the earliest!
    Early days yet, Iain! Forecast is for the weather to break soon but who knows ...

Early days yet, Iain! Forecast is for the weather to break soon but who knows ...
    I hope we get a long, hot one next year when I'm retired like you!

I hope we get a long, hot one next year when I'm retired like you!

I'm amazed you're old enough to have had a CB750 in '76!

You old charmer, you!

And I won the long distance award at the H.O.C. at Donnington circuit when I popped in on my way home to Stenhousemuir from London!

I used to be able to "kick-start" it with my right hand too - I was young and stupid, obviously!

Welcome. This has been mentioned on the forum before. Gives a pretty good basis for touring the country and includes the roads I mentioned plus many others.

My one bit of advice to folks is to think east - west and not north - south! The NC500 is spectacular but I would avoid it at peak season and enjoy the relative quiet of the borders and Galloway. There are fantastic roads and wonderful places to visit - from the wilds of Glentrool and the Isle of Whithorn to the the Dalveen Pass and Leadhills, St Mary's Loch, Scott's View near Melrose and a wee dip into Northumbria to Lindisfarne. And if you want a ferry, you can add Arran into the mix.

Weather wise, this has probably been the longest spell of very hot weather for a long time. Not far off 1976, I'd guess? Sometimes a tad too hot for the bike! Not that I'm complaining!
    Would agree ,having spend last weekend visiting some old haunts around the Border regions.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post

Don’t forget if you’re short of company I’m usually available!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast