gps cradle pin

mjojom

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I think someone here or on another BMW forum posted that one of the pins broke off from the GPS cradle. Just happened to me, what it was, the collar around the top left pin stretched, and the pin popped out. that happened while the phone holder was in the cradle, and the top pin was touching (shorting) the second-row pin. for anyone unfamiliar, the first top row two pins are 12V, second row two pins are ground.

I've managed to fix the pin, bent the collar back with a sharp object, runs freely just like others, however; connecting the cradle and phone to the charging lead, the phone, or other devices indicates on/off charging rapidly. Checking the pins with a multimeter, I get 12V, however, it seems that 12V is not constant but switching very quickly between on and off - this does not show on the multimeter and I don't have oscillometer to confirm, but all devices connected doing the same.
I've tried different USB lead, I've bought another "phone to a GPS holder" cradle. I've checked codes with motoscan, no codes left. Pretty sure the cradle power is managed through some kind of a bus.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix the issue?

thanks
jo

Hi Guys,
I think someone here or on another BMW forum posted that one of the pins broke off from the GPS cradle. Just happened to me, what it was, the collar around the top left pin stretched, and the pin popped out. that happened while the phone holder was in the cradle, and the top pin was touching (shorting) the second-row pin. for anyone unfamiliar, the first top row two pins are 12V, second row two pins are ground.

I've managed to fix the pin, bent the collar back with a sharp object, runs freely just like others, however; connecting the cradle and phone to the charging lead, the phone, or other devices indicates on/off charging rapidly. Checking the pins with a multimeter, I get 12V, however, it seems that 12V is not constant but switching very quickly between on and off - this does not show on the multimeter and I don't have oscillometer to confirm, but all devices connected doing the same.
I've tried different USB lead, I've bought another "phone to a GPS holder" cradle. I've checked codes with motoscan, no codes left. Pretty sure the cradle power is managed through some kind of a bus.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix the issue?

thanks
jo

Wow , i'm going to have to polish the crystal ball on this one :D ;)

Lets start at the beginning

What bike , what year

What GPS

What GPS mount

Phone holder in the cradle ??? are you using it with a GPS or an adaptor to use a phone

In which case - which adapter

Some pictures may also help

the voltage fluctuation may be normal until it senses a load then it may swith to a stable feed

But, without the other bits of info, all we can do is guess

Oh and consider becoming a paid up member , that way you can receive PM's etc

:)
fair point. I thought... :)
bike, s1000xr 18 plate, no GPS, but GPS preparation holder that GPS unit snaps on.
phone holder/adapter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144097845433

prior to pin shorting, everything was working fine. voltage fluctuation to establish load, definitely no. My understanding is the GPS holder is powered by bus 12V simply on/off. As mentioned, with a multimeter is seems all perfect, however, connecting a phone or camera or another phone through USB cable that is plugged into the adapter reveals very quickly on/off. the phone will stop trying to get charged after about 5 seconds of this (i guess it protect itself) but the camera will continue flashing on/off charge

also, my experience with BMW is once they design something that works, they tend not to change it much, so I think the basic idea of the GPS holder across the board of the new bikes controlled with canbus will be the same, hence I'm posting on GS forum about S model.
https://bikereview.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-BMW-S-1000-XR-Bike-Review-4274.jpg

https://www.webbikeworld.com/wp-con...mw-locking-gps-mount-vs-non-locking-mount.jpg

:)
fair point. I thought... :)
bike, s1000xr 18 plate, no GPS, but GPS preparation holder that GPS unit snaps on.
phone holder/adapter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144097845433

prior to pin shorting, everything was working fine. voltage fluctuation to establish load, definitely no. My understanding is the GPS holder is powered by bus 12V simply on/off. As mentioned, with a multimeter is seems all perfect, however, connecting a phone or camera or another phone through USB cable that is plugged into the adapter reveals very quickly on/off. the phone will stop trying to get charged after about 5 seconds of this (i guess it protect itself) but the camera will continue flashing on/off charge

also, my experience with BMW is once they design something that works, they tend not to change it much, so I think the basic idea of the GPS holder across the board of the new bikes controlled with canbus will be the same, hence I'm posting on GS forum about S model.
https://bikereview.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-BMW-S-1000-XR-Bike-Review-4274.jpg

https://www.webbikeworld.com/wp-con...mw-locking-gps-mount-vs-non-locking-mount.jpg

can you post a pic of the wonky pin , if its the actual nav unit put a post on here for a wanted , you may get lucky or ebay they appear from time to time

its probably not fixable tbh

if you actually look at the third link, top two pins left and right one are 12V+, the second row left and right pin are ground. my top left pin broke, but it is fixed now, it isn't wonky anymore. those copper pins are simply encapsulated in copper sleeves, and pins are slightly cone shapen on the bottom, so if the sleeve stretches, pins simply pop out. the adapter has got joined 12V left and right pin, and ground left and right pin. so even if the left one would still be broken, the right side pin would suffice. I think what has happened, when the pin shorted to the ground, can bus simply cut power to it to prevent the short. now that it is fixed, whatever happened, it does not allow for canbus to send proper voltage to the nav holder.

ok,
thanks for the input. Ive figured it out, all it needed was a bus reset (disconnect battery for some time (left it overnight)). All working as should now. it's good to know that canbus can protect the bike and equipment from damage.

Back
Top Bottom