New resident in my garage

I should probably say at this point that it isn't mine. Belongs to a mate who doesn't have anywhere to store it.

He bought it on Ebay semi-accidentally during a (very) late night session. Wouldn't be so bad (we've all done something similar, maybe not for a five-figure sum, but similar in principle), but he doesn't even have a moped licence.

Ha! Absolutely perfect. :)

Do you know who built it ?

I'm afraid not. The circumstances of it's purchase didn't include much research.

To my untrained eye it seems to have been very well put together. If anyone has an idea who might have built it I'm sure the owner would be interested (now he's sober).

I'm afraid not. The circumstances of it's purchase didn't include much research.

To my untrained eye it seems to have been very well put together. If anyone has an idea who might have built it I'm sure the owner would be interested (now he's sober).

Ah ok. Would be nice to know.

Assume it’s in your garage - so his wife does not ask awkward questions?

Assume it’s in your garage - so his wife does not ask awkward questions?
Could be. He'll also have to account for his time when he does his 'CBT to Full Licence in a Week' course that he's just booked.

I so hope he's going to do his test on it, straight-though pipes and all.

Suspect it will be up for sale after the first ride……

Riding position like a half opened pen knife...

The riding position is not quite as bad as it looks. The main problem with it is that it doesn't give you much scope for taking the bumps on your knees. You can slightly raise your arse in anticipation of a speed bump, but this just results in the seat whacking you in the bollocks on the bikes upward trajectory.

Ergonomically, it's very far from perfect.

The riding position is not quite as bad as it looks. The main problem with it is that it doesn't give you much scope for taking the bumps on your knees. You can slightly raise your arse in anticipation of a speed bump, but this just results in the seat whacking you in the bollocks on the bikes upward trajectory.

Ergonomically, it's very far from perfect.

Those "sprung" seats look good but are very unforgiving on real-world roads with their bumps and undulations... the springs can't really absorb the energy from the shock and the lower back gets a nasty jolt. I know as I have a classic "spring" seat on my Crossbones and even though it's a more conservative design the lower spine takes a whack on any "bad bumps" that sneak up on you. The riding position overall is ergonomically really challenging over distance too. And they are heavy bikes quite often... approaching 700 lbs or thereabouts.

But they really stand out and that's what draws attention. They catch the eye.

Those "sprung" seats look good but are very unforgiving on real-world roads with their bumps and undulations... the springs can't really absorb the energy from the shock and the lower back gets a nasty jolt. I know as I have a classic "spring" seat on my Crossbones and even though it's a more conservative design the lower spine takes a whack on any "bad bumps" that sneak up on you. The riding position overall is ergonomically really challenging over distance too. And they are heavy bikes quite often... approaching 700 lbs or thereabouts.

Worst of all you try and raise your arse in anticipation of the bump. This results in the seat jumping up to hit you in the nads.

Isn’t your bike a soft tail.? The sprung seat being merely for aesthetics rather than comfort….

Isn’t your bike a soft tail.? The sprung seat being merely for aesthetics rather than comfort….

Well, the HD MoCo would say not. Every FLSTSB was supplied from new with the standard factory sprung seat; they even made a video illustrating how much effort had been put in towards designing and building the sprung seat.

A few owners do put on a "conventional" seat (not that there are many FLSTSB's out there to begin with) but most I've seen have the sprung seat. I think aesthetically it is better but I can say from experience that 100 miles is the max .... but I'm old and have a dodgy back, so I would say that ;)

I'm far from a Harley expert but AFAIK the Crossbones has a sprung seat, but also a sprung rear suspension. A featherbed compared with this.

Could be. He'll also have to account for his time when he does his 'CBT to Full Licence in a Week' course that he's just booked.

I so hope he's going to do his test on it, straight-though pipes and all.

It's gonna be a bitch through the cones...

That's what I was thinking. It must have the turning circle of the QE2.
Indeed, I appreciate that this bike is designed to attract attention, but not the sort of attention you get when doing an eleventeen point turn in a busy high street.

I'm far from a Harley expert but AFAIK the Crossbones has a sprung seat, but also a sprung rear suspension. A featherbed compared with this.

Yes, very true. It's a 2009 machine and having tried many other Harleys (newer models as well as older models) it's a pleasure to go back to. Shame they had to stop building them.

Back
Top Bottom