exhaust cleaning

weetob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a go at cleaning the exhaust muffler pipe earlier.

First with some dr downpipe
3YTeDEK9FBYz7eLD7

Then with some emery cloth as it needs a bit more
VxdCjPKCgXti3D2z6

Finally used a polishing pad on cordless drill.
AJMSPTd7WHd131wK6

Came up reasonable in the end. Now to get on with a much more grubby header pipe.

Don't know why the photos aren't displaying?

Pictures 1-3 hopefully displaying as I tried the add picture as attachment this time.
20210619_130338.jpg
20210619_134747.jpg
20210619_143015.jpg

Header pipe is even worse, on this I might try some harpic cleaner first and then straight to emery cloth and polishing.

I'm interested in this as I want to clean up my header pipes and Harpic has been mentioned before.

Please keep the photos coming

Robbi

I tried all that witchcraft then gave them to a local polishing company who made them look like new for £30.

If I can piggy back on this, grateful for any tips on how to remove melted on Plastic Bag.

melted plastic

If I can piggy back on this, grateful for any tips on how to remove melted on Plastic Bag.
1./ a scraper that's harder than the plastic / softer than the metal you're scraping it off. (Maybe a copper coin - held in a small vice grips? - bit vague, i know :rolleyes: )
2./ a sharp one sided razor blade to remove as much as possible, followed by scrunched up tin foil or wire wool to scrape / polish off the rest.
Good Luck.

... By the way folks - WHICH Harpic is the one to use for getting pipes clean?

Went to take the header pipe off after a short ride at the weekend warming everything up but couldn't get socket set onto the highest bolt due to lack of clearance between coolant pipe and frame. Going to try with the smallest socket set I have another time.

It is Harpic power plus that I have seen people use on the internet and I tried on a stainless steel sink. Worked well on the sink but you had to work quickly to spread about, clean and rinse off. Left a bit of a stain where it was left for a while if applied directly. On an exhaust though I am sure this wouldn't matter, would soon blend in.

Remember. Only use it on stainless steel. Not on chrome
It WILL strip the chrome off

Finally got round to finishing cleaning up the header pipe and got it back on the bike.

First picture is as it came off the bike
20210922_182017.jpg

Second picture is after cleaning up with exhaust doctor, then harpic 10x and as these seemed to just de-grease the pipe due to condition I also used some emery cloth by hand. I reckon the cleaners would perform better on a cleaner pipe.
20210925_151349.jpg

Clearly not much difference so I went at it with a sanding disc on a 4" grinder and then a polishing pad.
20210926_141943.jpg

And finally a hand polish with some autosol
20211219_153942.jpg

Need to learn to re-size pictures!.

Off course the header pipe heat shield screws sheared on disassembly. Also snapped a tap re-threading the hole. I am not convinced I would bother doing this again although seeing the before and after pictures together help to forget the hassle and effort involved. I guess I'll wait and see how long the shine holds up to road miles.

Remember. Only use it on stainless steel. Not on chrome
It WILL strip the chrome off

Never heard of that before, I'm sure I've seen standard chrome down pipes cleaned with the Harpic 10x on YouTube

What would the headers on a 2008 GS be then.?

Back
Top Bottom