Commuter Gear

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Given the new trend to hybrid working, me and the wife are cutting from 2 cars to 1. This does mean I may have to start commuting occasionally by bike on the odd day we both need to be in the office.
I want some biking trousers and boots that I donÂ’t need to change out of when I get to the office. I have seen RevÂ’It Alpha trousers on sports bike shop.com
Does anyone else have any other suggestions? (Avoiding denim).
Thanks

Given the new trend to hybrid working, me and the wife are cutting from 2 cars to 1. This does mean I may have to start commuting occasionally by bike on the odd day we both need to be in the office.
I want some biking trousers and boots that I donÂ’t need to change out of when I get to the office. I have seen RevÂ’It Alpha trousers on sports bike shop.com
Does anyone else have any other suggestions? (Avoiding denim).
Thanks

The only suggestion I can give is to get a decent oversuit (Like an Aerostich). I'd have thought that any decent biking trousers are going to be unsuitable for sitting in a 20c office for any length of time. I'd rather spend 5 minutes taking off my heavy boots and oversuit and putting on a pair of normal footwear than sit in bike kit.

You are not commuting daily, only occasionally. Who, in their right mind, would want to sit around in the office, in clothing designed to ride a motorcycle in, even if only occasionally?

As suggested in post #2, get yourself a decent oversuit. I have the BMW version, for the very few times I have to commute across London on my motorbike. My office suit, shirt and tie, I wear underneath. I ride from E1 to Battersea, drop my bike off for a service, leave my kit there and travel back to the City on the bus or the tube.

PS You haven’t told us how far the commute is, nor whether the few times you’ll do it will be in the warm months or the cold wet ones. I am betting the former.

PPS Aerostich, used to be the holy grail for bods on this site. They have dropped out of fashion / demand. They are still very good. See lots of useful hints and tips on how to avoid import duty and other rip-off taxes.

Good suggestion thanks. It will be mostly when the weather is good I expect. If it’s mid winter and I don’t have a car I am not going to the office.

But, there are halfway houses out there, I don’t want to sit in the office in heavy duty biking gear obviously, hence my question on anyone with experience of gear I do not need to change out of, biking jeans could work but looking for something that looks less casual.

I will continue my research thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a number of manufacturers that do cargo riding trousers that are somewhat smarter than the usual jeans. Klim come to mind but there are others. Matched with a pair of short laced boots; I have a pair of Dainese boots that look like smart casual shoes; they should be what you are after.

I'd rather spend 5 minutes taking off my heavy boots and oversuit and putting on a pair of normal footwear than sit in bike kit.

Having spent 5 years commuting 20 miles each way into Canary Wharf, I could not agree more.

I couldn’t agree more. Proper bike kit to ride in and get change when you get there. If nothing else working a full day in wet or damp kit is miserable and not very professional.

Pack a set of fresh underpants and socks too… waterproof trousers always fail at the worst time, and usually in the crotch.

My no1 thing for commuting is the Givi Trekker 58L top box. It’s big enough to take a full set of bike kit (helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, trousers) and unlike panniers doesn’t effect your ability to filter.

My occasional commute is 10 miles each way. I just wear normal jeans and put over trousers on if it is cold or wet. They don't offer much protection but I'm an irresponsible rebel. I have 2 sets, one just waterproof, the Weise pair are padded and very toasty in winter. I'm sure there are versions with better protection.

I wear my Daytona boots which can be worn all day but a bit warm in summer so I keep a pair of casual shoes in the office.

In cooler weather I wear a regular fleece under my bike jacket rather than the original liner. This then doubles up as a casual jacket if I want to go for a walk at lunchtime.

By the time my laptop has negotiated its way through all the network security bollocks I can have my outer layer hung up and be sat at my desk.

My ex worked at BAT on Millbank; her boss would dry his underpants on the office radiator after commuting on a GN400. I was never sure which was the most offensive.

Back
Top Bottom