Exhaust Flap Fault

An update and my musings on my stuck flap.

Pulled the can off and lubricated the hell out of it and particularly the bottom bearing(?) and freed it up massively. The flap still sticks in the fully closed position although it easily releases with minimal pressure and I am not sure the flap reaches the fully closed position in normal operation although I stand to be corrected.

I slipped the can back on and can confirm 100% my bike (2018 1200gs) does not cycle the flap at ignition on but it works as expected with the engine running.

I've ordered a tube of Permatex nickel anti seize lubricant and will add some of that once it arrives but I put the bike back together for ride to work this morning.

Now call me skeptical but does it seem odd that BMW have changed the programming of the bikes so that a) the flap does not cycle on ignition on and b) they've removed the dashboard warning of failure? Seems to me that they know they've got a problem with this device and instead of fixing it, they've deliberately hidden the issue. Nothing like a nice exhaust rumble to disguise a squeaking flap?

Back to this morning's commute, I am absolutely convinced the now functioning flap DOES make a difference other than pure noise control. My bike absolutely felt smoother at lower revs (near idle) and particularly when pulling away. Prior to freeing the flap I felt the bike wanted to bog down and almost stall on very gentle pull aways. Now its as smooth as silk by comparison. My commute is from edge of the M25 into the outskirts of the city so its a pretty sedate ride in with plenty of stop start stuff and I tend to ride at lower revs for the most part. I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed any such difference?

An update and my musings on my stuck flap.

Pulled the can off and lubricated the hell out of it and particularly the bottom bearing(?) and freed it up massively. The flap still sticks in the fully closed position although it easily releases with minimal pressure and I am not sure the flap reaches the fully closed position in normal operation although I stand to be corrected.

I slipped the can back on and can confirm 100% my bike (2018 1200gs) does not cycle the flap at ignition on but it works as expected with the engine running.

I've ordered a tube of Permatex nickel anti seize lubricant and will add some of that once it arrives but I put the bike back together for ride to work this morning.

Now call me skeptical but does it seem odd that BMW have changed the programming of the bikes so that a) the flap does not cycle on ignition on and b) they've removed the dashboard warning of failure? Seems to me that they know they've got a problem with this device and instead of fixing it, they've deliberately hidden the issue. Nothing like a nice exhaust rumble to disguise a squeaking flap?

Back to this morning's commute, I am absolutely convinced the now functioning flap DOES make a difference other than pure noise control. My bike absolutely felt smoother at lower revs (near idle) and particularly when pulling away. Prior to freeing the flap I felt the bike wanted to bog down and almost stall on very gentle pull aways. Now its as smooth as silk by comparison. My commute is from edge of the M25 into the outskirts of the city so its a pretty sedate ride in with plenty of stop start stuff and I tend to ride at lower revs for the most part. I'd be interested if anyone else has noticed any such difference?

There is still a warning light if the flap is stuck on the 1250s. There has never been a waring light prior to the 1250s. My 1250, the flap still cycles. The flap is primarily noise only and has no impact on ride ability, the flap is after the cat, it has no back pressure function or helps how the engine runs. That is the view of BMW techs and plenty of research, not mine. I will have a look at a brand new 1250 I have in my garage later to see if the flap function has changed, ie not cycle on ignition on :)

There is still a warning light if the flap is stuck on the 1250s. There has never been a waring light prior to the 1250s. My 1250, the flap still cycles. The flap is primarily noise only and has no impact on ride ability, the flap is after the cat, it has no back pressure function or helps how the engine runs. That is the view of BMW techs and plenty of research, not mine. I will have a look at a brand new 1250 I have in my garage later to see if the flap function has changed, ie not cycle on ignition on :)

My bad on the warning light, I was under the impression one came up on earlier models, I stand corrected. For a flap that is for noise control only it seems to open up at anything other than barely idle speed if this video is anything to go by - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-pPKzu_NI

The only other variable I can think of in my case is that I filled the bike with E10 fuel 5 minutes from home prior to freeing the flap. I usually use super unleaded but those pumps were dry.

My bad on the warning light, I was under the impression one came up on earlier models, I stand corrected. For a flap that is for noise control only it seems to open up at anything other than barely idle speed if this video is anything to go by - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-pPKzu_NI

The only other variable I can think of in my case is that I filled the bike with E10 fuel 5 minutes from home prior to freeing the flap. I usually use super unleaded but those pumps were dry.

I have just had a look at the new 1250 and you are correct in that the flap doesn't cycle on ignition on, it now only moves with the engine on. But the odd thing is, when I switched off the bike, the flap stayed half closed and then only went to fully open when I switched the ignition on again, before starting. I would think this is a backwards step, because it could then stick in that position instead of fully open if the bike was left. If you do a search on here, there have been some quite long flap discussions. Prior to the 1250s, the stuck flap used to just put an error code into the ecu, so many didn't even know the flap was stuck until the bike was connected up at a dealer.

