which R1200gsa help please

plaaty

Reaction score
Hi All,
new to the forum as I'm considering upgrading to an R1200GSA.
I'm not sure on the pro's and cons of different years/models.
If anyone could give me a crash course,
my main points would be:
comfort - mainly leg room
MPG
Reliability
I have road tested a new R1250GSA at a local dealer which was awesome, but I'm not sure if I want to sign up to that much expense based on a one hour road test.
any info would be appreciated
Thanks

My 2018 GSA is the best GS I have owned……..

My 2014 GSA is the best GS that I’ve owned ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks
If I was looking at a 2006 GSA what sort of mileage do problems start happening at.
I've seen a few at over 30000 miles, do the drive shafts have trouble and can they be rebuilt?
Which years suffer with corrosion or is it just down to individual situations.
thanks for any info :)

In that era I’d avoid those with servo brakes .
Drive shafts generally don’t fail but many advise regular greasing of splines ( easy diy)
Final drives can fail , but best to regularly change the oil ( again easy and do at same time as the splines. Later models have a drain plug , 2006 do not because they were ‘sealed for life ‘ in that era.)
Front casings corrode in that era
Fuel pump controllers failed a lot , not sure if they ever fixed the issue permanently ( I used to carry a spare )
Other than that , not a lot to worry about ; 2006 will not have expensive esa failures. You’ll not have water pump failures either .You’ll be saving a ton of money compared to the colossal losses that you’ll get on a new 2021 , so enjoy and be prepared for the occasional troubles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks
If I was looking at a 2006 GSA what sort of mileage do problems start happening at.
I've seen a few at over 30000 miles, do the drive shafts have trouble and can they be rebuilt?
Which years suffer with corrosion or is it just down to individual situations.
thanks for any info :)

I'd be looking at 2010 to early 2013 Twin Cam GSA's - the best bike/engine combo BMW made in the GS range and easily the most reliable, keep the corrosion at bay with a regular spray of ACF50 (all boxer engine bikes will corrode regardless of age - it's just a BMW thing), all final drives wear out, it's just wear and tear although more often than a Jap final drive which seem unbreakable.

Back
Top Bottom