Between Suffolk and Cairnryan - New bike, driving home recommend accom

joegrimes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm picking up a k1600gt shortly and will be driving from Suffolk to Cairnryan, looking recommendations for somewhere to stay on road up which has secure parking, not gravel, usually I'd horse on through to port but want to experience and learn new bike on the way, basically I'm a shortass looking somewhere enroute to stay preferably out of city nd won't break bank

it would help to know what time you need to be at the port and therefore how close plus what route will you take? Google gives 3 choices from Ipswich without taking into consideration a scenic detour.

Leaving Suffolk roughly 2pm on Friday 20th and going to book open ferry for 21st, know its not a long time, open to route suggestions

did very similar week before last with a few hours at home

from south suffolk - cairn is 7.5 hours - with stops or traffic thats 9

you could 4 hours to skeeby travelodge near scotch corner then carry on the next morning - a66 m6 a75

on a friday afternoon id do the liverpool a14 m1 a50 m6 then cross country to chester to go up wirral for the boat - as little m6 and m1 on a friday will lessen yer blood pressure

but id 4 hours to liverpool for the overnight ferry cos the cabin would cost less than somewhere on the way and youd have more time for stops as the boat isnt till 2230

For anyone like me, wondering where the bod is going and where, along a 400 mile distance he might like to stop - along with suggestions as to which roads he might ride - this is it:

ce27d0dcbf63843c0bde9ae2bb8984e0.png

He’s short, riding a 1600, wants somewhere secure, not too expensive, no gravel and not in a city. He leaves Suffolk at 14:00 on a Friday.

If you want to break back of journey, the holiday inn at Dumfries is out of town, very quiet and safe, and a nice place.

Nice stroll into town, it’s a good option if you don’t mind a longer day 1.

If you fancy it, let me know, I may well be able to make it free too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to break back of journey, the holiday inn at Dumfries is out of town, very quiet and safe, and a nice place.

Nice stroll into town, it’s a good option if you don’t mind a longer day 1.

If you fancy it, let me know, I may well be able to make it free too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great offer Sir

Looking at the map, I'd plump for Kirkby Stephen. Nice little market town with some great roads in and out. 270 mile first day, 150 mile second day.

Looking at the map, I'd plump for Kirkby Stephen. Nice little market town with some great roads in and out. 270 mile first day, 150 mile second day.

Similar, thinking Barnard Castle or Richmond - both just off the A1(M) and he could take the lovely route through Teesdale to Alston, then Brampton into D&G. I wouldn't worry too much about parking in those areas.

There are a cracking routes in Simon's book that will help you out. But if I had to ride it this will be the the route.

Thetford to Mundford, to Swaffham, to Kings Lynn, to Colsterworth via Spalding and Bourne (boring bit), Colsterworth to Ancaster or keep going straight on the A52 and turn right to Sleaford (don't mind the average speed cameras on the A52, cameras are facing the wrong way), Sleaford to Horncastle, to Louth (past Cadwell Park), Louth to Market Rasen, Market Rasen to Humber Bridge and on to Beverly, to Wetwang, to Malton (you might go past Castle Howard, an experience just to ride the old road through the gates), to Helmsley. You can stay in Helmsley at The Feathers. Parking round the back. Food is very good to excellent. The Black Swan is undergoing restoration unfortunately.

Helmsley (via Sutton Bank) to Thirsk, to Rippon. From here you can go southerly or northerly route.

Southerly. Rippon to Pateley Bridge, to Grassington, to Kettlewell to Ayesgarth (Ayesgarth Falls), to Hawes, to Thwaite, to Brough.

Northerly. Rippon to Masham, to Leyburn, to Reeth, to Whaw, to Kaber, to Brough.

Brough take the A66 to Penrith. Penrith to Alston :thumb2 (stop at the top which was the Hartside Cafe), Alston to Lambley, to Brampton, to Longtown, to Gretna Green. Follow the A75 all the way to Stanraer or turn off at Castle Douglas (Red Kite feeding station at Laurieston) to New Galloway, to Newton Steward and back on the A75.

Accommodation is always a discussion on these pages. I have not really bothered with bike friendly hotels or parking. Once you are in the countryside few people will actually bother a motorcycle. The Buck in Reeth has got none. Had a very good sleep there. The bike stayed right outside the door of The Buccleuch & Queensberry Arms in Thornhill on a busy road and nobody tried to nick the instruments. All you need for such a heavy bike and being a short arse is just hard standing. You will be fine. If you look through the route above just pick a spot that looks ok. Hawes is popular with bikers and it has a community garage just up the road from The Crown. But book ahead, the place is popular. Enjoy.

Is this a brand new bike and therefore 'running in' during the journey?

If so you need to steer clear of long dual carriageway/motorway stints. You are not just running in the engine you are also running in the gearbox and other mechanicals as well as bedding in brakes.

If you are not running in then to go to the north west I always use A14, M1, A50, M6 as suggested by Hairnet600

Sorry can't help re accommodation.

tom

'd normally stop off in the lake district but it would be too busy this time of year. If you are going direct I would scoot up to Scotch Corner and stay in Barnard Castle or Alston. Nice senic ride across the North Pennines and from Alston about 3 to 4 hrs (depending were you stay) hours to the Boat via New Galloway instead of the A75. The ride from the North Peninnes has little traffic on it as does the run to New Galloway (turn right after Dumfries) and back down to Newton Stewart. :D

'd normally stop off in the lake district but it would be too busy this time of year. If you are going direct I would scoot up to Scotch Corner and stay in Barnard Castle or Alston. Nice senic ride across the North Pennines and from Alston about 3 to 4 hrs (depending were you stay) hours to the Boat via New Galloway instead of the A75. The ride from the North Peninnes has little traffic on it as does the run to New Galloway (turn right after Dumfries) and back down to Newton Stewart. :D

That's the way to do it! :thumb2

Is everyone who is suggesting routes and places for the bod to stay, keeping an eye on the departure time from Suffolk as being 14:00? On a similar vein, unless I missed it, I am not sure if the OP has told us what time his ferry leaves the next day.

boat is leaving 3.30pm so need to be there 2.30pm or so, love the suggestions so far, been busy looking over the routes, thanks

A1 to Ripon, turn left and head for Grassington. From Grassington set the Sat Nav for Bardon Mill via Reeth, Middleton in Teesdale and Alston. Overnight in The Bowes Hotel (it's a pub with nice rooms) if there's no availability here try Haltwhistle. The following morning after a leisurely breakfast set the sat nav for Cairnryan via Balmaclellan.
This will give you a mix of A roads, B roads and single track roads and the chance to be impressed with just how versatile and brilliant your new bike is. It will also give you the option of ignoring the scenic option and changing to 'fastest time' should one end up chasing one's tail time wise. You'll also see some of England and south west Scotland's loveliest scenery which makes the 1st 2 days of your trip part of your holiday rather than it just being about getting from A-B.
If the 1st day is too long cut out the Dales and set the sat nav to Bardon Mill/Haltwhistle but definitely go via Middleton in Teesdale and Alston, you won't be disappointed.

Whichever route you go, wherever you stay have a great time, enjoy the new bike & stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom