Mini DV to computer

Deleted account 231205001

Reaction score
I’m after a bit of advice on transferring my old MINI DV tapes to a computer hard drive. Is it just a case of buying a lead that connects the Mini DV camcorder to the computer then using a programme to convert it?.

pretty much, if they still make it... or a capture card, to take the video output into a device to transcode to USB (which be easier) as the fire wrire "1394" connector is considered pretty old school now

capture cards from magwell are pretty solid...!

pretty much, if they still make it... or a capture card, to take the video output into a device to transcode to USB (which be easier) as the fire wrire "1394" connector is considered pretty old school now

capture cards from magwell are pretty solid...!

Thanks. I’ll have a look at their website.

Your camera will have a FireWire or USB port, if it’s FireWire you should be able to get a converter. I’ve got all the gear so if you’re struggling I can do it if you send me the tapes and a hard drive.

Do you know which is the right capture card please?

depends on the output on your camera, if it's phono plugs, HDMI, mini HDMI this is where the whole plan usually takes a massive nose dive :)

what you want is the signal to end up as a USB3 signal so you computer will think it's an external webcam and handle the capture from there, so it's less complex and not so IT heavy in trying to make it work

give that thing a go it seems just the ticket....

Similar but way cheaper? No screen or fancy interfaces for stuff you don't need.
This

Run each tape into a file, collect the files in a folder then burn folder to DVD.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom