fuel tank corossion

dippy

Reaction score
Morning

2006 GSA 120K miles, been sitting for 2 years, thought i'd put back on the road, turn over ok but not fire up, no spurt from injectors, replaced the fuel pump controller, still nothing and then i noticed this.

so, stupid questions: is this cleanable or should i just replace? if this gunk has contaminated the fuel, is there something else i need to do apart from cleaning out the tank, and could this be the reason why there's no firing?

thanks in advance for any comments

Attachments

• 20210725_122939.jpg
    20210725_122939.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 471
Clean and flush tank, clean fuel lines, through, change filter, hope the pump and injectors are not full of rust and sh#t

Pull the fuel line off an injector, hold end of pipe over a container and hit the starter button and see if fuel comes out and what condition it’s in .

Clean and flush tank, clean fuel lines, through, change filter, hope the pump and injectors are not full of rust and sh#t

Thanks Neil,I assume i can flush through the filter or would you say it would be beyond help? rather a crappy pic of inside the tank.

Attachments

• 20210725_123142.jpg
    20210725_123142.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 447
Pull the fuel line off an injector, hold end of pipe over a container and hit the starter button and see if fuel comes out and what condition it’s in .

Thanks Steptoe, Tried that, nothing came out on either side

It's been a while since I've ridden this bike, i seem to recall a whir or whine when ignition first switched on, something about priming the fuel?

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump housing and is hard to reverse flush, I (compromised) mine to by pass it and fitted a remote filter.
try by-passing the fuel pump controller to see if the pump is U/S, you will need to fit a hose with a quick disconnect as the the Q/D on the tank seals when disconnected.

So folks,

i can now confirm that the 1200 tank is not the easiest tank to pour petrol from but heyho anyways this is where i am now if some of you kind folks wouldnt mind advising me further?

I assume 2 is the filter, I'm also assuming it shouldnt look like that :D and 3 is the pump or as Mistercat says, is 2 the fuel pump and filter, in that case what is 3 for? and what's 4 and should it be plugged in to anything? and 1 and 5, i've no idea.

if 2 is the fuel pump and filter, I should be able to connect the pump straight to a battery to check if ok, is there a polarity issue of can i wing it?

thanks again in advance folks.

Attachments

• 20210803_160607.jpg
    20210803_160607.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 462
  • 20210803_160656.jpg
    20210803_160656.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 351
2 is the fuel pump
3 is the filter and the fuel gauge wiper.

Just pull the plug off the fuel pump and apply 12v to it, preferably from a fused circuit.

Brown will be negative,
Red will be positive.

5 is the tank vent
1 is the float for the fuel gauge.

how do you have a float not connected and the strip sensor plugged in ?

Right, having actually not tried anything yet I have fully removed from the tank to start the cleaning/testing and have pullled this out, what is this and do i need it?

Attachments

• 20210901_113401.jpg
    20210901_113401.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 209
Numbers 1 and 3 in your previous picture is the fuel level float and its wiper.
The part with red arrow in picture above is a fuel level strip sensor?
You usually have one or the other, you appear to have both.
Unless your strip has previously failed and someone has retro fitted the float system.?

Thanks Kenny,

Had this bike pretty much since new so dont think there's been any mod. I'll leave it as is and stick it back in once i've tested the pump, if i can figure out how it goes in! looks like it has clips on both ends so assume it fixes somehow.

thanks for getting back

I have a gsa and the bottom end of the strip locates into a notch near the bottom of the tank.
It just sits into the notch and is very easy for it to come out as your fixing the top end.
This holds the bottom end of the strip and stops it waving about and damaging itself when petrol is sloshing around.
Top end is held by a metal support onto the tank filer ring.

Thanks Kenny,

I dont know why i have both strip and float and cant see any locations that the strip would clip into or be held by.

seems the filter doesnt spark up with 12v straight to it so ordered one from ebay, £23 which seems a bargin!

thanks for the info

This a pic of how the strip on an LT is located at the bottom.
My gsa just has a single notch to hold the end in place.
f6NrAjxzBuHT8EBK9

https://images.app.goo.gl/f6NrAjxzBuHT8EBK9

Back
Top Bottom