R1250RS Availability

Richardstables

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have a mate who is trying to get. test ride on a R1250RS. He lives in southern Scotland and the dealers are all saying they have no availability of demonstrators. Is anyone aware of why this might be. BMW seems to be very evasive when asked for the reasons. He has money waiting to buy a brand new bike but BMW seem to be going out of their way to not sell him one??? :nenau

I did wonder about that...when does the factory go back to work and start shipping bikes again...is it closed until the end of August?

Shortage of chips. All motor manufs. are facing supply problems for electronics sub-systems. When pushed they have to prioritize production of certain models over others. You may be able to order a 1250GS from the factory but not a 1250RS, for example.

Shortage of chips. All motor manufs. are facing supply problems for electronics sub-systems. When pushed they have to prioritize production of certain models over others. You may be able to order a 1250GS from the factory but not a 1250RS, for example.

Good point. :clap

I could be wrong. But also, perhaps its possible for a customer to factory-order a particular model, while dealers are not allowed to order the same as a demo. Just thinking aloud here. You'd have to talk to a dealer.

I could be wrong. But also, perhaps its possible for a customer to factory-order a particular model, while dealers are not allowed to order the same as a demo. Just thinking aloud here. You'd have to talk to a dealer.

That's a good point. He really needs to get a test ride on one before he orders just to make sure it's the right bike for him...he'll just have to keep pushing the dealers but they do seem incredibly laid back about the whole prospect of selling a bike. Maybe they are just making too much money :nenau

That's a good point. He really needs to get a test ride on one before he orders just to make sure it's the right bike for him...he'll just have to keep pushing the dealers but they do seem incredibly laid back about the whole prospect of selling a bike. Maybe they are just making too much money :nenau

has he looked in the used bike trade? There are a few about down this way so maybe some further north? He might find a good used 1200 is a better bet than a new 1250...

I think the chip shortage is a load of bollocks tbf

I think it is more likely that the RS is not a huge seller and as demo bikes end up costing the dealer money they are less likely to have a bike on Demo that may be a harder sell than say a GS

I think it is more likely that the RS is not a huge seller and as demo bikes end up costing the dealer money they are less likely to have a bike on Demo that may be a harder sell than say a GS

although any in stock for long tend to be the bikes that get pre-registered or added to the demo fleet to meet sales targets. Cotswold usually have one, for demo and service loan duties.

I have a 1250 GS on order for early October but have been told that it has been brought forward to use the last of the ESA Suspension units they have in stock. Apparently during the recent German floods, the factory who makes them was flattened so no production until rebuilt. Also told there are none of the new RT until next Spring due to a shortage of chips.

Only what I've been told, I have searched for info online but not found anything.

Now just waiting for confirmation as to when mine will be ready.

I have a 1250 GS on order for early October but have been told that it has been brought forward to use the last of the ESA Suspension units they have in stock. Apparently during the recent German floods, the factory who makes them was flattened so no production until rebuilt. Also told there are none of the new RT until next Spring due to a shortage of chips.

Only what I've been told, I have searched for info online but not found anything.

Now just waiting for confirmation as to when mine will be ready.

this covers the flood of the ZF suspension factory
https://autobala.com/germanys-zf-shock-absorber-parts-plant-affected-by-floods-for-months/114892/

Thanks, that's interesting, just seems strange that nothing else has come up about possible shortages.

dealers seem to be quite open about it but the shortage of a few German motorcycles isn't going to get on Sky News or in the Daily Mail. They barely covered the actual floods as it is far more important to know where a government minister goes on holiday or if some footballer will leave Italy or North London.

dealers seem to be quite open about it but the shortage of a few German motorcycles isn't going to get on Sky News or in the Daily Mail. They barely covered the actual floods as it is far more important to know where a government minister goes on holiday or if some footballer will leave Italy or North London.

Understand what you say, but I was really thinking about on here, where I've found nothing and also when trying Web searches.

I've got a 1200rs he could buy when I get back from Spain on it in mid October. Great bike fully loaded, save himself a fortune :D

Back
Top Bottom