I have just had a look at the new 1250 and you are correct in that the flap doesn't cycle on ignition on, it now only moves with the engine on. But the odd thing is, when I switched off the bike, the flap stayed half closed and then only went to fully open when I switched the ignition on again, before starting. I would think this is a backwards step, because it could then stick in that position instead of fully open if the bike was left. If you do a search on here, there have been some quite long flap discussions. Prior to the 1250s, the stuck flap used to just put an error code into the ecu, so many didn't even know the flap was stuck until the bike was connected up at a dealer.

My light hearted cynical reasoning why it doesnt now cycle the flapper valve :--
If it doesn't cycle the flap valve it doesn't squeak and if it doesn't squeak the customer doesn't know its about to stick. If the customer doesn't know its stuck (because its stopped squeaking) they wont complain or claim under warranty. :) :) . Only problem with that theory is people say it now flags an error on 1250gs on the clocks whereas it didn't on the 1200s. Now they just need to stop it flagging an error code in ecu & error on tft and we'll all be no wiser :) .

I washed my bike today to get a load of winter salt and shit

no noise from the valve, when i started the engine

i tried it a few times silent

Pretty sure it's failed I'll get them to check it at the next service, :)

I washed my bike today to get a load of winter salt and shit

no noise from the valve, when i started the engine

i tried it a few times silent

Pretty sure it's failed I'll get them to check it at the next service, :)

Just remove the black plastic cover and try to turn the shaft. Maybe it is stuck.

Have you found much difference after your remap ?

The remap improves the fuelling - especially noticeably smoother at part throttle openings. I was always aware of this.
Bike is smoother - less hunting at lower revs/speed. However the difference is suttle and noticeable. For me it is the knowing the bike is fuelling correctly. That said I rode a 1250 and the fueling was very good so would not have a 1250 done.

For me - yes it was worth it. EU4 R1200gs LC

All they do is ensure that the Air - Fuel mixture is optimal through out the rev range. At 80% plus throttle opening the improvements become less noticeable.
What I like about BHP is the no nonsense approach who explains and shares AFR with you.

No Magic such as hidden partitions and 20bhp gains. Just honest straight up talking. I asked them how lean do they run and their answer was not as lean as it is made out....
No high pressure sales. Spoke them at least 3 times before pulling the trigger.

If you are happy with your fueling then it will not make much difference. They state a max of 3 bhp increase...which is believable.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the quick reply. Nice to know there genuine. Will give them a call..

I've own 2 x gs first 1 was a 2018 and the headers were changed due to the exhaust valve sounding like a rusty gate after 6 months use. Traded that bike in for a 2019 1250 and after another 6 months the headers were changed again on the 1250 for the same reason. Due to Covid I've only done 2,500 miles the last 2 years and the bike is about to go out of warranty so I took the cover off to inspect the operation. Like others I thought the valve movement had stopped when the ignition was switched on because the new valve is silent but I noticed straight away silent movement. Then I started the engine and it moves when you increase the revs followed by closing each time so a lot of movement. It would appear BMW have changed the design because after 2 years its operation is perfect, long may it continue!

I've own 2 x gs first 1 was a 2018 and the headers were changed due to the exhaust valve sounding like a rusty gate after 6 months use. Traded that bike in for a 2019 1250 and after another 6 months the headers were changed again on the 1250 for the same reason. Due to Covid I've only done 2,500 miles the last 2 years and the bike is about to go out of warranty so I took the cover off to inspect the operation. Like others I thought the valve movement had stopped when the ignition was switched on because the new valve is silent but I noticed straight away silent movement. Then I started the engine and it moves when you increase the revs followed by closing each time so a lot of movement. It would appear BMW have changed the design because after 2 years its operation is perfect, long may it continue!

Nope still an issue. I help look after a fleet of 1250RTs, all of them bar one, which was new in Sept have had new headers. One of them is back on Tuesday for its second set. My own bike a 2019 has had two sets so far.

Just checked my 1250gs 2022 model (out of curiousity & crap weather :) ). When turning the ignition on the valve doesn't move from its static position (which is fully open). Start the bike and it immediately part closes , after about a minute and when it has warmed up a bit it closes a bit further. Then when switching off it stays there until you next switch ignition on and it goes to fully open.
Previous 1250 i had used to cycle the valve from open to close & back to open every time you switched the ignition on. That was why you heard them squeak on ignition on. (until one of the software updates changed it to not cycle).
Wish the weather would improve :) :)

Back
Top Bottom